86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Degreasing engine to look for leaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Degreasing engine to look for leaks

I have an 87 4runner that could use a spring cleaning. I don't lose oil so I can't figure out where the oil came from, sloppy oil changes? How can I get it all cleaned up to look for leaks, and so that it looks nice. I live in San Diego so I'm not sure I can even do it here (is it illegal); but I will be going home to Arizona for a few days so maybe I could do it there.
What are the do's and don'ts/ and what works good.
If you have pics of before and after that helps too.

Oh and I did a search and found 1 but didn't answer all my questions.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:05 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
First you can just try some Simple Green. Spray it all down liberally and then blast it with the hose or a pressure washer - just be careful with the pressure washer of all the little hoses.

You can also try that "engine brite" sort of stuff that foams all over. It supposedly cleans the metal surfaces, though it seems to be way too expensive.

Or, get some Gunk concentrate, mix it with some diesel fuel, put it in a spray bottle, and douse everything. Let it sit, spray some more, and then hose it all down real real good. That will probably work the best, though I'm sure someone will disagree with me and tell me that it damages things in the engine compartment or is bad for the environment.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:12 PM

does it help it the engine is warm or cold? Do they sell engine brite in California?
Old 04-23-2006, 09:18 PM

I use about whatever degreaser I have. (Last time it was from a buddy who used to work at McDonalds and brought a gallon of their degreaser over. If it can degrease their crap, it can degrease mine!) Anyways, you just cover your distributor (plastic bag), and intake if you have a cone, let it sit for at least 10 minutes, and then pressure wash it if possible. Do it all in one of those public car wash bays where you do it all yourself with their pressure washer.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:25 PM

thanks Bobakazi, good advice about covering the distributor!
Old 04-24-2006, 04:01 AM

oven cleaner works pretty well also...but the fumes are nasty....
Old 04-24-2006, 06:03 AM

I used to use this stuff called Steam Premium, but I can't find it anymore. Use the orange scented stuff or there's a new one that states it has low fumes. Otherwise you're smelling that stuff for a week. Also make sure to keep it off paint, I always wash my vehicle after in case of any overspray.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:40 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Do it when the engine is cold. It's a bad idea to hose down a warm engine.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:43 AM

cool, now that I have a few products to choose from I need to know can I do this in California, I was at a car wash once and I thought I saw a sign that said no cleaning engine bays, but the option for engine cleaner was on the selector for the pressure washer. Was it a car wash rule/city/or even state law? I don't think I saw one of those signs refernencing a law. Anyone know? Could it be you can't do it at a car wash but can do it at home and it's okay (not gonna get a ticket).
Old 04-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The do-it-yourself car wash I go to doesn't have any sign that says "no engine cleaning." In fact, they also have the selection on the dial for engine/wheel cleaner. In California, all commercial car washes whether "do-it-yourself" or "they-do-it-for-you" are required to process the waste water generated from the car washing before the water can be released into the sewer.

I use any one of a number of cleaners and spray it off at the DIY carwash. No problems. Definitely avoid drenching your distributor, alternator, and other electrical parts. Don't get water in the air intake. Avoid spraying the engine, exhaust manifold when it's hot.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:50 AM

Great info! That's what I needed to know, good info on the alternator. Thanks and any other tips/tricks will help. I'll try to post a before and after and list what I used later in the week.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Easy Off Oven Cleaner works well.

Then take a pressure washer to it.

After it is clean...to find leaks...spray the engine with foot powder and drive. The leaks will leave a path in the foot powder. Washes right off with the hose afterwards.

Old 04-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth
The do-it-yourself car wash I go to doesn't have any sign that says "no engine cleaning." In fact, they also have the selection on the dial for engine/wheel cleaner. In California, all commercial car washes whether "do-it-yourself" or "they-do-it-for-you" are required to process the waste water generated from the car washing before the water can be released into the sewer.

I use any one of a number of cleaners and spray it off at the DIY carwash. No problems. Definitely avoid drenching your distributor, alternator, and other electrical parts. Don't get water in the air intake. Avoid spraying the engine, exhaust manifold when it's hot.
Alot of those car washes only lose about 2% of their water.
They recycle the water that's in their systems. Pretty neat actually.

It is not advertised, as most would think they are washing their cars with dirty water, which would be bad for business. But really the water is quiet clean.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
After it is clean...to find leaks...spray the engine with foot powder and drive. The leaks will leave a path in the foot powder. Washes right off with the hose afterwards.

thanks waskillywabbit for the trick, I'm worried that I will find leaks and that sucks! Oh well better to fix them before they cost me big $$$$ later, hey maybe I can buy new tools too (the wifey loves that, NOT!)
Old 04-24-2006, 10:57 AM

Your intake should be fine if you have a stock box.
As far as the alternator, I have never covered it when pressure washing. Never had a problem. Has anyone experienced a problem when their alternator got wet?
Old 04-24-2006, 01:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't cover the alternator. I just try not to spray directly at or into it. I've never had a problem. I do the same thing with the distributor . . . . . never had a problem. I did change the distributor cap gasket the last time I had the cap off. The old one looked like leaks waiting to happen. The intake is probably fine too as long as you're not trying to get water into it. I just try to keep all that in mind when I'm giving the truck a major bath.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:18 PM

engine cleaning service

since you are in san diego..... there is a place on miramar road that can degrease your engine....

tech formula car salon (and no, i don't work there)

its on miramar road..... my brother had his new car teflon coated there..... but i noticed in their brochure that they perform 180degree high pressure cleaning to remove all the oil..... if you read the testimonials on their webpage.... a guy w/ a 84 toy pickup used the service to find an oil leak on his truck.....

don't know the costs but might be a good option to getting the engine bay and undercarriage nice and clean for leak diagnosis.... apparently they reclean it after the repair at no charge too....

JQ
Old 04-26-2006, 03:44 PM

Oh wow that sounds like a pretty good deal if they can get it super clean. And a free re-clean? I'll call and get the details.

THANKS jay-q