86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Discovered rust / Repair questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Discovered rust / Repair questions

Well this weekend I finally got around to removing the stock chrome bumper on my '95 4Runner that was heavily rusted through. Even with copious amounts of PB blaster, i still snapped the heads off of 4-5 bolts, but the bumper came off. when i got it off, i found this on the passenger side behind the rear wheel:

needless to say, i was not happy. this was all hiding behind the side pieces and i had no idea it was back there. interestingly, the drivers side is absolutely fine. i haven't taken it to a body shop, but i'd expect the estimate to be in the low thousands. i'm contemplating attempting this repair myself with the help of my friend who has a TIG welder. i browsed on the web briefly and came across this page where patch panels are sold:

http://www.alfaparts.net/toyota4r.htm

i searched around this site, and found some other rust threads, but none that touched on this area or that vendor. i would think this would be a common area for rust as there is no accident damage back there to bring on this type of rust on a '95. this truck has also lived all of it's life in VA, where the winters aren't that bad and i don't live by the ocean.
Attached Thumbnails Discovered rust / Repair questions-img_0889.jpg  
Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 AM

Go to http://www.nc4x4.com/forums

def find what you need there.

for CHEAP
Old 07-16-2007, 06:14 AM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts

metal repair .. and fit awesome , much better the the press brake stuff from wolf , but then it is a little mor expencive .

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com

Old 07-16-2007, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by slacker

metal repair .. and fit awesome , much better the the press brake stuff from wolf , but then it is a little mor expencive .

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com

saw that site, howerver, those arches don't extend back far enough to eliminate the rust that i have. you've seen the wolf parts and they are not good? i don't think that matters much as all the rust is on the lower quarter, which already looks like ▓▓▓▓ w/ a tube bumper mounted
Old 07-16-2007, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by 4RocRunner92
Go to http://www.nc4x4.com/forums

def find what you need there.

for CHEAP
thanks for the link, but what am i looking for and where?
Old 07-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

you may just have to make your own patch panel out of 16 gauge sheet metal. you will also need to try and get behind it and treat it with some sort of sealer or anti rust. there is a spray wax that works ok, but i'd use an epoxy sealer such as ppg dp90 or even a good undercoat.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:54 AM

why 16ga? i'm new to this type of repair so pardon the "dumb" questions

there's no problem getting behind there, as i can already get most my hand up there. to fix it, i envision i'd have to cut along the pinch welds, then up and across the sheet metal, leaving a huge clean opening. there are some complex curves and bends at this area, so that's why i was hoping to find a patch panel as i don't have access to real metal working tools. a small shear, grinders, and TIG are about all i have (race car fab shop stuff).
Old 07-24-2007, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jht3
why 16ga? i'm new to this type of repair so pardon the "dumb" questions

there's no problem getting behind there, as i can already get most my hand up there. to fix it, i envision i'd have to cut along the pinch welds, then up and across the sheet metal, leaving a huge clean opening. there are some complex curves and bends at this area, so that's why i was hoping to find a patch panel as i don't have access to real metal working tools. a small shear, grinders, and TIG are about all i have (race car fab shop stuff).
you can use whatever ga sheet metal you have... you have an easy fix. may even want to go see if you can find a quarter at a wreaking yard that they could cut a section for you.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:52 PM

Isn't that part covered by the chrome bumper piece anyways? Just remove the rust that is there and prevent anymore rust from occurring and then put another bumper piece back on. You can find them on Ebay.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:12 PM

I stumbled upon the same rust damage on my 95 Runner a couple of weekends ago. It was sure disappointing... Unfortunately I didn't have access to a welder so I went to Advanced Auto and purchased some sheets of wire body mesh and a big thing of bondo. First I cleaned up the area with a wire wheel, then applied a thick coat of Por-15. After that I bent the mesh in the shape of the hole and stuck it on. Lots of bondo, sanding, more bondo, sanding, sanding, some primer and gloss black paint later and it turned out well. Now I’ll just have to see how long it will last?
Old 07-24-2007, 07:10 PM

I would think Certifit would be the cheapest for a full replacement and I have always had good luck with there panels and pieces for my Honda. Although it is true I have never put some on my Yota, I would vouch for good pieces and cheap prices.

www.certifit.com
Old 07-25-2007, 04:34 AM

yes, this piece is behind the chrome side panel, which is why i never saw it. i now have a marlin rear bumper so this area is always be exposed. i don't care about looks, just that it's fixed the right way.

i still haven't taken it anywhere to get a quote, so depending on that, i'll either pay up or dig in and tackle this myself (with the help of some more skilled friends)

i also have found the beginnings of rust behind the plastic caps at the front of the rear wheel wells and along the lower seam of the passenger front door. argh. those areas i can probably hit w/ a wire wheel, primer, and repaint
Old 07-25-2007, 08:49 AM

well i took off the chrome arch surrounds and lower plastic cover and found my biggest fear....MORE RUST. i can push a screwdriver through the entire lower "dogleg" area

argh
Old 07-25-2007, 06:30 PM

Well once you get it fixed make sure not to cover that area with anything again. Whereever there is plastic covering metal it will rust. If you have fender flares there will be rust under them. First thing to do with a nice clean truck no rust is take all the chrome stripping off as the salt and sand gets behind there and eats it out fast.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:25 AM

don't worry. it's all stripped off and not going back on. if i could find my memory card, i'd put some more pics up