Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Crankshaft Harmonic Balancer will not go inside the crankshaft issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update: I used the Prussian Blue, Non-Drying, Improper Fitting Dye Part #: BK 800. Here are the pictures

After I had the 22re engine rebuilt, is it possible that the old harmonic balancer will not go in all the way inside the crankshaft without forcing it in due to old age? (27 years old). Will a new harmonic balancer will go in easily without forcing it inside the crankshaft? with a hammer?

Notice I sanded and filed the woodruff key. After that. I was abled to force the harmonic balancer all the way inside the crankshaft using a heavy hammer and block of wood. Also, the dye shows up on the Harmonic Balance and I wonder if the Harmonic balancer needs to be replace? I did not remove the woodruff key yet and I think the woodruff key is so stuck in inside the crankshaft that I am afraid I will damage the crankshaft. Perhaps if I order a new harmonic balancer and if it does not fit in easily or loosely inside the crankshaft, then I can return the harmonic balancer back and try to force the woodruff key to remove from the crankshaft using a punch tool. Any thoughts on this issue? Thanks for reading.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
This isn't the product I mentioned. The non-drying type is ment for transferring contact points, IE paint on to part A place part B against part A and you can, for example, now see where to drill holes and solve similar problems.

The product I was intending would have rubbed off where the fit was too tight and given you a "scribe" line to file to.

But! This worked out fine I think. You can see from the transferring that the pulley goes on just fine until it meets the key/slot interface. This means you didn't hit the end of the crankshaft and create a swollen area and in fact it is the key that is causing the blockage.

Remove the key and the pulley should slide right on is what I expect.

If it was post appocolypse I would carefully file the "burr" off the key but it's not and you can get a brand new one shipped to your mailbox.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:20 AM

Co_94_PU thanks for responding.

I was abled to remove the woodruff key on top of the crankshaft using the punch tool.

I then put the woodruff key inside the harmonic balance. There was no resistance from moving or sliding inside the harmonic balancer.

However, when I put in the harmonic balancer inside the crankshaft without the woodruff key in place, there was no free resistance and was rather tight not going in. In fact, it felt the same way, even with the woodruff key was in before. I had to hammer with the block of wood to get the harmonic balancer inside the crankshaft just like before when the woodruff key was in place. Is this normal?

What to do now? Do I order new woodruff keys? Have the harmonic balancer replace with a new one? Do I just reinstall the old woodruff key back on the crankshaft and use the same old harmonic balancer on the crankshaft? It is going to be very tight fit using the hammer and wood block as a buffer as I had done it earlier.. If I order new woodruff keys, should I also replace the other two woodruff keys for the timing chain gear and the oil pump spline, although both timing chain gear and the oil pump spline are already inside the crankshaft?
Is the front crankshaft end warped or is the harmonic balancer is warped

Sorry to ask so many questions. Any advice, comments, feedback on this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:49 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
there are very few harmonic balancers that are just a slip on fit. Most manufacturers make them tight to the point that you need a puller to get it off and in order to put it on you either use an installer or you tap it on with a block of wood and a mallet until you can get the crank bolt started several turns into the crank and then tighten it to draw the harmonic balancer onto the crank.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:08 PM

akwheeler, thanks for responding. I just got back from an auto parts store. I explained the whole thing about this issue. You are absolutely correct in regards to your last message above. The parts guy said the same thing. My harmonic balancer is normal and so is the woodruff key. The parts guy said for me to get the harmonic balancer installer that comes with a complete kit (gear pulley removal kit). I remembered gettting this gear pulley removal kit to remove the harmonic balancer from the engine prior to its rebuilt, I never had the use of installing the harmonic balancer with a three piece tool. One is the thread that goes inside the crankshaft (matching thread) that goes with a somewhat thick washer along with another thread that ended with a socket type wrench. Put them together and turned the tool that forces the harmonic pulley to go inside the crankshaft all the way so the end of the harmonic balancer will enough room to bolt it in. This will avoided warp crankshaft,warped harmonic balancer and the woodruff key if I had done with the hammer and block of wood to push the harmonic balancer inside the crankshaft.I went ahead and got this tool kit. Best news is I paid for the price and get it all back when I return the tool kit. No need for a replacement harmonic balancer or the woodruff key. Live and learn.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:37 PM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
If you go back to post #9 I already mentioned the puller/installer. It has been a long time since I remove a Toyota harmonic balancer so I didn't remember if it needed a puller or not. If you remember using a puller to remove it in the first place why would you think it should slip on?
Glad you figured it out, time to move on.