Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Crank pulley bolt missing

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crank pulley bolt missing

working on a 93 pickup 22re , Back story, daughter was driving it, seemed to be running normally, all the sudden stopped won't crank back.
Had to tow it home, has spark, fuel etc. everything checks out. pulled top to see in timing cover (we just replaced this a year ago)
The bottom gear split in half. seriously
So we took things apart and got to the crank pulley and the bolt is missing.
So not sure which came first, very curious ... but where to find the flanged bolt (besides online) none of our local junk yards have any yotas, and no parts store seems to have anything larger than a 12mm, online says its a 14mmx1.5
Old 09-04-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
You have a dealer near you and the part number?
Old 09-04-2018, 04:14 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
kgates probably doesn't have the part number, if he's thinking of going to junk yards, or "parts stores." No, you can't just use a 14mm bolt; there is a specially machined head on the crank bolt.

So here ya go: 90105-14004. $11.26 at this online dealer: https://parts.lakelandtoyota.com/p/T...010514004.html (probably a little more at a brick=and-mortar dealer, but you save postage, and maybe a little time).

First question: have you inspected the end of the crank? The missing crank bolt probably caused the harmonic balancer to walk out, until it no longer held the crankshaft timing sprocket, which then broke from the load. It is hard for me to imagine how that could transpire without destroying the end of the crank.

Next: how are you going to put your crank bolt in? The spec. torque is 116 ft-lbs; you probably lost the original because someone "tightened it as far as they could." How are you going to keep the crank from turning? You're going to need to fabricate a tool. There are lots of very clever designs for them to be found on this forum (no, an impact wrench alone won't even get close..)
Old 09-04-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Ask the local parts counter guy if they will price match Lakeland dealer, you might get lucky (helps to have your part number ready)
Old 09-05-2018, 06:35 PM

New issue

OK, we just changed this out a year ago, honestly a little fuzzy on who put the pulley/bolt back on. Husband is the one who worked on it with his daughter (her truck) and her boyfriend at the time (who is a whimp)
Not sure what happened but assuming it was never torqued enough but the pulley was right where it should be, so I (the wife) can't exactly see how it would have any bearing on the timing gear issue... but not the point.

This is the bolt, flanged originally
https://www.lceperformance.com/Pulle...BoC8Z8QAvD_BwE
I found a reasonable replacement finally locally, but plan to order OEM from a dealer because time has come to a stand still... Our new issue is the chain guide bolts are different

When we replaced chain and guides last year we bought cheap ebay ˟˟˟˟, because we had a crack in the cover and needed a new one, had a kit that included water, oil pumps chain guides cover gaskets the whole kit, great deal for the price... biting us in the ass now.
So we think crap parts caused the gear to split, no idea when the bolt was lost but there is no damage to the crank or pulley. New bolt threaded in just fine.

SO the replacement kit from last year had the single thin thickness guides for both and came with shorter standard bolts, we apparently trashed the specialty spacer bolts that go through the double thick plastic guides like original and the new set we have now. (we have dug through all spare parts buckets and junk metal buckets, found the old gears/chain/cover but no bolts. )

Where to find these bolts?! I have seen them in a full kit picture, but not sure what exactly they are called to find separately, there is no way to find these at a store counter, it will have to be online or dealer.
If I can't find reasonable replacements online tomorrow (Thursday) I will have to pray the dealer can get them in Friday

Images to include the set where I found them, split gear for fun, the crank pulley and shaft, no damage. and the guides, side by side, realizing my thickness estimates are very vague but gives you an idea (the thin is most likely 1/4, but whatever)

Old 09-06-2018, 03:38 AM

FYI found them online after a night of sleep rather than late night searching.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:05 AM

Received 134 Likes on 114 Posts
Don't know how far you are into the repair, or what timing kit you are going to use.

Amazon has a Sealed Power timing kit for $17.85. No idea why it's so cheap right now. Pretty sure the cam and crank sprocket are the same that's in the Cloyes kit. Both sprockets are USA made.

https://www.amazon.com/Sealed-Power-KT1028S-Timing-Kit/dp/B000C7LORE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1536244635&vehicle=1992-76-230-20-59-31-8-7-4744-1876-9-2-1896-207-1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=1992%3Atoyota%3Apickup&keywords=sealed+power+timing+chain+kit https://www.amazon.com/Sealed-Power-KT1028S-Timing-Kit/dp/B000C7LORE/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1536244635&vehicle=1992-76-230-20-59-31-8-7-4744-1876-9-2-1896-207-1-0&sr=1-1&ymm=1992%3Atoyota%3Apickup&keywords=sealed+power+timing+chain+kit
Old 09-06-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
I have some used parts I could sell for shipping costs if you're in a pinch. I have the shouldered bolts which hold the OEM plastic guides on. I also have a lower timing sprocket in good shape. I do not have a front crank bolt.

If the front crank bolt loosened up and fell out that would cause the timing sprocket to crack. Normally, the front crank bolt clamps the harmonic balancer, oil pump drive, and timing sprocket all together. The friction between each piece is actually what keeps stuff from spinning. This frictional force is distributed pretty evenly over the whole body of the timing sprocket. The Woodruff key is used only for positioning during assembly. It actually takes no load when the crank bolt is tight. If you assembled everything in the right orientation, you could leave the Woodruff key out with no issue. When the front crank bolt is missing, now the Woodruff key is forced to take all the torque between the crank and the lower timing sprocket. The torque is seen as a load on the sprocket in just one area. That's also the area with the smallest cross section so that causes it to split.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the offer and for that info, we were curious as to which came first the bolt gone or the gear split. (also had run it fairly low on oil, but not dry)

I have got all the bolts coming to the dealer tomorrow morning and taking a half day to go out there and pick them up. Then waste our Saturday putting it back together.

Hate it that the 21 year old drives her 'friends' all over the neighboring counties and doesn't care to actually take care of her truck.
Nothing beats my nephew and brother not getting my 90 4x4 5spd fun truck out of the bottoms (jumped out of gear in the mud, had nothing to pull it out with at the time) they said they would get it out, didn't and let it flood twice, once 4 feet over the cab. Anyone need some body parts? about all it's good for at this point... no one respects the yota