Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

do I have the right headlights?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question do I have the right headlights?

Okay... so this is one of those things that's been bugging me since I got my truck...
The lights sit funny and I can't quite aim them properly (side to side). I can get them close, but not quite right... for example, the right headlights inner edge sticks up about 1cm out of the grill, while the left sits about 1cm in to the grill (it may be the other way around... don't have the truck with me)
I know they make headlights different depending on the market the vehicle goes to (driving on the left or right side of the road) and I'm thinking mine weren't changed when it was brought over from Japan.
Is there any way to know for sure, other than trying to bolt on a 4Runner headlight? Any part numbers I can look for on the light to compare?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:07 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Look for evidence of a wreck....

And post pics

Last edited by dropzone; 07-20-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:42 AM

I've had her for a few years now, and haven't come across anything that would indicate a wreck... nothing bent... no welds or seams that seem out of place.
my brother bought a car a few years back and it took me about 2 minutes to figure out it'd been repair from an accident... and it was something I was keeping an eye out for when I bought mine.
A buddy told me he thought the left headlight came from a wrecker cuz of a sticker or something that was on it... I had assumed that was because they should've changed the headlights... but I keep doubting that every time I wash the truck and see how they sit.
I'll upload some pics later.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you've got an import vehicle, and you're wondering if one of the lights was replaced with a part made for a different market?

sounds possible to me.

or, a P.O. had an accident that only wrinkled the radiator support, and they didn't straighten it symmetrically. you could take some measurements, and compare to the dimensions listed in the FSM. Here's a link:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/body...13bodydime.pdf
Old 07-20-2011, 07:59 AM

Okay.. just got home... and now that I look, they're actually aftermarket lights from TYC. and the part numbers on them do match up with 4Runner headlights.
Haven't taken any measurements yet, but took a good long look and nothing looks off... except this

I'm guessing the zip-ties aren't a factory option..

Here's a shot of how it sits..

The left side is sitting okay, but I'm pretty sure its aimed really badly...
Old 07-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
that zip tie is an indicator something is misaligned, so the grille isn't able to stay connected to its mount points without the tie's extra assistance. i have this problem too, which is why i haven't yet installed a new grille i bought over a year ago.

two aftermarket lights? how about the corner markers, are they original? start checking the rest of your front end parts and you may learn the entire fascia was replaced.
short of going to a body shop, i think the fix is to spend time trying to straighten it out with a crowbar. i'd recommend trying to leverage against a piece of wood and slowly reshaping the metal into position, rather than trying to use a mallet and hitting on things. your goal is to realign the headlight housing, and you don't want to stress the adjusters and break them in the process.

good luck dog!