86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engnbldr head, cam and header question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engnbldr head, cam and header question

I am looking for feedback from people that have done these specific mods.

It seems a popular build is the Street head from Engnbldr, torquer 268 or 270 cam and a header from either pacesetter or DT.

I am looking into this setup along with some balanced injectors and a 2.25 exhaust.

My questions are:

1 is the power increase worth the investment?

2 what kind of fuel increase/decrease should I expect.

I am running a stock truck with 235/75/15.

My truck is a 94 22RE 5 speed.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
search and you will find this answered many times.I have eb head with 268 cam(dont think the 270 is offered anymore) and all the mods except headers.I also rebuilt lower end at same time.Yes power is better.Cam allows it to pull up to 5k range and move truck.Cam doesnt have much below 2k.Mileage is same.Worth the money because I needed to rebuild.Wouldnt do it just to upgrade.The motor looses a bit on low end because of the bigger valves,but makes up for it while going up on ramps.My truck will be regeared to 4.56 this summer so I wont notice the lack of low end.You cant make a lot of power with these things,the cam justs shifts delivery around.I still clock between 18 to 23 mpg,city and highway respectively.I will try a header (ebay obx stainless)if my manifold ever cracks,but I cant imagine it will do much more than my increased pipe diameter exhaust.I have 2.25 exhaust and i think its a little big.If I did it over I would use 2 inch with a turbo style muffler so it wouldnt drone on highway.while your in motor upgrade to a steel guide timing chain{dont buy the expensive guides from doa racing,not worth it}..Very important that you have a flat deck or you will have problems in future,just as well spend 3 or four hundred to overhaul the shortblock and replace your fanclutch with a new one.good luck

Last edited by tim a.; 03-20-2011 at 06:08 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I just put the street rv head with a 268 cam on my truck. imo i think it was worth it.. This new setup has fixed ALOT of problems i had with my truck... Ive noticed a bit of a power increase, fuel milage has gone up( old head was brutal).
Old 03-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Thanks guys, this is the information I was looking for.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Also, i was at a buddys house today. He has a 85 pick all done up and i took him for a ride and he could for sure see the difference in it. He was impressed haha
Old 03-20-2011, 02:16 PM

I cannot seem to find a better modest buildup for the $$.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Even just swapping their 261 into my motor I've noticed a DEFINITE increase in power on the hills, etc.(it's just duration difference)... My motor is all new, but the guy who did it was a KNOB, ..so now, even after only 3K miles and 100'S OF HOURS of chasing my tail(as well as Dealer Foreman, Guru's abound chasing their tails, also, lol).... it seems I might end up having to do this head, anyhow, ...WHICH I ASKED MY MACHINIST TO DO in the first place, but was talked out of! LIVE AND LEARN, EH?

Sure hope I don't have a wrist pin issue or something else down the road, ...know what I mean?

So YES, Ted and Tod are great guys, will not steer you wrong. Just look into one thing, and HONESTLY spend the extra money if you think it's worth if(1 thing OTHER THAN what's already mentioned).... OEM HEAD GASKET! It might just be a bit overworked in the "TOPIC" dept. here... but there are some respected machinist/builders on here who have almost ALL said, "I will not use anything but OEM HG's."

Keep in mind, Tod will tell you, "Torque the Head down to 63# or so, not 58 like recommended in the book".... so you would PROBABLY be fine. But hell, it sounds like you're gonna throw some REAL CABBAGE at this thing.... don't cut ANY corners, trust me, I WOULD KNOW! lol.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 PM

^ Understand ^

I left all the little detail out of my original post.

ARP studs will be used along with an 85 LB foot torque. The headgasket is the achilles heel of the 22RE. I dont wish to rotate my headgaskets like I do my tires with this truck.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Wish I could help from experience (Chef's been thru it all, listen to that guy!), but I've been following these types of threads for about a year now. Search for txclimber's thread, he did the ENGNBLDR head, cam and timing set. Lumpy has done the street RV and 268 I believe. Lots of good feedback on this site about ENGNBLDR.

Good luck! Oh yeah and start a thread in the build-up thread! Look forward to following...
Old 03-20-2011, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Sportsmanphil
^ Understand ^

I left all the little detail out of my original post.

ARP studs will be used along with an 85 LB foot torque. The headgasket is the achilles heel of the 22RE. I dont wish to rotate my headgaskets like I do my tires with this truck.
85FT#??????? Please don't do that? lol. I'm guessing you meant 58#... but Tod actually recommends around 63#. I'd ask him related to whether it matters in his mind when pertaining to WHICH HG, ya know?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 AM

You can go as high as 88 with ARP studs,,, and thats according to ARP and engnbldr.

Of all the years in the different dealerships I have spun wrenches for, I have never seen a head torque as low as a 22re.......makes you wonder why they keep blowing gaskets so easily.

With studs, the bolt friction is moved from the block to the nut. Once the Studs are in place the block threads are safe as when they are torqued the stress is not rotational in the block.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:07 AM

Sweet! Thanks for that info! Makes much sense, as explained. I knew it was more but didn't think 85#. Yeah, my 429 Cobra Jet Heads were a bit higher for sure,hahahah. Just been dealing with these lil sewing machines for a while and never used the studs, ..YET, lol.

Your stuff shipped yet, Phil? Can't wait to see you fire it up!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-21-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am doing a complete rebuild on my 90 22re. Im using all engn bldr stuff (street rv head, 261 cam) Im also using a doug thorley header. I hope this thing will be a little better than stock...!
Just waiting for my machine work to be done, then i can put er together.
I will post up with some results
Old 03-21-2011, 03:16 PM

I have a header to go before I start my build. I am considering a stoker kit but em things aint cheap! I need to make my mind up on that before I start.

My only negative comment on engnbldr is the ROCK gaskets. I wish they would find a better supply. I would be willing to pay the difference in price to be honest. I have not heard too much good out of ROCK components.

I could care less about the intake, upper intake, valve cover etc, but I will head to Yota and get a factory HG for sure.

As for my build, might be in a month or so before I start. I will photo and add the build to the endless build projects on the sight for your viewing pleasure.

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Sounds great! Good luck, will be looking out for the build thread.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Hey Phil, ....you can get OEM HG's for a lot less than the dealer(unless you get big discounts maybe?). 22reperformance.com, I think they're 40$ there. dealerdirectparts.com has been really good to me, as well. Call and ask for Joe, he's a good guy. I know LCE lists them and has different "CUTS" for certain cylinder bored/over types? I'm sure I remember them being more there, as well, lol.

Best wishes man, watchin!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 PM

I used to be a technician for Toyota a few years back. I still catch employee discount which is close to half price.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:56 PM

DAYUMMMM! lol.... I'd have done a lot more things OEM had I known 'THEN' what I know now(which isn't TOO substantial, ...but I'm learning, ya know? lol) ESPECIALLY if I had 1/2 price! hehe. I get 20%, which isn't too bad. Still, it's much cheaper for me at dealerdirectparts.com so far.

Hey, if you ever have any input for me in my build thread, PLEASE, chime in, Phil? It's in my sig, just posted LOTS OF PICS OF ALL THE MANY THINGS going wrong with my NEW MOTOR! lol. Including some sexy adjuster screw pics! hahahaha. Not highjacking, promise, ...I just really appreciate the input of guys who've been in these many times!