Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

EGR removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im gonna block off my EGR tomorrow on my 92 4runner 3.0 3vze, i told the stuff to make the blocking plates, is there anything else i should know before i do this, like do i need to adjust the times or air fuel mixture etc.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like we both have interest in the same threads! I promise I'm not forum-stalking you!

EGR deletes are not smog legal in California. It'll shoot up your reading and most likely not pass the visual test, though not every smog tech will notice your EGR is gone. You might get really lucky if you have a near no-emissions truck but not likely! This is more for the people who live in the mid-west and the south where smog is less strict or non-existant.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM

well maybe ill just make something to cover the holes an put the pipe back on, or save the parts an put back on if i need to smog it, but i dont plan pn selling it, id like to sell my bumper i have on it though, an i dont think your stalking me lol
Old 01-06-2014, 02:38 PM

my egr is easy to get to i dont have to remove the plenium, its right on the side of the motor
Old 01-06-2014, 05:32 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by mrjayapbt
well maybe ill just make something to cover the holes an put the pipe back on, ...
Why would you even bother putting in a blocking plate if you're going to keep all the parts? Do you think this will make a noticeable "performance" improvement?

It will, for sure, ruin the air around you. The NOx will go through the roof, and hello acid rain.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM

im gonna keep all the parts so if i have to smog the vehicle i can put the parts back an pass smog, for all the research that iv done yeah its suppose to, plus its suppose to burn all the fuel, its worth a try an if it dont help any i can put it back on
Old 07-29-2014, 08:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i find it difficult to believe that removing a small stream of exhaust gas during light load conditions will cause detonation.

not that the benefits of egr are not clear. if its working well, leave it be. Avoid the pollution police and make a small enviro contribution.

but if installing a new motor, it kind of makes sense to leave out egr, pair, and the general mess of hoses and solenoids. This is a good chance to really simplify the bay.

i personally run with nothing but the fpr and brake booster connected to the manifold. even the pcv is dumped to the road. egr solenoid is plugged in but tied off. the wideband shows crisp 14.7:1 air fuel in closed loop and 11-12:1 open loop (i like it a bit rich). actually, im seeing cleaner fuelling than when i previously had the egr connected. this is most likely due to a fuel pump change and updated grounding. everything is running well and the intake stays gunk free.

Last edited by the171; 07-29-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You people are funny.

You're stupid.

But funny, nonetheless.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
You people are funny.

You're stupid.

But funny, nonetheless.
aww. i didnt know we had 10 year old boys with hurt feelings on yotatech. cute

actually, i seem to be one of the few using the correct tools to monitor running conditions, instead of jumping on the anti removal bus without any real facts or compelling evidence.

Last edited by the171; 07-30-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Let's not turn the thread into a playground.

I have a serious question. It seems the EGR system introduces a lot of buildup in the plenum. How can one avoid this? Cleaning? Well, what is happening when you clean, you use a chemical that burns dirty, to clean the sludge from the intake which has built up as a result of the exhaust gases being introduced into the fresh air stream, and burn the mixture of the cleaning agent and all the sludge and push it out the exhaust. So, you are passing smog, because you are burning some of the stuff later during a nasty cleaning process?

Granted I have not used that famous seafoam stuff yet, but I have read plenty about how it works; and I may have misunderstood the cause of the buildup in the intake system as well, so don't call me names.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:09 AM

where does the EGR get its temp input from the O2 sensor??
Old 06-15-2015, 10:11 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Huh?

I know you're posting this from a telephone, but you're much more likely to get usable answers if you use some punctuation in your question.

The EGR system is monitored by the EGR Gas Temp sensor. Not all vehicles have them (it might be California and C&C only, but I don't know), but if you get code 71 you've got it.

The O2 sensor does not (in any meaningful sense) sense temperature.
Old 09-15-2015, 01:05 PM

O2 sensor and ERG

O2 sensor measures oxygen in the exhaust. Its a ratio of sorts. If the oxygen level is high then you are running too lean, if the level is low then its running rich. Temperature is not measured but the sensor does not operate and start sending a signal/voltage until its at a rather hot temperature. When your engine is cold and the sensor is cold and not working the entire fuel system goes into default or open loop. This is true for all engines with an o2 sensor including carbureted ones. The voltage the carb or the engine sensor recieves will determine any adjustments. If your o2 sensor is dead then you are usually in a rich default mode which may explain my sootie manifold and many of yours. Have you checked/replaced your o2 sensor?
I'm not an expert but I have been researching this lately because of how old my emissions equipment is and I think it hasn't worked correctly for years.
On a carbureted model [which is what I have] and I'm sure for the same period efi motors the egr valve is operated by a temperature sensor [so it only turns on when the engine is warmed up] and vacuum to also turn it on and off so it doesn't operate during idle or full throttle. I think a speed sensor may be used on some trucks too but I don't think so on mine.
I'm going to leave my EGR on. I believe it does keep your combustion chamber cooler during non-loaded driving and if you are not running rich it should not be an issue. I have read extensively about this and I'm going to try and make all this equipment work. Something else to consider is that a high combustion temperature will not only cause pinging but will cause a headgasket failure when the temps burn through the fire ring.
When my truck was younger it was not all sootie in the manifold and exhaust, everything worked and I got much better mileage. If you are getting 12 mpg then I think you are running rich. My 2cents
Old 09-15-2015, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by maxscott1234
where does the EGR get its temp input from the O2 sensor??
My 89 pickup did not have a sensor in the EGR. My 91 California model had a sensor right at the top of the EGR. Another 91 Non California model I owned did not have the sensor. I think the newer trucks (93 and newer maybe) it was standard.

The EGR does make a mess but in the long run, I think it actually helps a fuel injected motor to run longer as it actually cools the combustion temperature. Hot air is not as dense as cool air so the combustion does not burn as hot. Drag racers like cool air for a hotter, quicker burn.

Once you learn how to clean the Intake system it is good for several years.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
My 89 pickup did not have a sensor in the EGR. My 91 California model had a sensor right at the top of the EGR. Another 91 Non California model I owned did not have the sensor. I think the newer trucks (93 and newer maybe) it was standard.
Well, not to nitpick but that thing on top of the erg valve is the modulator. It takes vacuum inputs from both the VSV and two different ports on the throttle body/intake. The VSV is a temperature operated vacuum switch on the intake which when on after warm up will allow the modulator to work. Vacuum from the throttle body will determine when the erg valve opens or closes.
ERG valves are really kind of simple. If you want it to stop working just remove the vacuum line from the VSV temp sensor and it won't turn on.
When they get real dirty is when they start giving you problems. In my very humble opinion I think that it gets dirty because something else is going on. Bad/worn rings, PCV valve, o2 sensor not working and the engine always running rich, valve seals. If the ERG valve is getting crudded up then start checking things out. All the crud is from your exhaust.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The sensor I am talking about is in the part of the EGR that connects to the back of the Plenum on a 22re. It is a metal probe that sticks in the EGR it self just on the back side of the Plenum. I lost my phone today or would take a picture.

Is the Modulator the brown plastic piece that is mounted to the valve cover that has the vacuum lines what you are talking about?
Old 09-15-2015, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Is the Modulator the brown plastic piece that is mounted to the valve cover that has the vacuum lines what you are talking about?
I think mine is black but yes the plastic piece is the cap. Under that is a filter. What the filter is for I don't know. Right under the cap are three nipples. Two of them will come from the intake/valve body and the other from the temp switch.
I found a picture of a modulator on a 22re but i'm not set up to post pictures.
On California models from the mid 80s to at least 93-94 the modulator and erg valve has not changed much. I do think that there may be a position sensor on the 22re so it can throw a code. Not sure when it was introduced.
I'm still learning. Mine is a 87 22r so the carb version is what I know best.