Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Driver's side hub warm to touch and making noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver's side hub warm to touch and making noises

Hey guys,
While backing out of a parking spot today, I heard a fairly loud screech coming from the drivers side wheel. I was coming home, so I just drove straight home, but it made no noises when moving. When I was parking in my garage, it started squealing a bit again when creeping forward with the wheels slightly turned. When I got out of the truck I looked around for any noticeable signs of something wrong. Everything looked good, but the driver's side hub was pretty warm. I have the factory manual hubs, the hubs were locked for a couple weeks during ĊĊĊĊty weather, but I usually keep them unlocked unless I'm offroading. Anyways, the passenger side hub was cool, but the driver's side was definitely warm. I'm thinking it might be the wheel bearing as the brakes seem fine. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. How hard is it to change wheel bearings? I've repacked/replaced bearings on my dirtbike, but never a truck. Thanks again.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
umm need more info you have manual hubs or add
Old 09-24-2006, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Elton
umm need more info you have manual hubs or add
SpeedyManic wrote:
<SNIP>
I have the factory manual hubs, the hubs were locked for a couple weeks during ĊĊĊĊty weather, but I usually keep them unlocked unless I'm offroading.
<SNIP>

Fred
Old 09-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lol i read real fast a skiped right over that
Old 09-24-2006, 01:19 PM

I just went out and jacked up the wheel and spun it. The bearing is definitely toast. Does anyone know of an online site with instructions (preferably with pictures) of how to change wheel bearings? Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Contributing Member

Because i had it bookmarked.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/front_end/

i did not try to search cause i had a similar item bookmarked, so i don't know what would have come up. But sometimes when you don't search it out or post it in the newbie section it can get a little tense.

good luck.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:30 PM

Thanks for the link. I finally found another really good link through searches. http://www.off-road.com/toyota/wheel_bearing.html

Next question: what do I need for parts?

Inner bearing and race.
Outer bearing and race.
Seals?
Grease?
54mm socket.
Old 09-24-2006, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Socket you might get loaned to you from local parts house i have done that a few times. But the time you really need it and you got to get it and its out or your on the trail you will wish you bought one.

So on that it up to you.

The other parts, i have always just took it apart and gone in to get what i needed. I haven't had to to do the 4runner yet so i don't know what usually wears out, or have checked to see if there is a front wheel bearing kit. Call the parts house to see what they have, and go from there. If it is your DD make sure you have all the stuff on hand or available before you begin.

I always read the section in the book a few times get acquainted with it, then go to my Pop's house and have him help me.

But if you don't have a "Pop's" to help out just take your time follow the write ups you studied and come back here if you need help.

good luck.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:55 PM

Use a good molybednum grease. I have been using it now for about 5 years in my 4wd front ends.

You will also want to get some stanisol (parts washer fluid also known as dry cleaning solvent) or stoddard solvent. Once you clean your hubs and bearing with this stuff, you will want to rinse then out with brake cleaning solvent. It will dry film free and displace the solvent.

I would just go buy the socket. I repack my bearing every year and after I swim the vehicle. Which is not very often. When I do my bearings, I also flush the brakes, cooling, powersteering and gear boxes.

Over kill, yop. But I also view it as cheap insurance to buying a $750 gearbox or $1000 3rd member.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:03 PM

I'm going to call the Toyota dealership tomorrow to find out what I need, then shop around. I'm going to replace the bearings, so I'm just wondering how many seals or other parts that should get replaced at the same time I'll need. Anyone know off hand?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 09-24-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac
I'm going to call the Toyota dealership tomorrow to find out what I need, then shop around. I'm going to replace the bearings, so I'm just wondering how many seals or other parts that should get replaced at the same time I'll need. Anyone know off hand?

Thanks,

Steve
Yes,

You have two bearings in each wheel, an inner and an outer, plus the races for both.

There is also a seal in each wheel.

Timken part numbers are:

Inner seal: 710092
Inner bearing: JLM104948
Inner bearing race: JLM104910
Outer bearing and race (comes as a set): SET 47

Just did this.

Fred
Old 09-25-2006, 02:04 AM

Guess I didn't list any parts as you pretty much had covered them all. You may want to get a Haynes, Chilton or the Toyota Manual if you don't have one already. Even for the picture reference, they are handy to have.

Incidentals you may want to plan on is also brake pads, rotors and possible brake lines. You will have the components off and easliy replaceable is why I am suggesting them. More preventative maintenance than anything.

If you stick with CR, Timken or Toyota parts, you will do just fine.

check out www.partsamerica.com. They are the online store for Checker Auto and that line of franchise. If they don't have it so you can pick it up at your local store, UPS Ground is free.

Here is their list of parts for the 88 4Runner

Last edited by farmerj; 09-25-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
x2 on FredJ recommendation of Timken parts. Good advice!

FYI: I have over 200k miles on my '94 xtracab & have never had any issues with the W/B. I repack them whenever I pull the wheel off (brakes, etc.). ESPECIALLY important to do this if you sink the bearing at any time. The new ones should last you the rest of the vehicle's life.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 09-25-2006 at 02:19 AM.