86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

lift opinion

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lift opinion

hey guys i am new to this site, i am looking to just put a mild lift on my 87 4wd p/u. I am looking for something under 3 inches and not to expensive considering i am still in high school. So far from reading from here and ttora i have found my best option seems to be a 1 1/2 inch ball joing spacer or a larger torsion bar cranked with shackles or leaf back in the rear. I am leaning towards the bj spacers because i have read that the torsion bar lifting will make it a very stiff ride. Is anyone running anything like this or know how capable it would be off road? any other suggestions? anything i could do later to upgrade this set up later that would be cost effective? thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 06:44 AM

the bj spacers and shackles or add a leaf would be your best bet. stay away from larger torsion bars unless you have a big arb bumper with a winch.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:46 AM

Ditto
Old 09-24-2006, 09:39 AM

Sorry to thread-jack, but with bj spacers and aal, is it a given that you have to extend the break lines? I hate extending brake lines with a passion... Never have had it go right the first time. Always seem to tweak something, then when you first go to test em to make sure everything works I always end up fishtailing or spinning lol.

But I x3 the staying away from crankin up your torsion bars option. I have mine turned up 2", and its one hell of a stiff ride...
Old 09-24-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by 95RunnerSR5
the bj spacers and shackles or add a leaf would be your best bet. stay away from larger torsion bars unless you have a big arb bumper with a winch.
the only problem with shackles is they arn't good to have if you plan on towing or hauling weight in the bed. (if you need the site i read this from i can post it). i would go with the spacers and AAL like suggested above, but would stay away from the shackles. and yes you probably should extend your brake line, it just makes it easier when offroading. longer line=more extension with less breakage. besides brake lines are really easy to do just have someone to help you bleed them when you are done. i only had to extend the rear line on my 3in lift.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bazooka_cow
the only problem with shackles is they arn't good to have if you plan on towing or hauling weight in the bed. (if you need the site i read this from i can post it). i would go with the spacers and AAL like suggested above, but would stay away from the shackles. and yes you probably should extend your brake line, it just makes it easier when offroading. longer line=more extension with less breakage. besides brake lines are really easy to do just have someone to help you bleed them when you are done. i only had to extend the rear line on my 3in lift.
I am really interested in seeing that article... it shouldnt affect it that much, espically when your talking 1-2".. as far as AAL, I dont really like them, they are really hard on your OEM springs.

The front brake lines should be fine, easy way to tell, jack the front up so the tires are off the ground... see how loose the brake line is... should be fine... as for the rear.. should be fine as well, but check it when on the trail....
Old 09-24-2006, 10:47 AM

this is a faq from toytec about lifting your truck. http://www.toyteclifts.com/faq.html its from 95-04 but the shackle setups for previous years should be the same considering its still a leaf pack assembly. another question why would adding a leaf to your leaf pack be hard on them? and when you are in the process of lifting your truck why not change the break line then instead of waiting till you are on the trail. breakline is only about 20 bucks to extend it. just do it all at once and save yourself the head ache later on.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:29 AM

As far as AAL's, they are made to lift a rig 1-3", depending on leangth, with one leaf. So they are really stiff. The long ones are not as bad, just will make a little sittffer... The short ones are really hard, they dont allow the rig to flex properly. In fact when you compress your springs they compress in a W shape, because the AAL wont flex as well as the OEM springs. This puts unnatural stress on the spring.

As far as brake lines, if all he does is lift it a little with either AAL, 1" block, or shackles, and not replace the shocks he isnt going to get anymore downtravel than he did prelift, so new brakeline isnt needed. Are stainless brakelines better than OEM rubber, absoloutly, but its not a necessity at first.

Cant ge the link to work yet, but could be my internet.. I will keep trying...
Old 09-25-2006, 02:25 AM

Finally got the page to open...

It really doesnt say why not to use shackles. I would like to know the reasoning. SUPER long shackles are bad yet, but 3" longer than stock shackles, 1.5" lift, are not that hard on suspension. A quality shackle is plenty strong, probally even stronger than OEM, and on high travel leafs you need a longer shackle to get the articulation. It also states they have a custom AAL, which is probally softer and designed for the toyota, which may not be as bad on OEM springs...