86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

DIY: H4 Conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY: H4 Conversion...

What's up everyone! I'm so glad that I finally got my 1988 Pickup w/3VZE up and running. Now I'm just slowly but surely doing the mods I've been wanting to do. So here goes...

I just recently purchased these H4 head lamps and H4 bulbs. I'll do my best to document the installation process step by step. I hope it turns out well and I'm hoping that I bought the correct components, Hahaha!...

H4 Head Lamps: http://store.arbusa.com/IPF-H4-Recta...20H-P3634.aspx

H4 Bulbs: http://www.piaa.com/store/p/49-H4-XT...gen-Bulbs.aspx

Last edited by TrailTrek2Fish; 07-30-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:35 AM

The IPFs are fantastic housings, I've had mine for years now and would gladly pay double what I did for them. I put them on my old Honda too they made such a difference.

The difference is so big, you don't even need fancy bulbs, but I'm sure those will work fine too. I originally went with some of their Magic J bulbs, but just used standard Napa replacements when they burned out and haven't noticed any decrease in light output or quality.
Old 07-05-2013, 02:39 PM
RSR

Look forward to the pictures. I recently went with the Hella Vision Plus H4s (they come with a bulb, don't believe that the IPFs do). I will be documenting mine as well, but am waiting to finish my wiring harness before doing a more complete write up.

Hella claims 50% more light at low beam and 25% more light at high beam over sealed. And they're also DOT and SAE certified.

But for comparison here are some initial pics.

Standard sealed:

Hella Vision Plus:

Side by side w/o flash:

Side by side w/ flash:

And then the Dick Cepek Stone Guard installed:

(purchased this from here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dick-Cepek-R...-/121131726031 and then used the longer wire clamps on install).

I'll do a complete writeup on mine later this month.
Old 07-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those IPF housings play very nice w/HID kits
Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
HID bulbs in halogen housings scatter light. They put less light where you can use it, and more into oncoming traffic. Please don't do this. If you wish to install HID's, use the correct projector housing. I'm sure you're a really nice person but when I see you driving with HID's in halogen housings and blinding everyone, I automatically think of you as a doucebag.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
I'm sure you're a really nice person but when I see you driving with HID's in halogen housings and blinding everyone, I automatically think of you as a doucebag.
Wow, this has to be the nicest name-calling I've ever received

Some housings should never be used with HID bulbs (i.e completely clear lenses).
I've found the IPF housings to be less obnoxious...probably due to the fluted lenses.

I've tried a few different bulbs and found the H1s (low-beam with anti-glare shields) to provide a good pattern, which doesn't seem to irritate anyone.
No one has ever flash their lights at me, or received any unwanted attention (law enforcement).

I'm sure, properly adjusted lights plays a big part.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 AM

No. Hid should not be used in those housings. Adjustment has nothing to do with it. If you want to use them look up retrofitting hids in Google. I get beHind people with improperly installed hids and follow them with my highs on. It sucks. Not saying I solve anything by doing this.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:09 AM
RSR

Looping back, I did complete my Hella H4 conversion: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ersion-272021/

Found some pics of the IPFs online I'd thought I share since OP hasn't yet posted. Saw them for $40 on low range offroad and remembered this thread...

Off of a Jeep:

Factory Lights, Low Beam

IPF H4, Low Beam

Factory, High Beam

IPF, High Beam
Old 10-26-2013, 02:28 AM

I installed h4s in my old xj jeep. Housings, piaa bulbs, and wiring/relay kit all from quadratec.com. Worked great! I did the wiring kit first and that alone was a huge help! Will be doing it all to the tacoma soon
Old 10-26-2013, 11:53 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by 64tbird
I installed h4s in my old xj jeep. Housings, piaa bulbs, and wiring/relay kit all from quadratec.com. Worked great! I did the wiring kit first and that alone was a huge help!
Makes sense because this fixes the inherent flaw in the headlight circuit (present even in newer models). More efficient bulbs without conversion harness are merely band-aids.

Originally Posted by gigatech88
No. Hid should not be used in those housings. Adjustment has nothing to do with it. If you want to use them look up retrofitting hids in Google. I get beHind people with improperly installed hids and follow them with my highs on. It sucks. Not saying I solve anything by doing this.
AMEN! People who put HID's without the proper optics are inconsiderate A-holes!

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 10-26-2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:51 PM
RSR

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Makes sense because this fixes the inherent flaw in the headlight circuit (present even in newer models). More efficient bulbs without conversion harness are merely band-aids.

AMEN! People who put HID's without the proper optics are inconsiderate A-holes!

Not to mention HIDs are primarily a cool factor and not a practical one....

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...good/good.html

Last edited by RSR; 10-27-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:29 PM

Just from reading that and my past experiences of hids i wont use them again. From my old truck with smoked lenses and 12k hids and still couldnt see to my eagle talon with stock housings and 8k hids both sucked bad in multiple situations. I always blamed the smoked or badly aligned but that makes a lot of sense!