Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Dying interior parts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dying interior parts.

I painted my kick panels and that plastic step thingy in the 3rd gen single cab pickup's with interior paint, but the problem is that it scratches of really easy. so I took what I new from my R/C knowledge and got a yellow can of "OFF oven cleaner" and sprayed them to let them sit over night tomorrow I am going to get sum "RIT" clothing dye and dye them black. I do this with the plastic on my R/c so it should work and since it penetrates the plastic it wont scratch off. I hope it works nicely and will keep you posted if your interested in doing it.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:21 AM

there was another guy on here what did this if you search you may find it he dyed his red interior to the grey or something of that color and he used heat to keep it from scratching off and it looked like it came from the factory like that
Old 01-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Contributing Member

check my sig line for the guy's name {tv4184} and use that to search his excellent thread on the topic. He used RIT dye for the carpet and some fabric surfaces iirc...
I've used Duplicolor Vinyl and Plastic paint (dye?) in my truck with excellent results... the finish is very tough and even being black the interior is cooler in summer than with the stock gray (go figure).
The secret is in the preparation the surface must be very clean/dry and free of all traces of oils/cleansers and what not.
I washed all the hard surfaces with dish soap and a scrub brush, allowed them to dry in a dust free room, I put on vinyl gloves than sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner wiped them down, than washed and scrubbed again with dish soap and let them dry completely in a clean room,
Do not handle the parts with bare hands again after this step you need to keep your skin oils off the surfaces.
Begin the paint process by using several light coats from various angles (this will insure complete, even coverage) IIRC I did about 4-5 coats total.
Allow the paint to dry completely between each coat. (If you use light coats it will take you about two days to do it after this you can reinstall the parts carefully if you have to but if you can give the paint another few days to cure completely it is better)

Last edited by aviator; 01-24-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
check my sig line for the guy's name {tv4184} and use that to search his excellent thread on the topic. He used RIT dye for the carpet and some fabric surfaces iirc...
I've used Duplicolor Vinyl and Plastic paint (dye?) in my truck with excellent results... the finish is very tough and even being black the interior is cooler in summer than with the stock gray (go figure).
The secret is in the preparation the surface must be very clean/dry and free of all traces of oils/cleansers and what not.
I washed all the hard surfaces with dish soap and a scrub brush, allowed them to dry in a dust free room, I put on vinyl gloves than sprayed them with electrical contact cleaner wiped them down, than washed and scrubbed again with dish soap and let them dry completely in a clean room,
Do not handle the parts with bare hands again after this step you need to keep your skin oils off the surfaces.
Begin the paint process by using several light coats from various angles (this will insure complete, even coverage) IIRC I did about 4-5 coats total.
Allow the paint to dry completely between each coat. (If you use light coats it will take you about two days to do it after this you can reinstall the parts carefully if you have to but if you can give the paint another few days to cure completely it is better)

I Used paint for plastic,interior,ect... The probelm is that it scratches of no matter what.

The DYE I am using is called "RIT DYE". It is a clothing dye that works vary well for plastic parts.

1. I start by sparing the Yellow "EASY OFF" oven cleaner on the surfaces and letting it sit over night to get the paint off

2. Then I wash with hot water & "DAWN" dish soap.

3. I boil the plastic in water for 30 mins... IDK I was told it helps

4. Then I add the DYE into the water and mix it up.

5. I put the parts in for 30 mins then take them out and let them dry and cool.

6. I repeat step "5"

After all this, The dye penetrates the plastic and WILL NOT scratch off.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:59 AM

This sounds interesting, some pics of the final product would be great.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Whatever works mx... Personally I have'nt seen any issues yet on the surfaces I've painted so far but then I have'nt done the kick panels yet lol...
Old 01-25-2010, 08:17 PM

I will have pics up soon!!! I've been busy with school so I haven't had time to work on my truck at all. I did manage to get my New 8" Memphis dual voice sub in my NOS 8 box.

Oh and Aviator I really didn't mean to flame you or your paint.It scratched because me feat hit it.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member

IK you were'nt flaming... don't worry I'm not that thin skinned lol
I was just saying I had'nt had a problem yet but I can see where it might be a problem down by the feet...
Old 01-26-2010, 09:56 AM

I can't help but think dying will fade very quickly in direct sunlight...especially when temps in the sun can get up to 60 deg C + in a car on a hot day.

If a peice is plastic primed and cleared after the base it will never scratch off even if you kick it.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Duplicor has'nt faded in my truck even being on dash in full sun for two summers now.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:29 AM

if you use a cleaner that has a protector in it one that protect against uv light and things like that and it shouldnt fade at all. i would think just as long as you take care of it and keep it cleaned then it should be fine
Old 01-26-2010, 09:11 PM

ARMOR ALL!!! lol

Well I had some time to work on it today I just didn't have a camera handy but I will have Pics of the final product. when I washed the plastic after letting it sit with the "off" to get the paint off. The second I sprayed water on it the paint just curled up and fell off I had to get sum spots with my finger nails, but it worked great.Now I'm just waiting for my dad to get off of work at 2:30 am and we will dye them then.

Last edited by mxdubbs; 01-26-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Typos