86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Did i brake the hub?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did i brake the hub?

The other night after lifting my 87 i thought i would make sure everything worked.I put it in 4wheel and started driving straight down the street.Well close to the end i hear this pop and a thud thud sound. i pull it out and unlock the hubs and it goes away. I thought i broke a cv but it all looks to be fine. I tried the 4wheel again lastnight planning on the snow today and thinking maybe it was a cv and i could crack it out. Well i lock the hubs and im in 2wd and im hearing the thud thud again. I put it in 4wheel and same thing. pull it out and unlock the hubs and the trucks fine. I figured i trashed something and tried putting it in 4 wheel with the hubs unlocked(not the best idea i know) no thud sound and everythings spinning fine.My friend watched under the truck as im driving and he says everything looks fine.

So the hubs locked makes the thud.What do i need to do to fix this cause its snowing and in 2wd the truck drives like poo.

I have 2 sets of hubs sitting here so i can replace it but i dont know what changes over

ones a dick cepek set that came with my IFS lift and the others a set of warn (how ever its all spelled)

Thanks
Russell
Old 10-18-2006, 02:21 AM

sounds like a CV.. hubs dont usually break... but pulling it apart will tell yo very quickly...

warn is best imo...
Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
A busted hub would not induce a "thud" when the dial was turned...it wouldn't do anything. Sounds like you got a busted CV as when you "lock" the hub it engages the axle and makes it turn the busted CV, thus the "thud".

IMO, Warn manual hubs SUCK compared to the quality and strength of the OEM Aisins and they do not use the OEM cone washers, thus they are prone to loosening and backing off.

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 10-18-2006 at 04:15 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
IMO, Warn manual hubs SUCK compared to the quality and strength of the OEM Aisins and they do not use the OEM cone washers, thus they are prone to loosening and backing off.
Two words: nylock nuts
Old 10-18-2006, 06:01 AM
Banned

I've never broke a Warn or Aisin hub, I know they make alot of them and I'd rather break a hub instead of a birf, inner, or gear. One of the magazines had an article about hub fuses awhile back, made sense to me. I have warn premiums on now so I'm waiting for them to break.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
A busted hub would not induce a "thud" when the dial was turned...it wouldn't do anything. Sounds like you got a busted CV as when you "lock" the hub it engages the axle and makes it turn the busted CV, thus the "thud".

My Warns have never come loose... The rest of the bolt world doesnt use cone washers, no requirment for them here.

Originally Posted by bodo
I've never broke a Warn or Aisin hub, I know they make alot of them and I'd rather break a hub instead of a birf, inner, or gear. One of the magazines had an article about hub fuses awhile back, made sense to me. I have warn premiums on now so I'm waiting for them to break.
Warn his discontinued their hub fuses... cant remember why.. but I posted it up here a few months back.. You probally wont break a hub, they are stonger than the rest of your drivetrain.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:44 AM

To each his own-- but I really dislike Warn products -- I have broken probably half dozen sets of lock-outs (warn) <--- but they were being used on GM products--I've never used anything warn on a Toy --- Also of the half dozen Warn winches that I have owned -- I've never had one work twice in a row if I needed it --- something always fails on them
I have had good luck with superwinch lock-outs and winches--I've also had two Ramsey winches that just seemed absolutely unstoppable!!
Old 10-18-2006, 05:14 PM

ok thanks guys. I guess i will pull it in and look closer.The axels have about the same milage as the truck i think. I got it at 80k when i was 14 and my mom drove it for a few years and never replaced anything and when i got it back the motor has been the only thing i replaced so far other then parts that go with the lift. When we were putting it all on the front drivers side inner joint felt like it was ready to pop out. When we bolted the diff up everything seemed fine. I did plan on replacing this because the boot was pretty dry.