Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

custom grille mod

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
custom grille mod

Hey all . So I've had my truck for just over 2 years now and am FINALLY starting to do some of the things I've wanted to do to it since I got it. My original plans were put on hold due to blowing the original motor (very unplanned) and then constant knock sensor issues. Only recently has everything been fixed which I've posted all about elsewhere.

I've decided to start cheap and go for the grille. I did a little research and decided I really don't like the billet aluminum inserts cause I think they're ugly ... not to mention overly expensive. So after checking out Home Depot and deciding that all of their stuff is crap, I went to www.guttersupply.com, spent $5.21, and ordered their 8" Steel Gutter Guard. I could have probably gone with their 6" guard, but I wanted to be sure I had enough material. What you get in the mail is a massive cardboard box and a nice powder coated (I think) 8" x 48" piece of steel mesh as you'll see in the picture below.

When I replaced my motor, I also ordered a new stock Toyota grille, but kept my old one because I knew I'd want to play with it later. Next step was to cut out everything between the 'chrome' using just a hacksaw blade.

Right now this is as far as I've gone, but this whole process -once the gutter guard arrived- took about 5 minutes. But keep in mind my grille was already off. If i remember correctly that shouldn't take you but another 5 minutes to do. But be GENTLE. This is '93 plastic we're talking about and it likes to crack!

I plan to form the guard so it will contour out towards the front of the grille a little to give it a better look with some added strength and then fasten it to the backside of the grille somehow. I'll keep you posted once I get further a long.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 PM

A little update. I don't know if anyone's interested in this thread or not, but my progress is slow with the grille. I just haven't had much time to work on it, and frankly, I'm not 100% sure I like the gutter guard I chose. I kind of assumed as much when I only paid 5 bucks for it, but it seems a little too flimsy. I have no doubt I'll be able to get it to look the way I want it to, but it's pretty soft stuff and I'm thinking that one well placed rock wont have much trouble denting it or even breaking thru it. Time shall tell I guess.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Don't worry about how long the project takes... sometimes life gets in the way...
just take it slow and get it right how you like it the first time.

The reason no one was answering your post was you had posted it in the wrong section.
The section you had it in can only be responded to by mods/admins.
I missed that yesterday or I'd have moved you then. Thank Scuba he caught it.

Last edited by aviator; 01-05-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did something like that to my grille and i guess if you wanted I could try to post a picture of it on here
Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 PM

I want to see how this looks finished on a truck. I think it would look sweet! I just would like to see it in more than just my minds eye. Maybe have to borrow this one haha.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maybe brace it somehow. it will turn out well, if take your time and think it through.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:32 AM

I cut my grille out and put these fog lights in.

Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by rcrandy
That's kind of what I have in mind, but with the added piece of gutter guard.

Sorry I'm so slow everybody. This truck has been in the planning stage for forever as I was tackling a Code 52 issue for quite some time. Now that that's fixed, I can finally put all my planning into action and I'm having trouble focusing on any one job haha. I haven't made any more progress on the grille, but I'm currently in the middle of making a quick and easy way to remove my campershell. I'll post all that info on another thread soon.

As always if you have any more ideas on how to make this grille mod a little better, I'm open for suggestions!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM

i dont think i would brace it, if it bends, just put a new one in, right? its cheap and should be able to work it easily enough?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:46 PM

this is the before:

and the after:

Now keep in mind these were taken off a phone and it looks much better when directly looking at it.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Looks good Arkman! My goal is to get rid of the Toyota emblem though and i couldn't think of a good way to do it because just taking it off leaves you with that black plastic support bracket. That's why I decided to go the gutter guard route. I just need to do it already. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to attach it though.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:14 PM

I was thinking about doing the same thing on my pickup. Cant wait to see the finished pics
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM

Looks good Arkman! My goal is to get rid of the Toyota emblem though and i couldn't think of a good way to do it because just taking it off leaves you with that black plastic support bracket. That's why I decided to go the gutter guard route. I just need to do it already. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to attach it though.
Yeah that makes perfect sense. I just wanted my toyota symbol to do the opposite, I was wanting it to POP. It took the better part of a day to do because Im just a little perfectionist ocd haha but if I think of any way to help you I will try to tell you!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by rcrandy

I like that a lot. Where/how did you mount the fogs?
Old 01-23-2012, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Arkman
Would look better without the Bama plate......
Old 01-23-2012, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by tacdawi
I like that a lot. Where/how did you mount the fogs?
they are just mounted right to the grille. When I got the truck my hi beams didnt work so I got these cheap fogs at walmart. They turned out to be brighter than the hi beams. They fit good!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 AM

So I found this today: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/0...-alike-136935/

This is EXACTLY what I'm trying to do to mine. I checked their site and of course they don't have anything for 1992-1994.5 grille styles. I'm awaiting a reply to an email about the potential for custom making one. I wish I had a welder or I could make this myself!

It gives me a little insight to how to finish mine though. A few mounting ideas, plus the idea of mounting a SECOND grille toward the back to keep out bugs and small rocks a little better. I was actually a little worried about how "see thru" the grille would be, like you wouldn't see the actual grille very well, but look thru completely to the radiator. It darkens it up significantly ... me likey. Now if only I could figure mine out!
Old 01-25-2012, 03:12 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Waiting before starting to wrench on the truck is a good thing. Gives you plenty of time to figure out what you want to do. And it looks like your off to a good start!

Whats with the bolt in the middle of the bumper? And the square toob coming from under the valance? Plow setup?

Last edited by rattlewagon; 01-25-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:23 PM

I was wondering the same thing ... Arkman, is that set up for a plow? And what's with the bumper bolt?
Old 01-25-2012, 06:56 PM

Whats with the bolt in the middle of the bumper? And the square toob coming from under the valance? Plow setup?
I was wondering the same thing ... Arkman, is that set up for a plow? And what's with the bumper bolt?
Guys I honestly wish I knew. It looks like it but, there isnt much available on the tubes? And all I know that bolt is good for is catching your leg and making others laugh I bought the truck 2 years ago from a friend in Arkansas and he didnt have a plow on it that I knew of and we dont typically get enough snow to need one? Them peices have always puzzled me but I have thought the same thing..

Quick Reply: custom grille mod