Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Delay in starter turning on

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Delay in starter turning on

Ok, i used to have the click no start problem, after replacing the following i have not had a no start for 3 months

Starter (Toyota)
Battery (Optima)
Alternator (Toyota)
Positive battery cables, both starter and fuse box one
negative cables the 4 or 5 that i could see

Now i am trying to fix the delay in start, this has always been there, but before you would hold in start position for 10 or 15 sec with no start now i have to hold it for about 5 or 6 seconds before my starter will fire. I just get a click then after 5 sec the starter starts spinning. sometimes it might take longer sometimes shorter but now it always starts. Anybody have any ideas what could be causing this?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

Bumpy Bumpy
Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 PM

wasnt clear if you replaced the starter? did you check the starter relay?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, first checked relay, then replaced contacts, then replaced whole starter and relay. just to be sure
Old 07-26-2007, 07:32 PM

No starty?

I would try unplugging the key switch and use some made up jumper wires with spade terminals on them to bypass the keyswitch from battery + to starter solenoid. See if you get the same delay.
94' looks like the battery source on the ignition connector is white and the starter solenoid black.
Keep us posted.

Last edited by scrid; 07-26-2007 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:26 PM

Manual or Automatic?

My yoter has a "Safety Cancel" button that doesn't allow me to turn the engine over unless my clutch is in all the way. Check that, and if not that, check all the grounds (see if any are loose).

If it turns over immediatly (after it starts cranking), I don't think it would be the starter (you'll know a dead starter, you'll hear it click, then chug and chug as it attempts to turn over the engine).
Old 07-27-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have same problem...

I own a 90 4runner srv, 3.0 automatic.
about a week ago, for the very first time(ive owned it about a year now, truck has 200,000...with original starter and alternator).
after pumping gas, truck sat for about...10mins. i turned the key...click,click,click...that was it. checked to made sure i was in park all the way. nothing. tried in nuetral. nothing.(thinking nuetral safety switch) had all lights and power acc.'s working very well. (battery is about 1 month old...cheapy yet). still nothing.
called a bud to come try n jump me, soon as the cables were on, it fired right up and has been doing so on it's own ever since.
i was leaning towards a starter replacement, thinking...maybe the armature inside was at a bad spot. i keep a soft hammer & a jumper pack on hand, just incase.
BUT...for about the past 3 months. ive noticed the "delay" when turning the key. now my key is so worn down, they cant cut a new one. i gotta get one from the dealership. but now im thinking of possibly replacing the ignition switch.
sorry i couldnt help with a solution, but was hoping some of my troubleshooting with yours, might help solve it all.
im gonna get a new key and see what that does...???

Dutch
Old 07-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dutchboy
I own a 90 4runner srv, 3.0 automatic.
about a week ago, for the very first time(ive owned it about a year now, truck has 200,000...with original starter and alternator).
after pumping gas, truck sat for about...10mins. i turned the key...click,click,click...that was it. checked to made sure i was in park all the way. nothing. tried in nuetral. nothing.(thinking nuetral safety switch) had all lights and power acc.'s working very well. (battery is about 1 month old...cheapy yet). still nothing.
called a bud to come try n jump me, soon as the cables were on, it fired right up and has been doing so on it's own ever since.
i was leaning towards a starter replacement, thinking...maybe the armature inside was at a bad spot. i keep a soft hammer & a jumper pack on hand, just incase.
BUT...for about the past 3 months. ive noticed the "delay" when turning the key. now my key is so worn down, they cant cut a new one. i gotta get one from the dealership. but now im thinking of possibly replacing the ignition switch.
sorry i couldnt help with a solution, but was hoping some of my troubleshooting with yours, might help solve it all.
im gonna get a new key and see what that does...???

Dutch
Many similarities, if you need to first replace starter contacts before you try anything too expensive.

I also have a very very worn out ignition, so worn out that i can start it with anything i used some nail clippers the otherday to start the truck. would like to fix that too, but don't want diffrent keys for doors and engine.

It is a manual, but i have checked the clutch switch and everything is good also if i press clutch cancel i still get a delay in start.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:47 AM

Fix Found for Delayed Start / Intermittent Start First Gen 4runner

I experienced a problem with starting my 85 4Runner after it had been running. For example I would stop for gas and turn off my 4Runner. Once I was done fueling up I would then try to start my 4Runner again but nothing. After letting it sit for 10 minutes, finally it would start. I had the battery, starter, ignition, fuel pump, fuel filter, ignition coil and anything related to the starter looked over and or replaced. Still had the problem.

I took it to a different mechanic and he noticed that the problem was with the ground from the battery. The ground of the battery goes directly into the body /frame instead of branching out to the key components like the engine. He ran a direct negative charge to the engine and like that, no more problems starting my truck.