86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extra Auxiliary gas fuel tanks???

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra Auxiliary gas fuel tanks???

Id like to get some better range with a full tank. I know you can buy an auxiliary uel tanks for diesels and gas trucks but can you legally gravity feed them into your stock existing fuel fill hose or pump it into your existing gas tank?

does anyone know where to buy one that will preferably fit under a in bed crossover toolbox? im looking for at least 10 gallons but will go as much as 20.

ive found transfer flow but they only make kits for the tundra. I ive found fuel cells too. just wondering if anyone knows of any?

I saw a post on some forum but cant find it now about Toyota Tacoma fuel tank that goes where the spare tire is.

id be ok with possibly adding just a fuel tank underneath and linking the two fuel tanks together and having one feeding the other. if that's legal. and if I can find tank to use.

thanks travis
Old 10-14-2013, 12:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

As long as both your tanks are the same level .

If you have one higher it will just flow out the vent of the lower tank kinda ruins the extra capacity .

The same if you have a tank in the bed if you have a solenoid valve and it sticks open you have a mess .

Manual valve you would need to stop and open it.

Your best bet is remember you have to have easy access to fill the tank and the fact unless your running a carb all the EFI vehicles have your pump in the tank.

You would need to have a pump in your second tank /fuel cell which could cause a plumbing nightmare.

It all comes down to what is legal for where you live.

If you gravity feed and you miscalculate how much is in the lower tank when the valve is opened till you discover the error of your ways how much fuel is running on your vehicle and the ground
Old 10-14-2013, 08:07 AM

I was planning on running a switch to the other fuel pump (wherever the extra tank is) and wiring it up to a relay and have the switch control the ground or power of the control side (depending on what wire I get that turns off when the key is off) and when the stock tank gets low turn on the extra fuel pump til the tank gets full according to the dash gauge then turn it off.

I think if id run the hose from the extra tank to the stock tank's fill tube I wouldnt have to drill or tap into the stock tank. Plus I could put a manual valve so when I dont want to run the extra fuel like just driving around town I could ensure no fuel was leaking into the tank or I couldnt accidentally hit the switch.

If I ran dual underbed tanks like one where the spare tire is since my winch is broke anyway and tire can go into the bed or whatever. I could do the same thing as above with this idea. And then use the same fill tube hole so id fill both tanks together. Idlike to have an idea on how to have one tank feed the other.

Diesel trucks have dual tanks and make it work with no real issues some have a switch to switch between tanks and some have small tank tjat feeds the big tank and sone have tanks that draw evenly and some have a crossover pipe between tanks like semis do.

I know this can be done but was wondering if anyone has or knows of anyone who has? Farmers make it work so I think I could somehow.

Thanks Travis.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They make large heavy duty trucks with two tanks that are completely legal. I don't think anyone's going to notice a second tank or care, unless it's in a location that could be damaged (protrudes or on exterior).

Your idea with the pump to supply the primary tank is you best bet I would figure. Except that filling the auxiliary tank would be difficult. Crossover pipe would work... but might be hard unless you're really good with welding. You don't want any leaks.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Check the classifieds there was one recently list off a 1st gen that looked the the old northwest fab tank I had on my 86 4runner with the hole that allowed you to still have a spare. If I wasn't broke I would buy it.

a ford tank is also another, easy option

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...l#post20963273
Old 10-14-2013, 10:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How about a regualr tank set up.....then extra tank has pump on switch that fills first tank from second tank when its low.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 PM

someone also makes one for the fj's..may look into that.
I believe it was manafre(?)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by HighLux
How about a regualr tank set up.....then extra tank has pump on switch that fills first tank from second tank when its low.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. I want a cheap steel or aluminum tank and that would take a cheapest possible fuel pump. Any ideas of what car or where to buy? 10-20 gallons that would fit somewhere underneath the bed?
Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 PM
RSR

These folks used to make/sell the same tank as Downey sold for the pickup: http://www.nwmp.com/ $500-600 range I think.

But as of August 12, 2013, they sold their fuel tank business to these folks:
Sunset Metal Fab
1062 Rose Avenue
Vernonia, OR 97064
(503) 429-0895

The tank mounted in spare tire location. Removed the curved tire brackets, but left your spare tire winch in place. Lowered your rear tire a couple of inches, but a pretty optimal setup IMHO. The only worry is that it gravity fed into your main tank through the drain hole... Some configured custom pumps for that tank to pump into the top rather than bottom of your main fuel tank...
Old 10-17-2013, 12:37 PM
RSR

Here's a used one on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171148700143?lpid=82
Old 04-11-2014, 01:34 AM

. . .

Last edited by CAdot; 07-10-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:47 AM

I saw an article a couple years ago where someone took 20 gal tank from an Isuzu trooper and it fit perfectly where the spare tire would hang and they just moved that to a swingout carrier on back. Ill see if I can find the write up, it was really thorough
Old 04-11-2014, 04:50 AM

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equip...fuel_tank.html

here it is, not as thorough as I remembered but really good info and pics
Old 08-04-2014, 01:56 PM
RSR

Just fyi, I did inquire to the folks, Sunset Metal Fab, that purchased NWMP's tank business -- same folks that built the Downey tanks.

SMF will build tanks for our trucks, but they'd be custom manufacture and cost low to mid $800s plus shipping. They have a few in stock on their site for other makes/models but not the former NWMP catalog listed...

'91-'95 tank is the one for my gen truck. Some different iterations for 4runners and earlier trucks judging by the email I received.

All things considered, it's a mod I plan to move forward with at some point.

Just wanted to update since that was an unknown.

If there's an interest, we could probably organize a group buy to knock the price down. Most of their other tanks are ~$200 cheaper which a larger run should allow them to lower pricing.

If others have an interest, please let me know.

Thank you.

Last edited by RSR; 08-04-2014 at 02:00 PM.