Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Engbldr Street RV head

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
@Donsway- Welcome aboard!!!
I think you'll find that engine combo a great setup for you and won't sacrifice much, if any mileage, and possibly even a boost with those gears and tires.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Donsway
Had to sign up sometime or another..... First post.

After over a month of reading this and other forums I went and ordered me a RV Street head, and master kit from engnbldr. Should be in Wed. or so. Went with the 268 cam because after all the reading just seems to be the best for my app. I have a 1985 2wd with the 22re in it. Hard to find posts about how this setup acts in a 2wd with a 3.58 rear, stock tire size, and a 5 speed. This is a truck that my Dad got new back in the day and I just got it a few years ago.

When the truck was new it had the power to chirp the tires in 5th gear. NO BS REALLY!!!! Now with over 250,000 and a slipping clutch (if pushed hard) is lucky to get some tire in 1st. Hope to be able to get 5th again after the build, and a new clutch. I was so young when it would do it before that I did not know how cool it was. Brother would rag on Dad's truck when it was just us two.

Have to say this truck has went through creeks, up hills, over deep mud at 90mph sideways, and has never missed a beat. After all the fun it has given me it is time for me to give back by way of the new RV head. So happy to know it is on the way!!!! Thanks ahead of time for the help I may need with this build. (Chevy guy) Have a good one.
Nice, sounds like fun!

I hope you stick around because there aren't many 2wd guys on this forum

I've got a 2wd and I will be putting the engnbldr street RV head on my engine in the next couple of months. I just need enough money! lol
Old 10-19-2009, 01:36 PM

I'm curious to hear what you figure out with this Gnarls, 'cause from what I've been reading here, I'm wondering how these compare to the Comp Cams I installed. what was that, the 252S? can't remember...

I'm seeing good things here for both those EB cams. I'm getting ready to install a Weber 38 DGES and thinking about installing one of the EB cams after. I got lucky with my first cam install, but I think I'll order the EB head gasket, too, and do that while I'm in there. that swap-the-cam-without-disturbing-the-HG maneuver freaked me out
Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM

you could probably msg Ted directly for the cam specs telling him what you'd like to do with the info.

as for what I'm looking for, it's for good throttle response that pulls up to around 4500rpm or so. right now with the 252S it seems to do nicely at around 2800rpm? I can't remember what your Desktop Dyno said for that cam. we should probably start a new thread as this is no longer just about Trevor's original head question sorry for the semi-hijack, Trevor

for the money though, I'd half consider picking up the EB RV Head, as well!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by yodta
you could probably msg Ted directly for the cam specs telling him what you'd like to do with the info.

as for what I'm looking for, it's for good throttle response that pulls up to around 4500rpm or so. right now with the 252S it seems to do nicely at around 2800rpm? I can't remember what your Desktop Dyno said for that cam. we should probably start a new thread as this is no longer just about Trevor's original head question sorry for the semi-hijack, Trevor

for the money though, I'd half consider picking up the EB RV Head, as well!
Hey no big deal. I got my question answered
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the record I have been driving the piss out of my 268 and it pulls so nice with 35's and 5.29's I have hit the 85 mph at 4000 in 5th not sure how much the Supra AFM is helping but with my L.C.E. Pro street head and the 268 from engnbldr I have ZERO complaints in the first 700 miles since the rebuild. If you want a nice cam for that 2wd I have the L.C.Engineering cam that cam with this head (not real good or friendly with the 35's I will let go for $100 they sell it for $159) came on real strong at 28-3000 rpm on up and got my 4runner rolling after that but just not enough bottom end for a 4wd wish I had a 2wd of some sort with a 22re I am sure it would be a kick in the seat for a 2wd street car/truck.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by abecedarian
@Donsway- Welcome aboard!!!
I think you'll find that engine combo a great setup for you and won't sacrifice much, if any mileage, and possibly even a boost with those gears and tires.
Thanks for the welcome. Looks like a lot of nice people around here. With my other trunk having a 454 in it this trunk will always get great mileage compared. Just want that power it once had, and maybe a little more...

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
Nice, sounds like fun!

I hope you stick around because there aren't many 2wd guys on this forum

I've got a 2wd and I will be putting the engnbldr street RV head on my engine in the next couple of months. I just need enough money! lol
Hope to have the truck till it can't go any more, and will post on here till it does. The 2wd guys don't have computers, most are up in age.

I just checked where my head, master kit, and head bolts are and just made it to Dallas by way of UPS. Got to love being able to track it on it's way here. Feels like being a kid with a toy on the way, you see I'm still up late wishing for morning. Bad thing is I am one of the last stops the driver makes so will be around 6:00pm before I get my hands on my new toys.

I have a donor block-crank-rods at the machine shop getting fixed up so hope to be able to tell you how well it all works soon. Will have to send the injectors in to be cleaned when I first pull the now still running eng. Does anyone know of anyone in Texas or close that does the sonic injector cleaning? Would like not to have to ship so far that it takes forever to get them back.

I think the old truck will be like new again. Well other than the cracks in the dash, and the rust on the bed. Ya'll have a great night.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Alot of people (including myself) have used WitchHunter.com with very good results (though they are in WA)
Old 10-24-2009, 03:32 PM

Smile

WitchHunter is who I will go with, have seen that name many times. Did hope there was a place in Dallas that I could pick them up the day after I dropped them off but no luck.

91TOY, will let you know how this setup feels in a 2wd. Hope to get the block back next week, then how ever long it takes to get the injectors cleaned. Wish me luck.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Donsway
WitchHunter is who I will go with, have seen that name many times. Did hope there was a place in Dallas that I could pick them up the day after I dropped them off but no luck.

91TOY, will let you know how this setup feels in a 2wd. Hope to get the block back next week, then how ever long it takes to get the injectors cleaned. Wish me luck.
Yeah, definitely let me know! I'm excited to get a new head.

Thanks!