86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

example of too much lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 03:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
example of too much lift

Watch this vid. The guy has way too much lift and his truck it unstable and barely controllable (though the operator could really improve on picking his lines).

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnqaCyEn0rQ&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]
Old 09-22-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks kinda wobbly to me, and the camera man was making me sick.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Dang, no carnage. How many times did he do that one hill. lol.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dipstik_90
Looks kinda wobbly to me, and the camera man was making me sick.
What looks wobbly to me is the entire truck, the suspension flexes and rebounds in an uncontrolled manner, and the COG is car too high. Perhaps a truck could be lifted that high with that suspension, but not a top heavy 4Runner.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
wow, talk about scary, i thought jaws was about to come outta my lcd
Old 09-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Pretty bold statement coming from a guy with a "pretty much stock" truck. That rig is not any taller than the other 10 million SASed Runners out there. When you run 35"+ tires and wheel things besides speed bumps your rig is going to move around some. I guarantee that video did not do any of those obstacles justice. My rig is set up identical to that rig and it works VERY well offroad. I have to say this thread is a FAIL!

Now this rig has too much lift! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuoab...eature=related

Last edited by UKMyers; 09-22-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:02 PM

thats ridiculous, i dont understand why people need to lift their yotas that much. That looks silly in so many different ways. He does conquer alot of rock stuff but it looks so sketchy the whole time.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by foskco87
thats ridiculous, i dont understand why people need to lift their yotas that much. That looks silly in so many different ways. He does conquer alot of rock stuff but it looks so sketchy the whole time.
So you can do things like this!

Seriously you guys are killing me. That is the normal height for a SASed Toyota.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UKMyers
Pretty bold statement coming from a guy with a "pretty much stock" truck. That rig is not any taller than the other 10 million SASed Runners out there. When you run 35"+ tires and wheel things besides speed bumps your rig is going to move around some. I guarantee that video did not do any of those obstacles justice. My rig is set up identical to that rig and it works VERY well offroad. I have to say this thread is a FAIL!

Now this rig has too much lift! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuoab...eature=related
i would have to agree a little my truck has 39.5 tsls and is probably higher than that and still kicks ass off road.

I wouldn't say his truck was tooo high i would say he needs a slightly higer spring rate and or stiffer shocks to help some of that excessive roll on that truck. i think it is a simple tuning issue and trust me he wasn't that close to anything dangerous i have had my truck way steeper angles than that!!!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:12 PM

i dont see any thing wrong with it. fail x2
Old 09-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Did he make it up half those obstacles without bouncing off to the side? No. A truck that wasn't bouncing around and swaying so much would have been able to stick to a line and make it through the obstacle.

His suspension is working against him, not for him. As much as I hate to admit it, this stock Jeeps suspension works well on this obstacle, even without lockers. He has a much easier time of it because is not spending all his energy avoiding a rollover.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seuUkNcVdb0[/YOUTUBE]
Old 09-22-2008, 04:23 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thank you joey!!

No that truck is not "lifted too high" it does need different springs and some better shocks (if he's even running them) and to possibly pic k better lines.. but like joey said, how many times does pictures or video of what your wheeling ACTUALLY do the terrain justice? that looks like your typical 4 or 5" front SAS and 63" chevys
Old 09-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

I think both the rig and driver did pretty well. The camera man did not do this justice. I've seen terrain like this traversed by many rigs and the suspension travel and aired down tires did what they should. Uneven irregular and angular surfaces are gonna shake wobble and flex any rig with 4 tires making contact in different ways. The driver did pretty well too, he seems to know his rigs capabilities and was easily able to back off before the point of no return. Too high " no way "
Old 09-22-2008, 04:28 PM

I dont see the problem with this
Old 09-22-2008, 04:30 PM

So you can do things like this!

Seriously you guys are killing me. That is the normal height for a SASed Toyota.
You built your rig for doing what you do. FOr what this guy is (trying) to do, his COG is too high. That's my position, have your own, your entitled to it.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:37 PM

fail x3, his is setup just like mine and other runner, his problem is he probly has stock gearing the the tcase so he is having to gas hard over the obstacles which makes him bounce a lot. mine did a lot of bouncing with the stock t-case. he has a lot of flex though which is awesome
Old 09-22-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
i would have to agree a little my truck has 39.5 tsls and is probably higher than that and still kicks ass off road.

I wouldn't say his truck was tooo high i would say he needs a slightly higer spring rate and or stiffer shocks to help some of that excessive roll on that truck. i think it is a simple tuning issue and trust me he wasn't that close to anything dangerous i have had my truck way steeper angles than that!!!
I agree, his 4Runner isn`t to high, he just needs a better set up, maybe some better shocks and springs to make it a bit more stable.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:18 PM

I think his rig looks like a good time. I don't think looked all that sketchy. More like flexy.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice truck, very inexperienced driver
Old 09-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fail x4
This one works well!

this one too.

AND this one!!

Last edited by Broomie's; 09-22-2008 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: example of too much lift