Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Covering a Topless 4runner

Old 07-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Covering a Topless 4runner

Just took my runner's top off yesterday. What I'd like to know is what you think the best way to cover it in the event of rain is. I don't have a garage at home. I've got tarps, but I know it's not the best to put the tarp directly on the paint. Do you think that just putting a cloth towel or blanket on the top and then placing the tarp on would be the best bet. Or if I need to figure out how to suspend it over it so it doesn't touch at all.... Other ideas welcome as well.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Take the carpet out and leave it open. Itll dry out Could get a nice seat cover thats waterproof for the back bench
Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fillsrunner4
Take the carpet out and leave it open. Itll dry out Could get a nice seat cover thats waterproof for the back bench
Carpet's been gone for a LONG time. Waterproof seat covers are a bit pricey, and it still doesn't keep a good heavy rain from getting the front's wet.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Front should not get to wet really youd be suprised. I run my top and doors off cover the seats in mud and water and a good vacume takes care of it all. Then again mines straight trailer so I can understand you wanting to keep as dry as possible. Just my $.02
Old 07-08-2008, 01:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey....those portable garages are stinkin' handy. Not too expensive either, if you shop around. I bought one to store hay in. The only problem is heavy winds. The straps the guy lines attach to are sewn into the poly material and can get ripped out. Mine was completely picked up by heavy winds, turned around 180*, and landed about 15' over from it's original spot bending a number of the poles. The guy lines did nothing to stop it, either. So, now I have the vertical frame posts lashed to t-posts and will be setting grommets wherever in the poly to run guy lines to some form of sturdier posts than the flimsy stakes the kit came with.

Other than that, one person can set it up easily enough and the material is pretty thick.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

The portable garage is a good idea. I saw them in the harbor freight ad. May have to look into it.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 PM

I always just threw a tarp over mine
Had no idea it was bad for the paint xD
Old 07-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rusche
I always just threw a tarp over mine
Had no idea it was bad for the paint xD
It says on the packaging that it shouldn't be laid directly on automotive finishes. I still don't know if putting a towel between the two would solve the problem.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the soft top that I saw on one here. I think that would solve the problem.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
When I leave mine out with the bikini on, I put a corner of a tarp in each door and shut the doors on the tarp, then pull it tight over the tailgate and attach it with bungee cords to the bottom of the bumper.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:51 PM

I got a car cover for like 20 bucks that I throw over it. Not the best but it works well enough for me
Old 07-08-2008, 10:48 PM

i just drove in the rain and got a lil wet no biggie other then that i just tarped her up every night takes about 5 minutes and hides it from everything! who cares about the paint you;ll get mud on it soon anyways!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:47 PM

I just took my top off a few days ago. I now have a bikini on it but that doesn't provide full coverage at night so I just tarp it. Bungees to the front wheels and one or two in back to the bumper or leaf springs and it's good to go. My paint sucks anyway so I'm not worried about that, and I've never heard that about tarps anyway. I think you'd have to leave it on for a while to do any damage.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by just a 22re
i just drove in the rain and got a lil wet no biggie other then that i just tarped her up every night takes about 5 minutes and hides it from everything! who cares about the paint you;ll get mud on it soon anyways!!!
I paid a little much to neglect my paint job....And, unfortunately I don't think I'll be doing any wheelin' until i get my suspension fixed.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerx3
When I leave mine out with the bikini on, I put a corner of a tarp in each door and shut the doors on the tarp, then pull it tight over the tailgate and attach it with bungee cords to the bottom of the bumper.
same here^^^
Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by bob200587
It says on the packaging that it shouldn't be laid directly on automotive finishes. I still don't know if putting a towel between the two would solve the problem.
Is this for a poly tarp? Have you looked into a canvas tarp or cotton duck? Seems like they'd be less abrasive.

On the other hand, man....if you've got the room (I'm assuming you don't already have a garage, either) the portable canopy would be real dandy. Think...it would be a quick, easy, and convenient place to stow the vehicle in nasty weather. Using towels and such I would think would become a chore rather quickly. Plus, you'd even have a place to work on it. Plus, plus...it would keep UV rays and any storm debris off the paint.

Just some thoughts...
Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by thook
Is this for a poly tarp? Have you looked into a canvas tarp or cotton duck? Seems like they'd be less abrasive.

On the other hand, man....if you've got the room (I'm assuming you don't already have a garage, either) the portable canopy would be real dandy. Think...it would be a quick, easy, and convenient place to stow the vehicle in nasty weather. Using towels and such I would think would become a chore rather quickly. Plus, you'd even have a place to work on it. Plus, plus...it would keep UV rays and any storm debris off the paint.

Just some thoughts...

I probably will look into some kind of car port type deal. For now, I just went ahead and put a blanket on the top and then put the tarp on and closed it in the doors. The good thing is, I have other things to drive if it is raining. Canvas or something would be nice....
Old 07-09-2008, 08:07 PM

Cool. Just be mindful....material wicks moisture. If the blanket gets wet, guess what happens! Drip...drip...drip...drip...inside the cab. I've done it.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:13 PM

my 4runer was under a blue tarp for a year strait while i was in Korea, paint is fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Covering a Topless 4runner