Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Engine won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine won't stay running

I just finished the air intake / battery swap on my 89 22RE. I went to start it, it starts but dies after a second or two. I did a search but none of the ones I found really helped. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89truck
I just finished the air intake / battery swap on my 89 22RE. I went to start it, it starts but dies after a second or two. I did a search but none of the ones I found really helped. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Not an expert here, but what comes to mind is... how did you make sure the AFM continues to report the correct air gate position.. or the equivelant?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by rdharper
Not an expert here, but what comes to mind is... how did you make sure the AFM continues to report the correct air gate position.. or the equivelant?
I rerouted the wires that ran along the drivers side. I took them out of the the plastic sheath and routed them around the firewall down the passenger side. I never had to disconnect them.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:18 PM
Contributing Member

I rerouted the wires that ran along the drivers side. I took them out of the the plastic sheath and routed them around the firewall down the passenger side. I never had to disconnect them.
Ok, so what you are saying is that you made no changes to the air gate system, electrically etc...

And you only changed the air feed before that air gate, as well as the battery setup.

So if that is correct, and you did not have this problem before you made the changes... you certainly should not have a "new" symptom.

What you describe sounds like lack of air/fuel correct setting while cold. But nothing you did should alter that... so it is a puzzle.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:28 PM

Ok, so what you are saying is that you made no changes to the air gate system, electrically etc...

And you only changed the air feed before that air gate, as well as the battery setup.

So if that is correct, and you did not have this problem before you made the changes... you certainly should not have a "new" symptom.

What you describe sounds like lack of air/fuel correct setting while cold. But nothing you did should alter that... so it is a puzzle.
Sweet...thanks. The truck sat for four days while I was at work and waiting on an air flow meter adapter. While it sat it didn't have an air filter on it but the hood was closed. It did rain, could that have anything to do with it? Also I sprayed some throttle body cleaner on the throttle body. Started it and it ran until the cleaner burned off, if this helps anyone.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
There are some ground wires on the intake where it comes apart.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

Sweet...thanks. The truck sat for four days while I was at work and waiting on an air flow meter adapter. While it sat it didn't have an air filter on it but the hood was closed. It did rain, could that have anything to do with it? Also I sprayed some throttle body cleaner on the throttle body. Started it and it ran until the cleaner burned off, if this helps anyone.
The rain with a closed hood, for just a few days... no effect.

Throttle body cleaner... depends on what type and where you sprayed it.. probably not the cause.. but maybe.

The AFM adaptor. How sure are you that it is a correct adaptor, and that it was connected properly. If the AFM wasn't working correctly, because of electrical connections, that would do it.

I'd probably do the FSM checks on the AFM at this point.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
There are some ground wires on the intake where it comes apart.
Which wires you speak of?
Old 04-03-2007, 02:15 PM

The rain with a closed hood, for just a few days... no effect.

Throttle body cleaner... depends on what type and where you sprayed it.. probably not the cause.. but maybe.

The AFM adaptor. How sure are you that it is a correct adaptor, and that it was connected properly. If the AFM wasn't working correctly, because of electrical connections, that would do it.

I'd probably do the FSM checks on the AFM at this point.
Used CRC throttle body cleaner. Used it on other vehicles with no proplems. The AFM adaptor is from Spectre they make air intake products for all kinds of vehicles. The packaging stated it it would work for a Celica and the bolt holes matched. It fit well with the plastic plate that came with it. I put it on myself about an hour before this thread.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Contributing Member

Used CRC throttle body cleaner. Used it on other vehicles with no proplems. The AFM adaptor is from Spectre they make air intake products for all kinds of vehicles. The packaging stated it it would work for a Celica and the bolt holes matched. It fit well with the plastic plate that came with it. I put it on myself about an hour before this thread.
Unless you got the cleaner in the TPS, I really doubt that is the problem.

I'm still suspicious of the AFM not working correctly. But as I said, I'm not familiar with the specific changes you made... could be that others are and we need a bit of time for them to jump in.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:46 PM

Unless you got the cleaner in the TPS, I really doubt that is the problem.

I'm still suspicious of the AFM not working correctly. But as I said, I'm not familiar with the specific changes you made... could be that others are and we need a bit of time for them to jump in.
If I knew how to post a link I would..... wait you'll see a thread for 22RE intake/ battery swap pop up. Thats what I did.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:58 PM

Could it be electrical? TPS?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:22 PM

Your AFM is not working. Posible wire damage from the move, or when you plugged it in pins got damaged. What you are describing is what happends when you have no flap movement/airflow through the AFM.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:05 PM

Update... I checked the AFM with an OHM meter. On the E2-VS it should read 20-400. Mine was reading from 576-586. Bad AFM? Everything else checked out. E2-VC should be 100-300 read 180, E2-VB should be 200-400 read 280, E2 Tha should be 2K-3K read 2.40 on the 20K setting, so that is 2400 right? Anyway time for a new AFM?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:16 PM

Update... I checked the AFM with an OHM meter. On the E2-VS it should read 20-400. Mine was reading from 576-586. Bad AFM? Everything else checked out. E2-VC should be 100-300 read 180, E2-VB should be 200-400 read 280, E2 Tha should be 2K-3K read 2.40 on the 20K setting, so that is 2400 right? Anyway time for a new AFM?
Probably so if reading off that much, but did you check for sure if AFM flap moves freely, not stuck open or is shut all the way. New flange or mount not holding open?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by JEBSR5
Probably so if reading off that much, but did you check for sure if AFM flap moves freely, not stuck open or is shut all the way. New flange or mount not holding open?
Flap opens and closes freely. No, the flange is not in the way. The mount currently is not connected could the have anything to do with it?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:26 PM

Did you check it fully open and closed?
Old 04-04-2007, 02:26 PM

Flap opens and closes freely. No, the flange is not in the way. The mount currently is not connected could the have anything to do with it?
Only if it was a ground, which I don't think so. Know anyone you can use their working AFM and swap for a test?

Last edited by JEBSR5; 04-04-2007 at 02:46 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 PM

Old 04-04-2007, 02:34 PM

I assumed he was measuring closed meaning his reading was off for that, but you are right about checking open and closed.

Quick Reply: Engine won't stay running