Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cold Start injector intermittent, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:02 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I appreciate the input. I will run some more hot/cold tests today. And work through your step by step. Also is there a better way to identify that is the correct vsv?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:15 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by YotaRick27
I appreciate the input. I will run some more hot/cold tests today. And work through your step by step. Also is there a better way to identify that is the correct vsv?
You are looking for a shortcut, fine. Put the fuel pressure gauge on that Schrader valve you have on the cold start injector, jumper the fuel pump on, then pull a vacuum on the regulator with a hand pump. Note wether the fuel pressure goes up or not. If it doesn't go up the regulator is faulty. Then bypass the vsv, move the regulator line to the intake, note the fuel pressure while cranking versus not cranking while the FP jumper is in place.

​​​​​Get the engine warmed up and in the no start condition. Put the regulator vacuum line direct to the intake. See if it starts. Check the fuel pressure with and without the bypass.

Neither of these will tell you what the mystery wires are, what the fpu signals are in which states, if the wires aren't crossed/shorted/damaged.

You will have higher pressure when there is vacuum in the intake (partial throttle), this means more fuel usage and strain on the fuel pump.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:48 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
..., jumper the fuel pump on, then pull a vacuum on the regulator with a hand pump. Note wether the fuel pressure goes up or not. If it doesn't go up the regulator is faulty. ...
You will have higher pressure when there is vacuum in the intake (partial throttle), this means more fuel usage and strain on the fuel pump.
Other way around. The fuel pressure goes down when you put vacuum on the FPR. http://web.archive.org/web/201501160...28fuelpump.pdf (vacuum is greater at idle than with engine stopped.)

The purpose of the FPR is to keep the pressure across the injectors constant. With vacuum in the plenum (idle), lower pressure. As the vacuum drops (pressure going up), the fuel pressure tracks and also rises.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:11 AM

It is part of the fuel pressure up vsv activation. It also uses THA (intake air temp) in the calculation (which explains why unplugging the vafm effects your start up).
Originally Posted by scope103
Other way around. The fuel pressure goes down when you put vacuum on the FPR. http://web.archive.org/web/201501160...28fuelpump.pdf (vacuum is greater at idle than with engine stopped.)

The purpose of the FPR is to keep the pressure across the injectors constant. With vacuum in the plenum (idle), lower pressure. As the vacuum drops (pressure going up), the fuel pressure tracks and also rises.
Good catch, thanks..

The FPU vsv switches the FPR vacuum to atmosphere pressure, as stated in the excerpt posted above.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 AM

You can verify the open/closed state of the fpu vsv by putting a vacuum guage on the FPR hose.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:53 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
You can verify the open/closed state of the fpu vsv by putting a vacuum guage on the FPR hose.
Or putting your thumb on the end of the hose. A gauge is more repeatable, but I wouldn't buy one just for this.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
Or putting your thumb on the end of the hose. A gauge is more repeatable, but I wouldn't buy one just for this.
thumb, digital binary vacuum guage!
Old 02-12-2018, 12:25 PM

I checked the FPR vacuum and it seems to be operating normally.(pressure rises once disconnected) So just to clarify yall want me to pull the vacuum hose off the FPR and verify it has vacuum suction when it is in the no start mood?
Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 PM

I seriously hope I start finding clues to this issue and that the weather warms up another 3-4 inches of snow this weekend and my garage heater only does so much before I get choked out. (not good also because i've been fighting a cold for 8 days now)
Old 02-12-2018, 12:50 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by RASALIBRE
My stab at it would be a bad ground at E2 (high resistance to ground at E2) when engine is heat soaked. Possibly bad connections similar to how your injector wiring was. E2 is tied into the AFM, TPS, and THW (ECU water temp sensor.)

This could be a possible solution but quite a lot of work to find a bad ground in the entire wire harness. I need to do more research on how to find a bad ground or bad wire.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM

I want you to sort out those loose/floppy wires, I'm curious why the vafm unplug works exactly.

You, at this​​​ point, just want it to bloody start and quit stranding you places.

It is an intermittent condition, these are never simple to diagnose. It may wind up being a simple fix but you have to find the issue first.

Yes check the state of the fpu, what is the pressure and vsv state (open/closed). If it's in the high state and not starting try without fpu active and if it's not high try it high.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:22 PM

Really not that hard to find by doing the voltage drop testing. I described this earlier. Measure each junction from one side to the other on the ground wire, when you find something non-zero clean it up wire brush it and cinch it down if it doesn't get better just move on down to the next junction.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:24 PM

I want you to sort out those loose/floppy wires, I'm curious why the vafm unplug works exactly.

You, at this​​​ point, just want it to bloody start and quit stranding you places.

It is an intermittent condition, these are never simple to diagnose. It may wind up being a simple fix but you have to find the issue first.

Yes check the state of the fpu, what is the pressure and vsv state (open/closed). If it's in the high state and not starting try without fpu active and if it's not high try it high.
So I want to clarify, I did check the fuel pressure by unplugging the VSV but I have not checked vacuum pressure yet. By loose wires do you mean the 3 that go to the ignition control module from the lower intake over the top of the motor?

Last edited by YotaRick27; 02-12-2018 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:38 PM

So I measure the resistance from a part of the wire to the ground and if anything pops up like on 20k ohms lets say it reads .03 then I remove ground clean it and re-check to try and get it to 0?
Old 02-12-2018, 04:30 PM

So I want to clarify, I did check the fuel pressure by unplugging the VSV but I have not checked vacuum pressure yet. By loose wires do you mean the 3 that go to the ignition control module from the lower intake over the top of the motor?
the numeric value isn't relevant, vacuum or fuel line. Just that it changes, what state it is in with the no start and if that changes when you do the vafm unplug trick.

Loose unknown wires are the two you out to that temp sender/switch on the t-stat housing. And any others you have just hanging in open air not connected to what they should be.

Voltage drop testing, you might want to reread the post before you didn't get any of the major points. You are not measuring the resistance directly on an unloaded wire, you measure the voltage as it is passing current. Resistance will only tell you that it is or isn't an open circuit in the case of a high-power circuit..

So again, voltage drop test. With you meter set to 20vdc. For example the battery connections are "suspect". Headlights on highbeam, dmm set to 20vdc, red probe to the negative battery terminal, black probe to the negative battery cable lug. Zero volts is a good reading, anything over (made up number) say half a volt means you need to clean and tighten the battery post and cable lug junction.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
This could be a possible solution but quite a lot of work to find a bad ground in the entire wire harness. I need to do more research on how to find a bad ground or bad wire.
Easier than you think. And if you have t pins and a digital volt meter, it's free. Get some t pins.
ON A COLD TRUCK
Verify E2 at all those sensors. Back probe E2 at each sensor (one sensor at a time is probably best). Turn ignition/key on. Turn digital volt/ohm meter (dvom) to D.C. Volt. Connect one dvom lead to the battery negative and the other lead to the back probed t pin at E2. Repeat at E2 for each sensor, write down dvom reading for each sensor. It's possible (slim but possible) you might not find any bad readings because the truck starts and runs fine cold...
ON A HOT TRUCK
Now, drive the truck around get it up to temp. Obviously you would like to get the symptoms to arise at your house or wherever you're working on this thing. Get these no hot start symptoms (or whatever they are, my brain is mush right now, long day) to happen. Then repeat the same process you did on the cold truck on the hot truck when it is experiencing the symptoms. Record all findings. The highest reading points to the wiring being bad around that sensor. Likely, if this is a voltage drop problem, all findings will be exacerbated on the hot truck because as temp goes up resistance goes up and voltage goes down or drops. Hence, voltage drop.

Anything registering on the dvom higher than a half volt proves voltage drop to ground. Find a reading higher than the others, then that sensor WIRING is closer to the issue than the others. You're looking for bad wiring. Specifically, resistance. Though wires may pass a continuity test they can still have high resistance with voltage applied (why ignition keyed on is so important), and that is what this voltage drop test is showing/proving, voltage drop to ground.

If you get through all of this and all dvom readings are 0 to .5 volts, then you can back probe E2 at the ECU, with ignition keyed on, dvom set to D.C. Volts, and verify that there is no voltage drop to ground in the ecu. Any reading over .5 volts implys there is voltage drop aka bad ecu.

If all of this proves futile, well at least you have somewhat wrapped your head around voltage drop tests. Which also work on the positive side of circuits too. Just not as common. Set dvom to D.C. Voltage, put one lead on the positive battery terminal and the other lead on the positive/power side of the circuit. It will come in handy at some point.

Last edited by RASALIBRE; 02-12-2018 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Old 02-12-2018, 06:26 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Headlights on highbeam, dmm set to 20vdc, red probe to the negative battery terminal, black probe to the negative battery cable lug. Zero volts is a good reading, anything over (made up number) say half a volt.

I suggest doing both positive side as well as ground.
I found this site that says acceptable volt. drop is 3% =
.36 V on our trucks. (https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/a...uge-d_730.html).
I would shoot for that or less.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by RASALIBRE

E1 to negative battery post, you can clean these. Battery cable to block and fender, ECU ground to intake.

E1 to E2, mostly internal to the ECU. Make sure both spade connectors are clean and tight.

​​​​​​This will clean up your ECU voltage some.

​​​E2 to sensors, this is what Rasalibre is concerned with. You'll want to clean the sensor side spade. Note these are low current computer signals, something in the 10-50ma range. You won't see large variance unless there is wire damage between a hot and cold engine bay.

You can do the same voltage drop tests to the ECU power inputs. Clean up the connectors, again tighten the spade lugs. A big variable there will be voltage drop in the efi relay itself.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Maybe Problem is From TOO LOW a resistance not high resistance.

... I'm curious why the vafm unplug works exactly.....
Maybe Problem is From TOO LOW a resistance not high resistance.
Rick,
After you check that all connections are good, you may want to consider this:

The variable resistances in the AFM act as variable voltage divider. Total 12V voltage is supplied by B+. The ECU reads voltages @ E2, THA, VS, LC pins produced by those variable resistance.
When the AFM is momentarily disconnected, 12V from B+ is disconnected, resulting in zero or low Voltage at E2, THA, VS, LC, and the truck starts.
Disconnecting the AFM also means resistances between E2, THA, VS, LC pins and AFM is infinity or HIGHER. This seems to make the truck start.
The above suggests that TOO LOW resistance or TOO HIGH a voltage at one of those test points is the cause of no start.

If I had this same problem, I would either:
1) Insert momentary normally-closed switch in those lines one at a time and see which line, when momentarily interrupted allows truck to start, OR
2) Monitor (as I mentioned earlier) voltages with little temporary volt-meters on dash, and observe which voltage ECU "likes". Sounds like a lot of work, of course, like putting vital signs monitors on a patient
Attached Thumbnails Cold Start injector intermittent, HELP!-screen-shot-2018-02-12-8.42.18-pm.png   Cold Start injector intermittent, HELP!-screen-shot-2018-02-12-8.47.15-pm.png   Cold Start injector intermittent, HELP!-screen-shot-2018-02-12-8.47.21-pm.png  

Quick Reply: Cold Start injector intermittent, HELP!