86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dragging Sensation Especially When in Low

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dragging Sensation Especially When in Low

Hello peeps! I have a quick question... My truck is a stock 1986 4runner 5 speed with 370k miles. The problem I am facing is that the truck "drags" when it is in gear. By "drags", I mean it feels like the parking brake is on when I clutch in, in gear. I am betting it is the transmission though. The tranny is very loud and is only at normal sound levels when in 4th (I assume it is a 1:1 in 4th gear).

Here's the test (The dragging only happens when in gear, so all I am doing is clutch in, shifter in 1st gear always)

2-HI - Very slight drag
4-HI - Even more drag. Just past the point of "driveable" now...
4-LO - Tons of drag. Feels like the parking brake is completely on...

What do you all think? I think the easiest solution would be to replace the tranny. Other than that, did this post put up any red flags to you guys? Please let me know

Thanks!

Heres a pic, cuz why not

Out on the river

Last edited by Bloku; 02-15-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Why would it be the transmission if you get "slight" drag in 2-HI? As you switch to 4-HI and 4-LO, you're not doing anything to the transmission, just the transfer case and front drive train.

Are you doing these tests on pavement (or even dry dirt)? You don't have a center differential (or viscous coupling or other technologies to accommodate front-to-back speed differences). The slightest difference in tire size, or even slight turn of the steering wheel, will show up as "drag." Your 4WD is really designed for mud, snow, or ice.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
So, if it feels like the parking brake is on have you tried jacking it up and spinning the wheels (front and rear tranny in neutral and 2wd) by hand to see if the brakes are dragging?
is there any difference between pushing in the clutch and if you shift to neutral? If it will roll down a hill unassisted try rolling with the engine off, t-case in neutral and see if it is different than with the trans in neutral and the t-case in 2 or 4 or 4lo.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scope103, I understand where you are coming from... I did some more test w/ the advice from akwheeler (see below) and I think you are right... Test were done on a wet dirt road in a straight line. Tires are new. Shouldn't be seeing such drastic changes... the locking hubs are not even on in these test.

Akwheeler, thank you for the reply...I see I did not elaborate my initial statement correctly. The wheels and brakes are fine, I tried that test the other day. I tried your test just a few moments ago, here are the results

Test 2 - locking hubs freewheeling/off, down hill (pavement), engine off...

Clutch disengaged - in 1st gear
2HI - Nothing. Rolls free
4HI - Nothing/next to nothing. Rolls free
N - Nothing. Rolls free
4LO - Drags badly

Clutch Disengaged - in neutral (transmission)
Same results

My tranny is very noisy when in gear though, but it dose NOT effect the coasting.

The drag problem must have to do with the 4LO... any ideas???
Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
What maintenance have you done recently?

IIRC you have a chain driven t-case (the LC's came with the fixed gear I believe? Someone correct me here if I'm wrong). Might be time to service the t-case, check the chain and fluid etc.

Is there a noise accompanied to the drag? Or does it just not roll freely in 4-lo?

Curious in what it turns out to be.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
It sounds like your t-case is jacked up, check the fluid for color/metal/water. You might as well check the tranny too.
remove both the front and rear driveshaft and see if you hear nasty noises when you turn the output shafts with your hands, feel for roughness/drag and wiggle them to see if there is play in the bearings.
I wouldn't be 100% sure without finding a smoking gun. but the t-case has to come off to do anything with the tranny anyway, try spinning the transmission output shaft with the t-case off
other than that I don't have much else to suggest, you will likely have to take the transfer case completely apart to inspect the internals if you don't find anything obvious.