Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Exhaust fell off this morning... Anyone know the stud size?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust fell off this morning... Anyone know the stud size?

So apparently my exhast fell off this morning... Was driving up to the corner store to get me some coffee and all of the sudden I noticed my truck was sounding loud as hell. I thought GROOVY! As I was walking back to my truck some highschool kids came up to me holding what was left of my exhaust train.

I guess I lost the nuts that hold it to the manifold, and the hangers just couldn't hold it.

SO... Does anyone know off hand what size these 3 studs or nuts are?

I still have the studs, so I just need to find out the size so I can go pick up some nuts (speaking of which, what kind of nuts are they?) at the hardware store.

Can't for the life of me think of the name of that place. It's post-manifold pre-cat. GRRRRR That's gonna piss me off all day.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:16 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Crazy Redneck Clint,

This could ONLY happen to you!

No idea on the size.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:20 AM

Lol somehow I just KNEW it'd be you who replied first.

I swear, I have the worse luck in the world. But hell, least I can laugh about it!
Old 05-28-2008, 06:23 AM

I at lease plan on being semi productive today. Gonna weld the front and rear spider gears (pissed the hell outta me yesterday while offroading), chop those body mounts that get in the way of front leaf's shackles for more flex, and probably build a front bumper.

No beer today. Super hungover...
Old 05-28-2008, 09:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
10mm shank x 1.25 thread pitch on the studs.

I believe your asking about the muffler shop?

Who put this truck together, Clint? (Prior to your modifications, of course.) First, it's the oil pan bolts. Now, it's the exhaust pipe....lol. Have you considered going over the truck with wrench?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
May have to go to the dealer, I doubt you'll find steel lock nuts that size at a hardware store. Don't use nylock nuts for exhaust.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:07 AM

No, he won't....lol. I've been down that road. Might get lucky at an O'Reilly or something. I've never had luck with that, though.

Salvage, maybe?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:31 PM

Dude this truck was bone stock when I picked it up from the origional owner who was the tender young age of 78. Been having a wrench-a-thon today tightening every bolt and nut that I could find. Even the gas tank hanger bolts were loose. How the hell does this $h!t get loosened in normal course of events!?

And that down pipe is what I created with what I created with what I had left after this morning.

I can get any bolt or nut in existance, as long as I know the size. There's a fastner (bolt and nut shop) place right up the road that's never let me down yet. So it's M10 1.25 pitch?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah that sounds about right but hey i was driving and my o2 sencer fell off so i got a new one cause it broke the wire and then putting it in i broke a bolt lol so its not leaking or anything and it in with only one bolt lol
Old 05-28-2008, 02:50 PM

Pfft, you ain't need o2 sensors or cats. Thats just hippy brian-washing!
Old 05-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doesnt your truck run mad lean with no o2 sensor?? i have efi trial rig and i dont wanna fork out 200 bucks for a o2 sensor
Old 05-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
at least all it did was fall off...

Old 05-28-2008, 03:44 PM

All envirobrainwashhippypoop aside (I happen to be one....in a way ), I don't see anyone will get an EFI system to run well without an O2 sensor.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They can run, but it'll be on safe maps and you'll get shieety mileage.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:27 PM

Ran the origional swampthing for years without an o2 sensor. Did great, was getting about 22mpg highway wth 4.88s and 33x12.5s. Never had any problem other than blowing the headgasket once. But I think that's from running that seafoam treatment through the vac hoses. I've never once had a good experience with that seafoam stuff. It'll run great for a couple hundred miles, then all sorts of problems creep up. Fubar'ed the +2mm marine hg on my 12v cummins with arp headstuds after 200miles post treatment, toasted two lawnmowers, friend's 350sbc had to have extensive top end work after his treatment, and my cousin had all sorts of valve tap on his 99 f250's v10 after doing it to his. Call me crazy, but there seems to be a pattern there.

Though on the swamthing, I will admit, the hg DID blow after doing a treatment, but I did also drive it into a lake within that time frame too

Last edited by SwampThing; 05-28-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM

So much for theory, then. A person could read all day long about how Toyota EFI's work and then someone shows up to disprove it. I guess the ECU just adapts. Hell....I dunno.

You didn't have the EGR hooked up either, did you? Did you advance the timing or anything?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:26 PM

Yeah I definitely think the ecu compensated for lack of o2 sensor. I just thought it always ran rich because of the compensation. Though it coulda been I had no problems due to the fact that I'm pretty much at sea level.

But yeah I also got rid of all the emissions I could. Killed the cat, no muffler, took off the egr and made a block off plate, removed all ac componets, redneck-ized the intake, played with the timing till it purred like a kitty (dunno if it ended up being advaced or retarded though). Could have been a combination of things that made the swampthing run like a raped ape.

Dunno. Its anyone's guess.

Last edited by SwampThing; 05-28-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:46 PM

The Swampthing ran rich? And, you still got 22mpg on the highway?

Hmmm...I gotta figure somethin' out. After my rebuild, I'm still only getting 17mpg. Before, I was getting 18-19. This is with mostly flat/mild hill highway, inner city driving (some fairly good hills), and hauling. Plus, I've been running 31" a/t's and stock gears, but that was even before the rebuild.

You see, my O2 light has been coming on for a long time and haven't figured out what the problem is, yet. Advancing the timing leaned it out a bit, so it doesn't come on as much, but damn....I want better mileage. I'd figured tighter tolerances (new rings, bearings, etc.), rebuilt injectors, and lighter oil would net me better than the previous 18-19mpg, but it hasn't done so.

I need a new auxiliary air valve....I know that. I have no EGR and hollowed the cat (keepin' the muffler, though....can't stand the noise ), and my coolant sensor, TPS, ECU, O2 sensor are all good. Blah! Just need a diesel and veggie oil...lol!

I will say, she runs rather well despite the mileage, though.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:58 PM

Yours a manual? I myself have never owned an auto, so I dunno what their comparative mileage is. Gear the beast! I'm a firm believer that gears make the biggest difference...

Elevation probably has its factor too... Dunno what arkansas is.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Think Ozarks, Clint....Ozarks. That's where I live. Lots'o hills!

Mine is a 5spd. Wouldn't have it any other way. Unless, there was a 6spd. I could live with that!

Wish I could regear. My wife's '92 has 4.88's (3.0 a/t) I'd love to swap out and put some 5.29's in my stock 3rd's to put on hers. But, the money just ain't there. Probably never will be now that gasoline continues to rise. Oh well.....suck it up, eh?! Lol!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Exhaust fell off this morning... Anyone know the stud size?