Code 52 Tech Thread - Page 8 - YotaTech Forums

86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Code 52 Tech Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 AM   #141  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
Question, if oil or antifreeze leaks into the valley where the KS is located and accumulates can it short out the KS or the connection between the pigtail and KS?
It should have a weather tight seal on the plug to prevent this, as well it's a sealed sensor. So generally no. But if there is penetration it will effect the signal strength.

I didn't read the thread above. Just a quick refresher if it's needed. The knock sensor is a piezoelectric device, this means it generates it's electrical signal and doesn't receive any power from the ECU. They are quite fragile if impacted to heavily they can and will shatter and either provide a smaller signal or not signal at all (sub text don't hit it directly to test it, tap on the block near by)
Co_94_PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:36 AM   #142  

I've recently been blessed with becoming one of the "Code 52" crowd. :-( Very intermittent so far but becoming more frequent.. Regardless, still have a problem somewhere that is going to need addressing.

From the way I read things it can be up to 4 things.

1) the KS itself (original)
2) the KS pigtail wire. (replaced this with a new Toyota one approx. 6 yrs ago when doing a head gasket job)
3) wiring issue from pigtail connector to ECU.
4) ECU (someone mentioned earlier in this thread about finding 3 capacitors in their ECU tied to the KS circuitry which went bad, replaced the caps with success

Cheers
Andy A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #143  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 128keaton View Post
Looks like it's missing some pins
Question: is the PinOut I posted still good for my ECU?

Edit: I think it's this one: B7:

So I've been trying to diagnose my code 52 as well, on my 94 pickup 3vze M/T. I just ordered a new denso knk sensor and sub-harness so that should be here shortly. Am I right in reading this diagram that pin 5 on the B connector is the KNK sensor, even on a M/T vehicle? I was testing plug B pin 4 with my multimeter earlier as that is the wire my diagram was showing... Are the A/T and M/T pinouts different? Really need to get this darn 52 tracked down, I'm prepared to rewire the whole circuit with rg-58 a/u if need be.
Boostincx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:34 PM   #144  

B5 is the correct one I believe. Where is the other diagram you're talking about that has it labeled as B4?
dbd6604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #145  

Just something I had pulled off Google images.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #146  

Yeah I've seen this floating around before. All the other ones I've seen have the knock sensor on B5 though, so that's what I'd go with.
dbd6604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #147  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostincx View Post
Just something I had pulled off Google images.
.. Clipped
This image shows the bottom of the ECU not a plug. You'll need to count from right to left instead of left to right. It still shows it at pin5.
Co_94_PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #148  

I'll have to look tomorrow when it's daylight again. I pulled the throttle body so I could get to the plug for the knock sensor, both wires insulation was cracked at the harness plug.... almost would say the ground and signal wires were touching.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #149  

shield had voltage on it so I am replacing the line..
I did do the other no no tried a cheve sensor so I am going back to Toyota.
You did say it a closed system so no other input to knock ?
maxscott1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:16 PM   #150  

The shielding is grounded. If you check it against a positive terminal you will get positive voltage. If you check it against ground, you should get no voltage. If you get voltage, there is a short. I'm 99.99% sure about this from when I chased my own code 51 crap.
Gevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #151  

Reviving this thread after a bit it seems! I was having a CEL for a week and a bit before I was able to deal with it today. I have codes 43 and 52. Thanks to this thread I figured it was the knock sensor or its wiring and where it was and. Since we did an oil change at the same time it was easy to get a wrench in there to undo the knock sensor. However when I went to pull the connector off the knock sensor, the female plug just came right off the sensor, leaving it in two pieces. I unscrewed the knock sensor and this is what I have now. We have a theory: a small coolant leak from a pipe up above has been dripping coolant on it for a while, causing whatever that pink stuff is to corrode. My question is, is that black/dark brown fluid supposed to be on the inside of the sensor? The interior of the sensor and the plug were coated in it. It's not connected to the oil pan in any ways, but it is near the oil filter and oil sensor so perhaps a very messy oil filter changed splashed oil all over it? Would that corrode it and make it fall apart? Or would it be the coolant corroding that adhesive or whatever it is....Anyways, super happy I don't have to chase a wiring issue, and once I get a new sensor this should be an easy fix (crossing my fingers).

Last edited by weirdchylde; 01-26-2018 at 04:49 PM.
weirdchylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:48 PM   #152  

V6 Knock Sensor Discontinued

Toyota told me the knock sensor pigtail is discontinued for my 95 4 Runner. The dealer suggested the junk yard but I'm hesitant to put in an old part. Are there any aftermarket sources?

TIA
Brian
BrianMcHugh is offline   Reply With Quote