Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Everyones favorite, on a spool decision!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everyones favorite, on a spool decision!

Ok, I know this has been posted a million times but I cant find what Im looking for in the search, so please dont harass me:cry: Ok I going to probably spool my truck, reason why Im not getting a locker is because my strnd. pickup is super light in the rear and theres no point in buying a locker if it cant unlock do to weight, so I decide to go cheap and reliable, can I put this spool in myself, I am very mechanical and have done plenty of cv axel work and engine work, if that even matters, but how much would it cost to be done by a 4x4 shop? Im not switching gears, is there any thing that could talk me step through step? or should I just weld my spider gears together? money is a bg issue. Any advice will help
Old 09-08-2006, 05:53 PM

get a lunchbox locker, cheap and easy to install, there is plenty of weight to allow it to differentiate.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
having a fulltime locker and rain dont mix well
Old 09-08-2006, 11:00 PM

or snow. but you just have to learn how to drive it.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And tire wear is going to be extensive.

Fred
Old 09-09-2006, 06:23 AM

I've only welded thirds in off road only trucks, and there is NO way I would do it or a spool in a street driven truck. The two I have welded have held up fine over atleast a couple years of hardcore wheeling. If you can weld, I would just weld it. Be sure to do it right, I clean mine up super good, and then put it in the oven heat it up real good, turn the stick welder up and weld it real good, then put it back in the oven and let it slowly cool. Be sure to clean all the slag off before you reassemble. Or just save your time and waste your money and buy a spool.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:28 AM

if you want a spool looky here https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94394
Old 09-09-2006, 06:53 AM

If this is a trail truck only then you can use a spool but you will have best of both worlds with a lunch box locker. They are cheap, fairly easy to install and you can use them on the street without worrying about breaking an axle. In my own opinon, spools are for drag racing not off-road. They are for straight line performance not rough terrain.

James
Old 09-09-2006, 11:51 AM

I know that some of the people who posted above me have driven with lockers 'cuase it's in their sig lines. But how many have ever actually driven a spooled rear?

My '88 truck has had a spool for 3+ years, and it is pretty much just a trail rig. However, I do have to drive it to the trails (2-4 hours away) since it isn't a trailer queen (yet). Plus I drive it to the grocery sotre or to work (35 miles one way) a couple times a month.

When I was running 32" Swampers I had to run 30+ PSI to keep the chirping to a minimum. At that pressure it drove pretty good. Now that I'm running 36" Swampers I don't notice the spool at all, unless I end up on pavement somehow and I'm still at 8 or 10 PSI. I haven't noticed any premature tire wear due to the spool. My tires are waaaayyyy more damaged from wheeling that they are from road driving.

I had a Lock Right for 2+ years before I had my spool, and I prefer the spool. It's 100% predictable and doesn't bang, pop, and jerk like a cheap ass locker will.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by BeaterToyota
I know that some of the people who posted above me have driven with lockers 'cuase it's in their sig lines. But how many have ever actually driven a spooled rear?

My '88 truck has had a spool for 3+ years, and it is pretty much just a trail rig. However, I do have to drive it to the trails (2-4 hours away) since it isn't a trailer queen (yet). Plus I drive it to the grocery sotre or to work (35 miles one way) a couple times a month.

When I was running 32" Swampers I had to run 30+ PSI to keep the chirping to a minimum. At that pressure it drove pretty good. Now that I'm running 36" Swampers I don't notice the spool at all, unless I end up on pavement somehow and I'm still at 8 or 10 PSI. I haven't noticed any premature tire wear due to the spool. My tires are waaaayyyy more damaged from wheeling that they are from road driving.

I had a Lock Right for 2+ years before I had my spool, and I prefer the spool. It's 100% predictable and doesn't bang, pop, and jerk like a cheap ass locker will.

I have driven with a spool (Jeep) and for a DD it bites.
As you mentioned the tires chirp like crazy and they do wear a lot faster, and I'm talking about on road here.
Off road, as mentioned, it really doesn't matter much.

If you're going to install an auto locker I would strongly consider that recommend the Detroit over a LockRite or any other of the "lunchbox" style lockers.
The carrier style (Detroit) are much stronger and much better behaved on road.
An auto tranny also negates much of the auto lockers on road "bad" manners.

Fred
Old 09-09-2006, 08:42 PM

Where can I get a lunchbox locker? How much does an average one run for? I live in the desert and it snow probably once every 2 yeas and the snow last for about half the day, it doesnt rain much either, if at all. So keep that advice com'in.