86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

convert to cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
convert to cruise control

I have a 90 4Runner SR5 w/3.0 , and I'm curious how hard would it be to convert it to factory OEM cruise control. I prefer the buttons on the steering as opposed to the audiovox box,

my only concern really is, would have to change out my steering column? Or is the stuff already there? I've done some searching but haven't turned anything up that really helped me out.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know, doing a cruise control addition can be a long, painful, and somewhat difficult process. While, taking it out of a vehicles is always somewhat more simpler then putting it back in (normally, no matter what you are talking about) I think it could possibly be just as easy to screw up a good rig doing this. We attempted to take the cruise out of my Beretta at one time, and we ended up having to replace the entire dash because of how confusing it got. Granted, the car was mostly a digitized sh*& bag, but it was still difficult. I ended up paying a lot of money to fix the car in the end.

That was also a different make and model, but as expierience, I say be happy with what you have.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:14 AM

I have the audiovox on the 22re and it was pretty easy except I needed a vacuum pump that they don't sell. You could get a lever style switch that mounts on the column for an extra $100. The crap you need to install one of these from factory would be a PITA. THere are relays, a vacuum pump, little electrical boxes, and the mechanical throttle parts to find. The steering column has a set of electric contact rings underneath, I have seen the steering wheel on ebay, I am curious about the need for the whole column too. If I were going to try and use the buttons on the steering wheel, I would try to use them with an aftermarket cruise to avoid all the other pieces. I called the dealer and just the vacuum pump new is $425.00 If you start this and run out of good parts, the price could get mighty high. Then you should see the FSM cruise trouble shooting section, whew! The Audiovox system (and others I guess) are self contained in in a little can actuator except for the switch. I wanna know if you try to install factory.

Last edited by trythis; 07-04-2006 at 05:16 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to mention the factory cruise control wiring would be wrapped in the factory wiring harness.

Aftermarket it surely the way to go here...
Old 07-04-2006, 11:30 AM

Aftermarket it is... I was just curious, thought maybe Toyota would make it easy to add Cruise Control to when of there vehicles on the production by basically leaving a few parts off.

I basically want a more cleaner install look, that almost looks factory, and it would be good if the Cruise Control light on my dash would come on to indicate.

Thats another reason I thought the swap might be easy, when I took my cluster out to fix a burnt a bulb, I noticed I had a spot in there for cruise control and the PCB on the back of the cluster had contact running to it, so I was under the impression that the Main ECU controlled the cruise control, and not a seperate cruise control ECU.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:47 PM

You could hook up the aftermarket power on to the light in the dash. When I turn mine on the little box has an LED that turns on. YOu could run a little relay to a seprate power buss and tap into the dash light. Get a special arm instead of the little switch box.
I asked toyota dealer about putting one in my wifes Matrix, they charge $350 for an aftermarket unit, they dont try to install a factory system. Just too complicated.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:45 PM

plus with OEM cruise, the throttle body on my 3vze has a longer shaft and an extra spring than on one without. They're not very interchangable. The screws on the butterfly would rather strip out than come loose so you can swap stuff around. good luck! Later...