YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/)
-   -   Code 52 Tech Thread (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116/code-52-tech-thread-216933/)

shaeff 05-06-2010 06:10 PM

Code 52 Tech Thread

****THREAD EDITED BY OCDROPZONE TO ELIMINATE SOME BS THAT WHEN ON IN THIS THREAD, TRIED TO LEAVE THE TECH AS INTACT POSSIBLE***?'S-pm ME.***

It's fine to drive on it like that, you'll just get poor fuel mileage. When the ECU has code 52 registered, it enriches fuel mixture (not electronically, but is a byproduct of the retarded timing), and retards the timing. It's doing this in an effort to prevent detonation/pre-ignition.

Code 52 is just an electrical problem. It means that there's a fault in one of the following areas:

1) Knock sensor
2) The wiring (this is usually the case)
3) ECU (rarely the problem)

Always use an OEM TOYOTA knock sensor! Cheap aftermarkets have too many issues!

Team420 05-08-2010 07:19 AM

I had this problem with my rig...took me 2 yrs to figure out the fix... first thing i did was replace the pigtail... no go, next I tested the knock sensor, and idk if the test i did was accurate or not, but I did get readings as I would have suspected with a good sensor, so the next step for me was to rewire it directly to the ecu as some of the wiring was not real healthy... this also did nothing for me....still had code 52...
The next step I took was a bit more drastic, and I'm not 100% sure which was the fix, but I replaced the knock sensor, the valve cover gaskets and the pcv valve, and sure enough the code 52 went away, and the truck ran like new.... I knew I had a vacuum leak before which is why I did the valve cover gaskets, and I really suspect the vacuum leak was causing a lean condition and causing a knock which was out of range for the ecu to adjust timing, therefor throwing the code..... thats my best guess anyway. And for the record...I preformed the same test on the new knock sensor as the old, and got the readings I expected... the test was to hook up an multimeter to the snesor(were looking for milivolts here), run the vehicle, and see if the readings change with acceleration, as it should.

Good luck, and if you got anymore questions about it, shoot me a pm... I have a hard time explaining what I did in type...but I know this system pretty well now, and will do what I can.

shaeff 05-08-2010 11:20 AM

The valve cover gaskets, and PCV had nothing to do with your fix. If you replaced those three items, it was your knock sensor.

The KS circuit is closed, meaning the only things that effect it are the ECU, wiring, or knock sensor. It's not a terribly difficult system to figure out.

In my experience, it's usually the wiring that fails.

Team420 05-10-2010 04:40 AM

I have to disagree.... I do understand that the ecu looks for a signal from the KS, and it is a fairly simple system. The KS senses knock, and then retards the timing to compensate, however, it only has so much room to compensate, and if there is still knock when it reaches its limit, u get the code 52. I always thought the same thing about the code 52...if u get it, there is a short in the wiring somewhere, but after all I have read, and all those I have talked to, I havent been able to come up with a definitive answer, so... my point is...if you are going in to change the KS, you will be right there and have everything needed apart to do the valve cover gaskets, and the pcv valve, so u might as well do them... I think the pcv valve was like $4, and the vc gaskets were about $20.... so kinda a no brainer.
I just wish I would have done that the first time I had it all apart.

shaeff 05-10-2010 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Team420 (Post 51441992)
I have to disagree.... I do understand that the ecu looks for a signal from the KS, and it is a fairly simple system. The KS senses knock, and then retards the timing to compensate, however, it only has so much room to compensate, and if there is still knock when it reaches its limit, u get the code 52.

Show me proof. You're wrong. When it reaches it's limit you ping/detonate/run lean. When the KS's are working they're damn near invisible.

Originally Posted by Team420 (Post 51441992)
I always thought the same thing about the code 52...if u get it, there is a short in the wiring somewhere, but after all I have read, and all those I have talked to, I havent been able to come up with a definitive answer, so... my point is...if you are going in to change the KS, you will be right there and have everything needed apart to do the valve cover gaskets, and the pcv valve, so u might as well do them... I think the pcv valve was like $4, and the vc gaskets were about $20.... so kinda a no brainer.
I just wish I would have done that the first time I had it all apart.

I've been making and selling knock sensor rewire kits for MKIII Supras for years. I know how they work. Code 52 is just an electrical problem, having but a few problem areas.

Where in the list of trouble areas does it state anything you've said?
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...h_30ef938a.jpg

Originally Posted by TOYOTA FSM
-Open or short in knock signal circuit
-knock sensor (looseness, etc...)
-ECM

While I agree with you on the preventative "while you're in there" maintenance, you're just flat out wrong in your other statements regarding the causes of code 52.

Team420 05-11-2010 03:35 AM

well, thats why I said I'm not 100% sure..... but unless someone shows me proof that it isnt possible....

*edit*

Ok, just re-read my post... guess I never actually said I'm not 100%, so my bad.

To the o.p..... if your changing the KS, change the vc gaskets, and pcv valve while in there..if you have the time and $, I would also send the injectors out to be cleaned, and replace the t-belt, and water pump as well....

ozziesironmanoffroad 05-11-2010 05:08 AM

if i were you before you get TOO into it like i did with mine, check the sensor itself. make sure its not loose like mine was. code 52 was plagueing me, i ran a new wire from the ECU to the plug, no change. changed the plug, no change. finally, at my wits end, i go to remove it to replace it. what do ya know.. it unthreads twice then falls off in my hand. i tighten it up good, plug it in, and never came back on. so something to look into...

shaeff 05-11-2010 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Team420 (Post 51442779)
well, thats why I said I'm not 100% sure..... but unless someone shows me proof that it isnt possible....

*edit*

Ok, just re-read my post... guess I never actually said I'm not 100%, so my bad.

To the o.p..... if your changing the KS, change the vc gaskets, and pcv valve while in there..if you have the time and $, I would also send the injectors out to be cleaned, and replace the t-belt, and water pump as well....

I'm telling you dude, that's not how the ECU works. I fully agree that you should do the other stuff as preventative maintenance, but none of that will effect the knock circuit. Another +1 for injector cleaning. I sent mine to RCEngineering and the truck never idled/revved better! Good advice. :)

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X (Post 51442798)
So is the "electrical problem" isolated to the knock sensor wiring circuit?

Yes.

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X (Post 51442801)
If you have been making and selling these, why?.... I assume they have an abnormal or above average failure rate?? If so, why do they fail? If it's the "rewire kits"... why do they fail?

Your wording is throwing me off, but I'll bite. On the MKIII Supra, (remember, the turbo model engine bays get VERY hot) the OEM wires just get old and brittle. They fail, thus causing code 52.

The rewire kits I make for them are almost plug'n'play, use brand new OEM connctors, coax wire, and 99% of the time fix the problem. The only time one of my harnesses did NOT fix the problem was when someone had one or both knock sensors that were faulty.

Code 52 is a common problem with the MKIII Supra, but is very easy to fix.

OutlawMike 05-11-2010 07:54 AM

One thing to note.

The torque spec on the knock sensor is only 52 in-lbs. I had to do a bunch of digging to get that from a master-tech at my local dealer, as that is not in my '89 FSM. If you overtorque the sensor it shears off internally below the nut feature and can cause an internal issue with the sensor.

Just one more thing to throw out there.

I would start with the wiring from the pigtail to the ECU, as you are doing now. That wiring harness gets really stiff over time and you may have cracked a wire moving it around the engine compartment during the rebuild.

Good luck

shaeff 05-11-2010 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X (Post 51442893)
OK, got it. So, on the 22s, is it likely that heat and old brittle wires cause the 52 Code? And, the knock sensor itself does NOT fail that often?

Thanks for the great information.

I would put old brittle wires at the top of my list of things to check. Figure the wires are at least 16yrs old or so, which leaves a lot of time for things to bake in the engine bay. The most common problem is the wiring. The knock sensors don't usually fail, but it does happen. Many times from people hitting them with a wrench or something along those lines.

You're very welcome!

Originally Posted by OutlawMike (Post 51442897)
One thing to note.

The torque spec on the knock sensor is only 52 in-lbs. I had to do a bunch of digging to get that from a master-tech at my local dealer, as that is not in my '89 FSM. If you overtorque the sensor it shears off internally below the nut feature and can cause an internal issue with the sensor.

Just one more thing to throw out there.

I would start with the wiring from the pigtail to the ECU, as you are doing now. That wiring harness gets really stiff over time and you may have cracked a wire moving it around the engine compartment during the rebuild.

Good luck

This is actually what I ducked back in here to cover. I didn't remember the exact torque spec (thanks for posting it!) but over torquing them will result in false readings as well. The knock sensor(s) listen for a very specific hz frequency at which knock occurs. I'm unsure of what that exact frequency is on the 22re/3vz, but on the MKIII Supra its around 7hz. That's the point at which the ECU will start to retard timing, and enrich the fuel mixture in an effort to prevent detonation/pre-ignition.

I have also seen the KS's break due to people over torquing them. (not on the 22re's but other motors.

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X (Post 51442914)
Surprisingly, over the years I've read so many posts regarding discussions of "overtorqueing" bolts and nuts on these engines. I never use a torque wrench (only on my head bolts), and haven't had any problems with over-torqueing or bolts or nuts backing off. In my past I rebuilt VW engines and rebuilt alloy 2-cycles, I guess I just got used to working with alloy components. Also, my Dad was a mechanic and remember a few times he twisted off a bolt and he would cuz a blue-streak for about 10 minutes!!
<snip>
One thing about these Toy engines, especially the 20s and 22s, as a DIY you don't get a whole lot of practice.... if well maintained, they seem to be incredibly reliable.

Right there with you. On many cars there's no way to reach some areas with a torque wrench, so you've gotta develop a feel for about what's right, all the while keeping in mind how heat/cold will effect that area of the motor.

I definitely agree with that as well. The biggest job I've had to do with my 22re is the headgasket at 140k. I blame it on the PO's lack of maintenance. It's got 170k on it now and runs like a top, burns no oil. I can't kill this thing!

bend 05-11-2010 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by shaeff (Post 51442857)

The rewire kits I make for them are almost plug'n'play, use brand new OEM connctors, coax wire, and 99% of the time fix the problem. The only time one of my harnesses did NOT fix the problem was when someone had one or both knock sensors that were faulty.

Code 52 is a common problem with the MKIII Supra, but is very easy to fix.

So do you still make the kits? Would they work on our trucks? From what I understand the pigtail that one would buy from the dealership has to be spliced in. I would love it if I could find a plug and play kit.

shaeff 05-11-2010 12:58 PM

I do, but only for MKIII Supras. I've only worked on a few 3vz powered trucks, so I don't know how long a wire to use, or even what connector they use.

As for the 22re, I would have to find out if the connector is available from Toyota or not.

shaeff 06-14-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by flecker (Post 51473639)
Good gawd.... cry me a river guys,.:yap::cry2:

Heres a hint until I get it ALL down the way I want. It involves some wire and a 22re KS. WHY!??! you ask?

Think frequency, as in khz and a certain range.

Right, because it's usually the wiring that goes bad, as I've mentioned numerous times in this thread. And if it's not that, it's the sensor. The ECU usually doesn't go bad...

And I mentioned that there's a specific frequency that the KS listens for. Each motor has a specific frequency at which spark knock/detionation/pre-ignition occurs. So what new information can you add?

Originally Posted by flecker
If you want to get by in the mean time, do this- drill a 1/2" hole in your lift hook on the drivers side. Install old KS with nut from ACE hardware that fits and make it tight, like 40 ft. lbs. tight. Use a pigtail from dealer to run it there for a while, that WILL work and get you by for a bit.

Yeah, don't do that. What a cob-job, not to mention that then your motor has ZERO protection against spark knock...

Originally Posted by LONEMAN (Post 51473872)
I know some think it's an electrical problem, but I'm starting to think mine is vacuum related because it usually only comes on under load after 1400 rpms. If driving downhill, I can get it up to higher rpms before it comes on. However, yesterday I was in 4LO in 1st gear well past 3500 rpms and no code until I put it back in 2HI.

Thanks Fletcher for posting the follow up, but don't let this go on for much longer!

No, it IS an electrical problem. I don't THINK it. I KNOW it. Read the FSM, and read up on how knock sensors work before you jump to conclusions. It has nothing to do with vacuum.

flecker 06-14-2010 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by shaeff (Post 51474389)
Right, because it's usually the wiring that goes bad, as I've mentioned numerous times in this thread. And if it's not that, it's the sensor. The ECU usually doesn't go bad...

My wiring was fine, ohmed all the way through with ZERO resistance. So nope, wasn't it.

And I mentioned that there's a specific frequency that the KS listens for. Each motor has a specific frequency at which spark knock/detionation/pre-ignition occurs. So what new information can you add?

True. The 3vze Has a specific range of app. 7khz, when it senses noise above that the pietzo (vibe crystals) device registers a signal to the ECU and trips the KS code. After a tear down theres some noise created elsewhere on the engine which could be one of many things. The wiring is a shielded run from sensor to ECU- again, mine was fine pigtail and all. There are so many things that can trick the sensor it's rediculous, so a higher range of about 9k is a modest jump yet still able to sense knocking, specifically outside of noise pollution generated from the rest of the engine components.

Yeah, don't do that. What a cob-job, not to mention that then your motor has ZERO protection against spark knock...

The sensor will still pickup a knock in that location just fine, I tested this theory by tapping on the other side of the block and watching the Khz on my fluke register that knock and set the code off again

No, it IS an electrical problem. I don't THINK it. I KNOW it. Read the FSM, and read up on how knock sensors work before you jump to conclusions. It has nothing to do with vacuum.

edited

shaeff 06-14-2010 03:41 PM

No it's totally cool, if you prove me wrong I'll kindly admit that I'm wrong. But I still seriously doubt that I am. LOL.

You are straight wrong about that though, your motor can knock all it wants, and you won't get code 52. That's why I'm getting my panties all in a wad. Code 52 does NOT mean that there's a problem with ignition, or any khz frequency, it means that there's a problem in the knock circuit.

Find me a definitive source that states that if your khz readings are outside the specified range that you will get a code 52.

When the knock sensors operate, they do so invisibly. When they're working, or when you get ping/knock/detonation ,there is NO code for that! It's like I'm beating my head against a wall...

Edit: and yes, it's crucial to have that shielded wire grounded well. ;)

shaeff 06-14-2010 04:02 PM

No disagreement that it's a closed signal circuit....

However, that being said do you suppose outside noise emmited from that closed circuit will affect the funtion of the circuit that was designed to listen within a certain range? AND BTW- it isn't a 100% closed because the ground loops into the GROUNDING SYSTEM. The signal is closed. NOT the entire circuit.

The FSM doesn't explain the whole enchilada. Period. It doesn't go into detail about ANY of the electronc workings of the system and degredation of said electronics over a lifespan of the vehicle does it? T.
Sure. However, what kind of noise are we talking about here? Electrical noise, or mechanical noise from the motor?

Ok I agree that just the signal is closed. By "closed circuit" I simply mean that the knock circuit is not tied to any other circuit's function aside from the ground.

I understand that the FSM isn't the be all/end all of vehicle repair. However, if you're implying that mechanical noise is causing the code 52, then I disagree. If you're implying that outside electrical noise is penetrating the coax, then yes, I agree 100%, which brings us right back to the wiring being the issue.

I think outside the box on a daily basis, but sometimes thinking outside the box isn't necessary to solve a problem.

YotaFreakTN 06-17-2010 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the KS circuit is a dedicated circuit. one wire to the KS and no wire returning. the wire returning completes the signal to the ECU when the KS closes (senses pre-detonation) and shorts to the block. The ECU senses the new load on that particular output, in this case the KNK pinout. Attachment 186907

So I will withstand a correcting, there is only ONE wire going TO the KS and none returning. That much further solidifying the point of shaeff and myself. You have a short, bad KS, or a frozen contact/short in your ECU. Or your timing is advanced too much and causing a knock.

shaeff 06-17-2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by YotaFreakTN (Post 51477176)
Or your timing is advanced too much and causing a knock.

We agree on all but this one point. :)

Regardless of whether the motor has spark knock, rod knock, or something loose banging around, none of that will cause code 52.

shaeff 06-19-2010 02:10 PM

Back it up shaeff.

And YES moving my sensor from the original location WORKED~ maybe you could explain that? lol.
I also have a well written article FROM TOYOTA that fefutes all you have said- Lemme get it....
I already sent him a PM asking if he could shoot the info my way. And in all honesty, I can't explain why moving the sensor worked. Makes no sense.

It is possible, though not common,
for a knock sensor to be “fooled” by
outside circumstances. For instance,
if the vehicle pulls a trailer that generates
a banging noise as a result of
a loose hitch connection, the knock
sensor might generate a signal if the
engine block is subjected to the
appropriate vibration.
Other examples
of conditions that might influence
a knock sensor would include
a connecting rod bearing “knock” as
a result of excessive bearing clearance,
or possibly a loud audio system
that hits the sensor’s frequency
range. These are uncommon
sources, but should be considered if
the sensor, circuit and ECM pass
inspection, and you find evidence
that timing is continually being
retarded.

Also, do not apply a thread locking
compound onto the knock sensor
threads unless specifically instructed
to do so by the vehicle service
manual. It is possible that a thread
sealant or locking compound may
degrade the vibration frequencies
being transmitted to the sensor.

They do NOT disagree with me. I never said that an outside noise couldn't cause the timing to be retarded if, under the rare circumstance, that noise was at about 7hz. Your excerpt quoted above says NOTHING about illumination of the CEL due to said outside noise interference. ;)

generate a signal if the
engine block is subjected to the
appropriate vibration.

This does not mean illuminate the CEL and register code 52. It means that it would output the signal to the ECU to call for retarded timing. (which is a max of 10* of retard by the way)

and you find evidence
that timing is continually being
retarded.

Evidence would be lack of power, acceleration, rich running condition. NOT a CEL. ;)

Edit: and this is exactly what I've been saying the entire time, which actually helps me prove MY point:

If a diagnostic trouble code 52
appears, this indicates an open or
short in the knock sensor circuit
when engine speed is between 1,200
and 6,000 rpm. The trouble area
could involve an open or short in
the knock sensor circuit, looseness
of the knock sensor at its threaded
block connection, or the trouble
could involve the ECM.
If the ECM detects a code 52, it
operates the engine in a failsafe
mode, setting the ignition retard to
Fall 2004 T OYOTA’ S S UPPORT T O AUTOMOTIVE R EPAIR
MAP, KNOCK AND TPS

:)

Edit2: and here is a quote from my friend, all of which came from the TCCS (Toyota Computer Control System) manual:

Originally Posted by jdub
In this case the knock sensor works exactly the same. It "listens" for a 7kHz signal - the sensor is a piezoelectric element, just like a microphone. There are two type of sensors:
1) Generates high voltage over a narrow range of frequency
2) Generates high voltage over a wide range of frequency

Highest voltage is generated by both types at a 7 kHz peak. It is this peak plus the duration that the ECU uses to judge the amount of timing correction based on strong, medium, or weak voltage from the sensor - big knock, big correction - small knock, small correction. In any case the timing correction is limited to 10 degs retard. When knock ceases, the ECU resumes timing advance in increments.

There is no ECU Toyota makes that will set a code 52 when the ECU is under knock timing correction. Some engines only use knock correction under heavy load (vac < 200 mm/hg) - others use it over the entire operating range (like the 7M). It's an abnormality that sets a code 52 - the sensor, wiring, or ECU are the only cause.

shaeff 06-20-2010 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by logmont (Post 51478923)
Welded a nut to engine lift hook. Screwed in new Toyota knk sensor, with new pigtail. Just drove it 12 miles, (new record), NO CODE 52, knock on wood. I will give this some time to make sure of no more codes.

Question?????
If I move new knk to proper place, do you think the code 52 problem will return?
The new sensor in the block was purchased at NAPA. Have had problems with electrical components from NAPA in the past. Maybe bad sensor????????????
:welder:

Move the knock sensor back to the proper location and report back. I'm willing to bet that you got a bum sensor from NAPA.

Originally Posted by Gnarly4X (Post 51479013)
:think:Someone help me out here. There are posts by, what appears to be some electronic "genius", claiming that the FSM is correct and that ONLY 3 things can cause a code 52. Another "genius" says "think outside the box"... (which box).... and apparently fixed the code 52 issue WITHOUT using one of the 3 suggested by the "Toyota information.. blah, blah, blah, data".

Moving the knock sensor is NOT one of those "fixes" Can one of you genius IQ'd pin heads please explain why when the sensor is moved the Code 52 disappears???? I'm confused....?? :roll:

I'm not frustrated with you all... just with myself.. I can't figure out this thing? .... just in case I ever get a Code 52!! :think:

I'm no electrical genious. I will be the first to admit it. I DO, however, understand how the knock circuit works, and what will and won't cause code 52. Even a different bend in the wire (if it has a potential bad spot in it) will stop the code from popping up, until it shorts again.

Here are pages directly from the Toyota.

Originally Posted by logmont (Post 51478298)
I am very close to trying to bypass the knk sensor with a resistor. I have replaced EVERY part/wire in the knk circuit, and am about to throw my hands in the air.

And as for this: it will not work. Think about it- if shorting the ground to the signal wire causes code 52, then so will putting a resistor between the signal and ground wire. All a resistor does is reduce the voltage flow between the two terminals. Even still, you're still shorting signal to ground, which would cause code 52...