Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Downside to Arizona vehicles??

Old 10-28-2009, 02:00 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Downside to Arizona vehicles??

I bought my 87 4Runner last year out of Eugene Oregon. Came with a sweet stack of receipts. In going through all of them I find out that it was delivered to and Purchased in Tuscon, AZ, where it lived until 2006.

So there shouldn't be anything bad right? A/C works great, minimal rust, my LPSV doesn't look like barnacles are growing off of it. But I finally found a downside. The 19 years of Arizona sun killed the defroster grid. Everything looks intact. But after ripping apart my entire tailgate yesterday, following the FSM checking the switch, relay, wiring and the grid, (of course they put it in that order) I rewire everything (broken wires found) cleaned up all the connections AND nothing!

At this point I am frustrated to hell bc I just went through everything and there is no way it could be the window. I have seen pics of other windows on here all rusty and THEIR defrost works. Dangit. So I call the junkyard in Olympia, the guy there has 3 windows, and he'll let me try them out til I found one that worked. I got one that now has voltage moving across the grid so I am hoping it will work, I will findout Friday morning.

I guess if you live in Tuscon, you could gave a rat's behind about rear defrost. But up in Washington a little different story.

I never thought I would figure out a downside to an Arizona raised rig, but thats as close as you will come I think.

Now its almost time to tackle my Cruise control. Back to the Search button!!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
look like your truck has been all over the western US... lol at least it shouldn't have any rust
Old 10-28-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the defroster was probably never used here in good old AZ
Old 10-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
did you call blacklake auto in oly? they seem to have lots of yota parts.. i still need to get down there to get the power window relay for my 89... good luck wiht the new glass.
Old 10-28-2009, 02:19 PM

when i was livin in scottsdale i went up to cave creek and there was snow!!!! i brought a truck back to MA from apache junction. only thing wrong was the cracked dash!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by akaphilly
when i was livin in scottsdale i went up to cave creek and there was snow!!!! i brought a truck back to MA from apache junction. only thing wrong was the cracked dash!!!
thats mostly what we get here,especially if you park your ride outside with no window protection
Old 10-28-2009, 02:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't even bother with my defroser.... i'd never use it anyway.... just make sure you never tint the window..... or you willbe sorry...
Old 10-28-2009, 04:06 PM

How did you check for voltage moving across the grid? Just by touching a voltmeter to it?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
did you call blacklake auto in oly? they seem to have lots of yota parts.. i still need to get down there to get the power window relay for my 89... good luck wiht the new glass.

Thanks. Yeah Black Lake is who I called. David there is a pretty cool guy. He let me take the windows out to the truck to hook em up to test voltage on em. I have been there a bunch of times, but their stock of 4Runners is getting picked clean.

Thats probably where I will end up getting thirds from next summer. (unless Junkers is upgrading then.... Road trip!!)

All Toyota up in Buckley just gets a pricey sometimes, Black lake is fairly cheap.

And talk to A.Wilson013 about the power window relay. He just went there yesterday for the same thing. Either the relays were no good or Alex has something else wrong in his wiring scheme.

And really, a defroster? I just didn't want those guys in the southwest thinking they had all the pristine yotas. It cost me 50 bucks to fix it!!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by yotaman90
How did you check for voltage moving across the grid? Just by touching a voltmeter to it?
In the FSM it says with the ignition on and the defroster turned on, put a piece of foil on each probe and work around the window. If a line on the grid says 10 volts, then abruptly goes to 0, then that's where the break is. I was able to get betweem 4 and 6 down every line of the grid. They say 5 is a good line. My old window had a "break" every line, even though you couldn't see them. But they were consistent spots all over the window. It just made it hard to believe it was every line bc you could not see one break in it.

But looking at the window I got you could tell the difference of the color of the grid. The new one is much shinier and less corroded. Sucks too, overall the old window was in awesome shape.

Last edited by kiyobrown; 10-28-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by akaphilly

I do have one of those as well.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I live in Tucson and I have vehicles that old that the defrosters work fine on. My guess is that it got scratched thru or cut when someone removed window tint.
Old 10-28-2009, 05:01 PM

Its never had tint, and I couldn't see any cuts in it. It just looked corroded, which is weird bc the bottom rails are spotless. Who knows. I just wanted to bring down the Arizonians.

Honestly, I am just jealous of how clean the Arizona rigs are. At least I got one to revel in my own jealousy!!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:53 PM

I wish my rig was from AZ. Its a damn Canadian 4runner, so guess what? No A/C, but the heater works great.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Duckie
I wish my rig was from AZ. Its a damn Canadian 4runner, so guess what? No A/C, but the heater works great.
we'll take A/C over 4 wheels and an engine in Phoenix, with 115+ summers its a necessity here!
Old 10-28-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by yota4runna
I've had a lot of experience with 4Runner cruise controls, and the only problem I've ever found with them is the large rubber diaphragm in the under-hood unit gets cracks around the edge, causing a vacuum leak. I've been able to fix every one of them by using black 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive [which stays flexible] around the perimeter of the diaphragm on the vacuum side. It's easy to disassemble the unit and fix it. Scribe marks on the pieces to aid in reassembly. I've never seen a problem with the electronics of the factory cruise control.
Good tip! I will remember to try this first. Going in the order the FSM recommends is a little Magellan-like. That would be the last thing broken I would need to fix. Except for the muffler of course. Then either something else will take a dive or I can spend it on fun stuff.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
10.5 months of drizzle?
we get all 4 seasons bud..
you're thinking of seattle, and anything next to the pugot sound..
Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 AM

The main issue I saw living in Willcox(eastern AZ) is the temp extremes, we have snow and 105 temps. Plus 4200 ft elevation. So seals tend to dry out more. More on motorcycles that are not used.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 37 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by peow130
10.5 months of drizzle?
we get all 4 seasons bud..
you're thinking of seattle, and anything next to the pugot sound..
Which is exactly where the OP is from.

Alex
Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer all 4 seasons!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Downside to Arizona vehicles??