Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

does this look funky???

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah...regear it. Your boggers still won't last long on the road, but maybe consider getting some A/T's...inexpensive ones...for the road as opposed to lockers? That is if your really concerned about gas and tire wear.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Once you have achived the areodynamics of a brick wall, fuel mileage should not be something to complain about
Old 08-18-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
Yeah...regear it. Your boggers still won't last long on the road, but maybe consider getting some A/T's...inexpensive ones...for the road as opposed to lockers? That is if your really concerned about gas and tire wear.
ive been looking for some AT's everywhere, but they are still sort of expensive (for me) i need to save up a little more money. ive been spending money a lot between my truck, danger ranger, and my dirt bike.

soft locker?

Last edited by NorCrawler; 08-18-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:11 PM

Just find some used ones, man. I see them ad'd fairly often. Don't know what size your lookin' for, so that might hinder locating some. Still, no need to go all out if they don't see the trail.

Not sure what you mean by soft locker, though.

Mad flex! Keep it, eh.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A soft locker is just detroits "quiet" EZ locker..lunchbox style locker
Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NorCrawler
yea what the hell just happened to my thread?

i dont think i can take it anymore. i might just have to throw my boggers back on. it looks like a wimp.
anyone who knows anything about yotas will know its sas'd and the tires are for treadwear and anyone who laughs at you for havin a whimpy truck tell them "i cut off the ifs and put on a sfa with 63" chevys rear and did a double shackle setupin the rear" i garuntee they'll be like wtf did he just say
Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
A soft locker is just detroits "quiet" EZ locker..lunchbox style locker
Well, that's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. Thanks...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:21 AM

Just find some used ones, man. I see them ad'd fairly often. Don't know what size your lookin' for, so that might hinder locating some. Still, no need to go all out if they don't see the trail.

Mad flex! Keep it, eh.
ive been looking for some 33" or 31" just so my stock gearing is right with the tire. but the thing is the sequoia rims are a 16" so its a b trying to find some tires that fit that rim. used.

yea ez locker. are they good?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:26 AM

No ask me. I no know...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by NorCrawler
ive been looking for some 33" or 31" just so my stock gearing is right with the tire. but the thing is the sequoia rims are a 16" so its a b trying to find some tires that fit that rim. used.

yea ez locker. are they good?
Keep checking craigslist for the tires

The ez locker is like the lockright, aussie.

Read up on matt16's aussie locker thread.

I personally love the lockright. A selectable would be awesome, but the lockright is great for now, on road and off. Ive made it up stuff now, in 2wd that i couldn't make it up in 4wd before. Its the best off road mod i have made so far
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 AM

So, Mike....what did the lockright run you...for the part and install?

How is it for tire wear?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 AM

Well my whole rear end was going out. Humming like a mofo! lol i don't talk like that

So i had to buy the install kit (new bearings, shims,..)
Solid pinion spacer
lockright
labor

Ended up being $700bucks.

I think the locker was $250, the gear kit was $200, pinion spacer was $20, labor was $200. and gear oil, rtv, towels, brake cleaner to clean out axle housing. Came to about $700 for the whole rebuild.

The locker was worth every penny, so far!!!!

I cannot comment on tire wear, since i am borrowing some bald arse tires from my cousin. I probably cannot comment on tires when i get new ones either because i ordered some trxus mt's so those will probably wear fast regardless.

It does unlock around turns, so i don't think it will make much of a difference at all. I take it easy, don't try to lock up the rear end and squeak the tires all the time though

Last edited by 904_runner; 08-19-2008 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 AM

So, since my diff is in good shape, then all I'd need would be the locker, spacer, and my choice of labor? And, of course, cleaner, lube, and sealant.

And, what about tire wear? Or, have you had it in long enough to judge that?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 AM

So, since my diff is in good shape, then all I'd need would be the locker, spacer, and my choice of labor? And, of course, cleaner, lube, and sealant.

And, what about tire wear? Or, have you had it in long enough to judge that?
ditto
Old 08-19-2008, 09:53 AM

I don't think you even need a spacer if you don't want. I wouldn't have bought one, but since i was getting everything else replaced i figured it would be a good idea. I hear its not hard to install yourself, but the guy didn't charge extra.

Thook, it might be a good idea for you to try to drive someone elses rig with one installed first just so you know. Its hit and miss regarding how people like it, so idk. I personally like it.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definitely go with an Aussie locker over a soft or EZ locker...the "shear" pin design is better.....less maintenance and broken pins

also there are fewer moving parts than an ez locker

well here it is straight from the horses mouth...my fingers hurt from typing>>>

"Powertrax/Lock Right have for many years touted their "Shear Pins". They state that their pins are designed to shear/break when the locker gets in a certain position within the case. The so called "benefit" is that the pins break and not the locker. Aussie Locker takes a different design approach and designs our locker so that if it is properly installed, the locker will not get in the position that causes pins to break, therefore "No Shear Pins" in the Aussie Locker...our pins are designed to last the life of the locker.

Lock Right has patents and has touted their "spring-within-a-spring design. The Aussie Locker uses a robust spring that does not need two to provide strength and reliability. The EZ locker uses a little "top hat" to fit in the end of their spring". Fewer parts means higher reliability. Point to the Aussie Locker.

Lock Right and EZ use a design that have holes (windows) drilled in the sides of the axle gears and cam gears. Aussie Locker engineers feel that holes create opportunities for breakage and we do not use this design and have patents pending to cover our approach. We eliminate 8 side holes in our design. The use of these holes also requires little tunnels in the gears, close to the walls of the gear, where the pin and springs fit and we do not like that for reliability.

We use a teeth depth and angles for our product that our engineers have determined to be appropriate for the noise level, smoothness and reliability of our product. Other manufacturers use their own designs.

The Aussie Locker cam angles are of our design resulting in a design that meets our product objectives.

The Aussie Locker product undergoes a special and propriatary heat treating process to ensure long life and reliability.

Aussie Locker has a 100% quality audit under electronic microscopes where we measure specification conformance to the micron level. We will leave it to other manufacturers to specify their own quality level, but we are quite confident that ours is the best in the industry.

The Aussie Locker has the best warranty in the industry, with no "get out of jail free" cards the manufacturer can pull out if you have larger than OEM tires or high horsepower.

As to the pricing, why must a lower cost product been suspect as to quality? We sell direct to the end user through our web site. Our advertising is primarily on the web vs. the costly print media used by our competitors. And we understand that most of our customers do not have a lot of cash to throw around, so why charge them a high price, just because you can?

TorqMasters Technology Inc. is not some billion dollar company where lockers are not even worthy of a mention in the annual report. We are off roaders like our customers. When was the last time anyone saw the President of Detroit Locker or Richmond Gear out on the trail with their customers?

We set out to design a product that met "our" own traction requirements and we have successfully done so."

Aussie Locker
Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 AM

X2, if you have a 4cyl, go aussie IMO, heard nothing really bad bout them.

I would have but they are not available for the v6. Where on the other hand, ive heard nothing but bad from the ez locker in the rear of a truck.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:01 AM

Nnnice!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I love my lockright! If aussie made a v6 unit I wouldve gone that route, but their "its comming soon" talk got old quick. I think they have been saying that for a few years now....

Tire wear is minimal, rotating your tires often will FAR reduce any odd wearing of the tires.

Best bang for the buck! (pun defantly intended)
Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 AM

Hey Jay, i bet my locked truck could out wheel your locked truck. Haha

Just had to.

Just do a search, i think among the general consensus is that, those who like the lockright/aussie run them, those who don't take them out and i hear it is because of the ratching and jerky habbits that they experienced. I personally don't have a problem with the clicking, an it rarely gets "jearky"

Quick Reply: does this look funky???