Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

clutch/tranny issue

Old 03-13-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch/tranny issue

The other night on my way home from work my truck started acting weird...

When i took off from a stop light, i put it in 1st and took my foot off the brake (with the clutch pedal still down) my truck took off before i pressed the gas pedal. I tried tapped the brake and the truck seemed to over power the brakes, so i pulled on the shifter and couldn't get it out of gear. I quickly pulled off in the median, shut the truck off. With the truck off i could put it in neutral. I started the truck up and everything was normal again....

Later that night i had to run to the grocery store... i backed out of the driveway just fine, then when i put it in 1st the samething happened. i pulled back in the driveway and checked a couple of things, made sure there was fluid in the master, checked for leaks.. nothing... i got back in the truck and this time it took off in reverse..

The next night i replaced the slave cyl. and bled the system. The old slave was froze at first, and after messing with it i got it to move like it should. I thought i was good...

Started the truck up and nothing changed. Now i can't put it in gear unless the engine is off. The clutch pedal feels normal, and up until that night it happened the truck was driving fine.

The slave fork appears to be moving correctly..

I have no clue where to start. i cant drive the truck this way and it's the only thing i have right now

Last edited by mattaway; 03-13-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:50 PM

I think when the truck takes off with the pedal still down that means the clutch could be slipping. I'm not positive though. How many miles on the clutch and pressure plate?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Try replacing the clutch master cylinder, its a cheap part to replace, and if that doesn`t solve the problem then you will have to pull the trans and check the clutch.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:57 PM

The clutch is a little over a year old, maybe 15 months at the most. My odometer doesn't work so i can't tell you exact mileage, but i would say no more than 15k.

I'll replace the master this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming...
Old 03-13-2010, 03:49 PM

I would definitely start with the master. I've put in a few defective pressure plates that will cause this, but that's straight out of the box. I don't see your pressure plate taking a crap all of a sudden unless it snapped a bunch of the fingers off
Old 03-13-2010, 05:44 PM

I guess anything is possible.... but it seemed like it just happened out of nowhere, i didn't hear or feel anything funny right before it started this.

I'm getting a master tomorrow and see if that does anything.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:16 AM

I put the new master in today and bled the system.

Nothing changed.

With the engine off the tranny goes into any gear no problem, as soon as you start it up and try to put it in gear it won't go in to any gear.. as if you weren't pressing the clutch pedal.

When my buddy was pumping the clutch and I was under the truck at the slave bleeder screw the slave fork and slave appeared to be working properly.

I wonder if the clutch is sticking? Or is the clutch disc just worn out? I don't want to tear it down, i'm moving tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:41 PM

If the clutch disk was worn out it would engage each gear fine, it would just slip when you would go to take off in gear. I'm sorry to say this, but i'm thinking your gonna have to drop that tranny to figure this problem out. Do you have another truck you could compare the clutch fork movement to? I would think as long as it moves a descent amount, it should be disengaging but who knows?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 PM

Turned out to be the clutch...

The clutch disc on the pressure plate side was worn out and the flywheel had some heat cracks on it.

Got a clutch kit, new flywheel, new master and slave and adjusted the pedal and she's on the road again