86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

driveline vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driveline vibrations

I started getting bad driveline vibrations. I dropped my rear driveshaft and it felt fine. Tcase mounts still there, although there is starting to get a few cracks showing in the rubber.

So, I thought I'd check my oil on my rear axle. I couldn't see the level with the plug out so I started filling it up. It took the whole 2.3 qt's that it should contain. I should have drained it first, but I didn't think I was very low as there were no visible leaks...

It really improved the vibrations, back to 90% good, but it seems like the damage has been done. Wheel Bearings still feel good, but I should replace them anyways in the near future. I've never done the rears on my truck. Jacking up one wheel, and rotating the wheel or drive shaft, you can't feel any signs that there is a problem.

Only hint of a problem is the large amount of freeplay on the diff, but it's always had that. No vertical/lateral play at all.
Video of free-play. I've always wondered how much is acceptable.
http://dev.mantlegames.com/rob/IMG_0324.MOV

I checked my tcase output flange. About 2 years ago, it was causing vibrations as it had some play. I unstaked the nut. Tighted it up 1/4 turn. Restaked... Everything fine. I double checked it yesterday and it was staked at the same spot and felt good, w/ almost no free-play.

Symptoms.

- vibrations when accelerating (worst up hill) around 20-35km/h.
- Heavy vibrations when deaccelerating around 15-20km/h
- A light Whine/Whirr when under a lightly powered cruise at higher speeds 2k-2.5k rpm. (mostly goes away around >2.8k)

Cause.

It appears it was leaking out my breather. Very slowly... It never drained fast enough to even drip that I ever saw, but there is a slightly wet looking section starting at the breather; not enough to look wet, but the metal has absorbed some of it, while the rest looked dry and rusty. Strange that it drained all the way out, because my tcase has a bit of a leak at the output flange and does manage to drip a little, but it was still 98% full when I checked it.

I changed all my gear fluids in early summer.

Any thoughts? It looks like I need a new diff, Anything else it could be? Maybe warped my axle stubs? I guess I should take off my drums and see if there's any oil in there past the oil seal...

thanks