Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Coolant/Oil leak troubleshooting. New 88 Toyota Pickup owner.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coolant/Oil leak troubleshooting. New 88 Toyota Pickup owner.

Hey everyone,

This is my first post here! I recently acquired a 1988 Toyota Pickup and am just starting to get to know it. The first thing I'm trying to do is track down/understand a coolant & oil leak on the 22re. I should probably say I am new to working on engines, not just the 22re. I have the Haynes manual, but not the factory service manual (yet).

About the leaks. First, I cleaned up the engine compartment some so I could better track down the leak. In the process I noticed coolant pooling around the oil pan gasket (front passenger side corner). I tried to trace that to its source, which led me to the spot in the photo below. From what I can tell, it's coming from the timing chain cover. If I clean this area (marked with the red arrow) it will start to get wet in that spot within a few minutes. Note: in the photo below the A/C and its mounting bracket are removed.

Second, I took it for a test drive today to see how the leaks behaved. After about 10 minutes of driving I got out and checked - the surfaces I had previously cleaned were already very wet with what looked like mostly oil (but is likely mixed with coolant). So I drove home to investigate but couldn't really identify the source of the oil leak. My only guess is it's leaking at the oil pan gasket but I'm not confident that's right. I'm uncertain of this because it seems like oil was getting places a little higher up the block (but not near the head from what I could tell) which doesn't make sense to me, unless it was being blown up by the fan or wind. Here's are some photos after that 10 minutes of driving...

Also, this truck is new to me but I do know the engine was rebuilt about 20k ago by Poteat's Engine Rebuilding in Kannapolis, North Carolina (have the receipt from previous owner). In addition, the previous owner said he replaced the timing chain himself (not sure why). So I'm wondering if something about the timing chain replacement didn't go right.

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-31-2013, 03:12 PM

Approach to gasket fixing.

Hey all,

I've been reading and learning A LOT on these forums. Based on the info I've found here and from my Haynes manual, I want to ask a question...

When replacing the oil pan gasket, timing cover gaskets & head gasket, does it make sense to remove the engine instead of doing it in the truck?

It's seems like the main difficulty comes when removing the oil pan on 4x4s where methods vary from jacking the tranny/engine to dropping the front diff and removing some other frontend components. In the end, it just seems like a chore to get the oil pan out, so would pulling the engine be crazy to this job done (i.e. way too much unnecessary work?)
Old 10-31-2013, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason H

When replacing the oil pan gasket, timing cover gaskets & head gasket, does it make sense to remove the engine instead of doing it in the truck?

It's seems like the main difficulty comes when removing the oil pan on 4x4s where methods vary from jacking the tranny/engine to dropping the front diff and removing some other frontend components. In the end, it just seems like a chore to get the oil pan out, so would pulling the engine be crazy to this job done (i.e. way too much unnecessary work?)
If youre willing to do it that way then sure, it would make working on it 100% easier. But I see that your oil pan has been pulled before judging by the paint and cork gasket so that could def be one source of leak. I wouldnt trust a cork gasket all by itself, I like to use FIP (Form In Place) gasket maker. Timing chain cover could also very well be leaking and does appear to be, at least from what it looks like to me.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by dswag
If youre willing to do it that way then sure, it would make working on it 100% easier. But I see that your oil pan has been pulled before judging by the paint and cork gasket so that could def be one source of leak. I wouldnt trust a cork gasket all by itself, I like to use FIP (Form In Place) gasket maker. Timing chain cover could also very well be leaking and does appear to be, at least from what it looks like to me.
Thanks for the reply dswag. Ya, I think you're right that it's leaking from both the timing chain cover and the oil pan. About the cork oil pan gasket - I was reading the Haynes manual and there's a note that mentions using only FIPG on the oil pan...

"The oil pan on 1985 and later models doesn't require a gasket - liquid sealant, available at most auto parts stores, is used instead."

So, it sounds like my truck shouldn't even have an oil pan gasket.

Re: pulling the engine. The idea is pretty scary (never done anything like it before), but wrestling with the front diff and other components to get the oil pan out is also. So that, plus it'll be much easier to work with on a stand has me leaning that way. Also been reading this "How to pull your 22RE engine" post an it is great.