Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Cold Starter clogged or bad injector

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Starter clogged or bad injector

I found the forum on here two days ago but I cant find it now. I figured I would look in my Chilton for the locations I needed however my Chilton is missing. My problem is my 1990 3vz 4runner (264k miles) turns over about 10+ times before it starts on a cold start. Once its warmed up or the lines are primed it starts right up. But there is a mild gas smell with maybe a mix of some other odor noticeable in the cab after its driven for a short time. This started last weekend and I haven't noticed any change in my gas mileage or acceleration so I doubt its my fuel injectors. I want to pull the cold starter but can't find an exact picture of its location anywhere. I have looked and I'm pretty sure where it is on the top right of the engine but I want to have a heads up on everything before I pull it. I also read on one post that it could possible be something called the "Penulum" (spelling)? I was going to replace the inline fuel filter to just because it hasn't been changed in 100k+ miles, but since my performance isn't lacking I didn't think it would be a clogged filter. If anyone could post links with pics for the cold starter or penulum... I would greatly appreciate it. And if anyone has any pointers let me know.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Copied and pasted from a previous thread....

On the 3.0 engine the CSI is on the passenger side of the intake plenum, at the top above where the EGR return pipe attaches to the plenum. It has a fuel line and an electrical connection on it. It is held on by 2 12 mm nuts... super easy to remove.

A Toyota dealer mechanic told me how to test it. Remove the CSI from the plenum but do not disconnect the fuel line or the electrical connection. Place the CSI in an empty jar and have a buddy crank the motor. (The motor should not start unless you block off the CSI opening in the plenum.)

When the key is turned to the on position, the injector should spray briefly then stop. If it does not spray or continues to seep or leak, it is faulty.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pic below

Passenger side, on the Plenum, about centered front back. In this picture I have taken off the fuel line that runs to it from the passenger side fuel rail. I have threaded the banjo bolt back into the injector. You can see the connector on the injector with the wire harness connector removed.

I sent mine off to Witchhunter performance to be cleaned when I did my rebuild. The thing gets seriously clogged with exhaust gas carbon due to the EGR in the same general area. You might try pulling it and cleaning it before getting it serviced.

Good luck.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody know if a dirty CSI would give me a hard warm start problem? Starts great ice cold and hot, but when it's just warm after a few hours of sitting, starts like crap.

I figure if the CSI was dirty or clogged then I'd have the opposite problem. Anybody know how the CSI time switch controls the CSI, is it temp related?

Sorry to thread jump man, just popped into my head when I was reading this thread.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:00 PM

Awesome, that's where I thought it was but wanted to check first. The bolts on mine had vibrated all the way loose and there was gas leaking around that area. I pulled it to clean it and will be putting it back on in about an hour. Surprisingly there was a lot of gunk built up on it. Thanks for the info and I will reply back with an update.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:48 PM

BUMP! Update on the issue above... So I cleaned the cold fuel injector line, it didn't really help out then after driving my truck I heard a hissing from behind the engine by the fire wall.... it was the ever famous fuel damper DENSO part #23207-65010. I have to say that it was hideous to get to removing the plenum. It's easy to remove all the bolts and hoses but a little time consuming. It took me just under an hour to remove everything in order to pull the plenum. With all the fuel lines removed I took some tape and marked each hose when they were in a tight area just to be safe, but really when you drop the plenum back down everything pretty much lines up to where it plugged in. After removing about 2 dozen bolts and un-coupling about the same amount of hoses it pulled right off and there was the little plastic cap laying on the top of my engine block. Removing it from the fuel rail the small screw and washer were missing. I read on some forums that if the screw vibrates loose the diaphragm inside is bad. I stopped by Napa and the part was $121.95 then Kragen and found it for $89.99. Picked one up and put everything together, runs perfect again and no gas smell or laggy cold start ignition. I also removed my hood and found it easier to get leverage when removing the rear H20 hoses and unscrewing the fuel rail bolts, also makes it brighter to see everything. But in all honestly, even though replacing this was easy it was just a bunch of busy work that sucked!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just for future people..

i believe that part he found just laying there was the cold start injector fuel line, thus letting fuel just squirt out of the rail (or so it sounds.)

my 3vz runs great cold, won't idle when warm, i'm gonna pull the CSI and check it, and then clean and reinstall it...if that solves my problem, GREAT...if it doesn't...maybe witchhunter?
Old 10-03-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by camo31_10.50
just for future people..

i believe that part he found just laying there was the cold start injector fuel line, thus letting fuel just squirt out of the rail (or so it sounds.)

my 3vz runs great cold, won't idle when warm, i'm gonna pull the CSI and check it, and then clean and reinstall it...if that solves my problem, GREAT...if it doesn't...maybe witchhunter?
Actually, no. The part he found lying there was the plastic cap for the fuel rail damper. I had the same thing happen to my 1991 3vz-e and the same cap was lying there and the screw was gone. I am posting this for future readers so they aren't misinformed by the above poster.