86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

E-Brake Light Shorting Out Dome & Door Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-Brake Light Shorting Out Dome & Door Lights

All of a sudden, my e-brake handle is controlling my courtesy lights (dome light and door lights). At first I thought it might be the switch that triggers the dash light, but the lights will flicker with every click the handle makes as you pull it out. When it does that, it is nowhere near the dash light switch.

The deck light switch wires and the console window switch wires are exposed, (cut flush so no wire sticks out,) but I don't think they have anything to do with the courtesy lights. Plus the wires aren't contacting, so I don't know what the problem is.

I have to position the e-brake handle properly so my courtesy lights don't stay on.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:48 PM

Problem solved.

I noticed a really crappy wire job when I bought the truck. There was a single wire running across the under side of the dash leading to behind both kick panels. You can't see anything of it behind the fuse box. When I took the ECU out several weeks ago, I noticed that it was tapped into a thick, red with white wire. I tried unplugging the wire, but couldn't see a difference throughout the truck.

Working on this problem, I checked all my own wiring that runs by the e-brake handle. Nothing was touching. After I posted my first post above, I went back out to check again. This time, I noticed that crappy extra wire running along the very tip of the handle (as close as can be to the panel.) It was cut up and I could see wire.

The e-brake had finally cut through the plastic on the wire and was constantly grounding this new wire. So I took off my kick panel again, unplugged that plug, (the wire was tapped into the wiring before the plug,) and the passenger door light went out. So, presumptively, that wire that had been added is to trigger the drivers door light. Now, just to figure out why it had to be done and why the driver's door light won't work off its out harness.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:04 PM

Figured Out the Main Problem

I realize I'm talking to myself, but whatever. If ever someone stumbles along this problem, (which it is possible for them to do,) they will have this.

Looking closer at that added wire, both ends tap into the same spot on each side; right before the plug that leads to the doors. I undid a tap to end the connection to test out what was different. Now, the passenger door switch controls its door and not the dome, but the driver stays on, (all with the driver door open and using my finger to depress the door jam switch). I went to close the driver's door (with the passenger door closed,) and the driver's door light stays on.

I also realized after buying the truck that the plug leading into the door buzzer was disconnected. I actually didn't mind. I hate those stupid buzzers. I noticed on my friends truck that he has the buckle belt reminder light, and wheres mine. So I plugged the wires back to the buzzer, and I have that light. But I really didn't mind sacrificing it for eliminating the buzzer, so I left it unplugged.

I was just under there trying to trace wires, and saw that there was a same color coded wire in that plug as there is leading to the door light. So I plugged it back in, and wouldn't you know, the drivers door jam switch worked again. So, over the years, a previous owner unplugged that switch, creating a problem that was then fixed in a redneck kind of way. So that solves that problem.

Either I'm going to deal with the buzzer for a while until I figure out the wiring on that plug so I can just splice to wires on it to make the door jam switch without the buzzer plugged in, or I'm going to go out and do it now. The latter is most likely.

There is also a big wire tapped into a white wire behind the fuse panel that leads to the big 22 amp relay on the right side of the panel, but it is just about 3" long and goes no where. It would be nice to know what those wires lead to.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:44 PM

Anyways, I hooked up that wire that a PO put in. I just relocated its route so it won't get cut up again. Because otherwise, with the buzzer disconnected, the driver's door will not trigger the dome light. This will also be good for when I add a light in back and add my switch. All I'll have to do is tap my new switched wire into that wire and it will turn on all the lights in the truck.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by B4Runner
I realize I'm talking to myself, but whatever.

HAHAHA! Dude like you said someone may get some thing out of this one day .. Its all good Bro !