86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine Knocking and engine code 13 help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Knocking and engine code 13 help please

I'm new to this forum and just bought a 95 Pickup 22re 4X4 for $500 bucks. The reason it was so cheap is that it knocks above 2500 rpm. I checked the engine code and it came up 13. Its starts but after running for a while I can tell that the engine is getting hot. Today after driving through traffic for about 30 minutes I turn the motor off and then went to restart and the engine would only turn over really slow. After about a 1/2 hour it cooled it started right up. I'm thinking that there is something wrong with the timing but not sure. It will also miss while driving about 2500 rpm and up. The knocking gets worse the higher the RPM. It also seams to go away when I put a load on the engine or floor it but when just driving at a steady pace it knocks. The knock seams to be coming from the top of the engine. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Garth
Old 08-10-2005, 05:23 PM

Timing Chain Guides may be broke allowing the chain to slap up against the timing chain cover. Valves need adjusted? That could be why it misses and knocks. Timing chain with excess slack and computer over compensates for the timing jumping around. That is the way my truck was when I got it!
Old 08-11-2005, 06:33 AM

Is there an easy way to check the timing chain?

Thanks
Old 08-11-2005, 09:37 AM

you can check the timing chain by pulling the valve cover and shining a flashlight down the front of the engine. there should be a plastic guide on both sides...the one that usually fails is the one on the driver's side. then the chain starts eating a groove in the timing chain cover.

if you don't see the guide or it is broken, you need to replace your t-chain and put in new guides. if there is a groove in the t-chain cover, you may also need to replace that.

here are a couple of good write-ups on doing it.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/timingchain/

if you do need to replace the t-chain, i suggest getting a kit with steel backed driver's side guide from engnbldr.com. (cost you about $60 from the website.)

personally, the t-chain would not be the first thing i would suspect from your symptoms, however. in my experience, *usually* the guide getting munched just produces a "rattle" from the front of then engine at between 2700 and 3000RPM. (although, if the chain skipped a tooth, then you could certainly have other symptoms...and, it takes maybe 15 minutes to pull the valve cover and check, so might as well do that.)

at any rate, code 13 points to the distributor or distributor circuit (which could create a timing problem like you suspected). maybe a bad ground that gets loose when hot which could also explain the not wanting to turn over problem.

here is a link to a write-up about interpreting the ecu codes.

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/codes/index.html

as for the knocking from the top of the engine...could just be your valves tapping. 22REs are notorious for that. you may need to adjust the valves.

here is a write-up on doing that:

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/...ves/index.html

(though a lot of people, including me, adjust the valves to 7/11 cold instead of 8/12 hot as the write-up and FSM states. it's just too hard to adjust them quickly enough for the engine to still be "hot" and 7/11 cold works out about the same as 8/12 hot.)

however, the valve adjuster screws (studs) get an hourglass shaped wear pattern on the bottom of them. once that happens, they won't stay in adjustment for more than a few minutes. so, you might need to replace those.

sometimes engnblr has those available. the only other place i know of to get them is from a dealer.

Last edited by LittleRedToyota; 08-11-2005 at 09:43 AM.