Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Electric Speedo Odometer change- SR5 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric Speedo Odometer change- SR5 Swap

This is how I changed the Odometer for my SR5 gauge swap with an electric Speedo (non-cable).

**** Disclaimer!!! Check with your state DMV before attempting this as alterations to Odometer readings may be illegal. This write-up is not designed for you to reduce the miles on your truck, but rather for those who are changing their gauge cluster and need to correct the odo.****

So first, you must remove the speedometer assembly. Remove the needle by prying gently from both sides. Some have damaged their speedo by doing this incorrectly. I didn't have any problems, but it was difficult. Then unscrew the 4 screws on the back of the cluster to remove it from the housing.

This is what you're left with. Then remove the three screws on the back holding the circuit board on and the two screws attached to the cork-screw thingy(yeah, don't know the tech term). Note- the circuit board will not come off, but will be loose.

Now, by gently holding the circuit board in a manner that moves the cork-screw thingy away from the gray gear, the odo can move freely.

By hand, I could only go about 4,800 miles per hour, and that was non-stop finger pain. I started at 133K and needed to end up at 201K... That would have taken me approximately 14+ hours of non-stop turning. So I found a faster way:

I wrapped strips of duct tape around a star drill bit. Then, going in reverse on the drill at about half-speed, I was able to go much faster. By rough estimate, I was going around 18 miles per second or 65,000mph. So it took me a little more than an hour.

And finally installed:

Good luck with yours!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
good job!

I was wandering what the innards of the electronic speedo looked like; I'm very familiar with the mechanical ones

did your tach work right away too?

don't forget about your oil pressure sencor
Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i should send u my mechanical one mines almost exactly 100,000 miles off.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
good job!

I was wandering what the innards of the electronic speedo looked like; I'm very familiar with the mechanical ones

did your tach work right away too?

don't forget about your oil pressure sencor
Yeah, tach worked. As for the oil pressure sensor... Yeah I forgot. Any chance I might not have blown the gauge??? I even read your write-up with the explicit- DO NOT INSTALL UNTIL YOU DISCONNECT THE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH (paraphrased) and I STILL got ahead of myself...

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
i should send u my mechanical one mines almost exactly 100,000 miles off.
Check out Bleeder's thread. The manual ones you can just turn by hand apparently. Not so lucky with the electric ones...
Old 04-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ardent
Yeah, tach worked. As for the oil pressure sensor... Yeah I forgot. Any chance I might not have blown the gauge??? I even read your write-up with the explicit- DO NOT INSTALL UNTIL YOU DISCONNECT THE OIL PRESSURE SWITCH (paraphrased) and I STILL got ahead of myself...
well, did you start the truck after the gauge swap?

if not, then you're probably safe, as the original sender wouldn't have completed the circut untill there was oil pressure.

if you did start it, I'm not sure just how long you could run it till it burn the guage up...

did the gauge read? or rather, did it peg all the way to to right? if it did and did not come back down until you shut the motor off, it may still be good. but if it pegged over for a bit, and then dropped and came back down like there was no oil pressure, then you may have burnt the gauge up

just go ahead and swap the sender out; you have to get one anyway, so it's worth a shot; you may not have done any damage

good luck!

Check out Bleeder's thread. The manual ones you can just turn by hand apparently. Not so lucky with the electric ones...
yeah mine I could turn right over by grabbing it with my index finger and thumb

hey if you want to pay for all of the shipping, I wont charge ya to turn it over

just send me the whole cluster, or just the speedo portion, I'll roll it to where you want it, and get it back to ya

I'm serious, send me a PM if you're serious
Old 04-19-2009, 08:58 PM

did the gauge read? or rather, did it peg all the way to to right? if it did and did not come back down until you shut the motor off, it may still be good. but if it pegged over for a bit, and then dropped and came back down like there was no oil pressure, then you may have burnt the gauge up

just go ahead and swap the sender out; you have to get one anyway, so it's worth a shot; you may not have done any damage

good luck!
Damn, I was afraid of that. I did start it (i had to make sure the tach worked...) It pegged to the right then went back to the left.

yeah mine I could turn right over by grabbing it with my index finger and thumb

hey if you want to pay for all of the shipping, I wont charge ya to turn it over

just send me the whole cluster, or just the speedo portion, I'll roll it to where you want it, and get it back to ya

I'm serious, send me a PM if you're serious
Don't do it Ozzie! He breaks needles!! J/k seriously, that's quite the offer.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Damn, I was afraid of that. I did start it (i had to make sure the tach worked...) It pegged to the right then went back to the left.
dang... yeah, that's not a good sign...

Don't do it Ozzie! He breaks needles!! J/k seriously, that's quite the offer.
lol, only on the base modle clusters

those are a little harder to remove; metal pin the needle goes on has a barbed-like adapter on it, and it really grabs the needle. and when the needle's been in the Florida heat for 18 years, it tends to get a bit brittle who knew...

the needles in the SR clusters are easy to remove; they don't have that fitting thingy pressed on the end of the metal pin, so you can actually twist them. all ya gotta do with those is grab it, turn it counter-clockwise a bit while at the same time pulling on it, and it'll slide right off; just make sure you know where to clock it back to in the end

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-19-2009 at 09:34 PM.