Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

cigarette lighter install question.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cigarette lighter install question.

So I just installed a cigarette lighter in the back of my center console for my back seat passengers and it has a positive and ground wire I know to ground the black wire to metal but the red wire I know goes to 12 volt positive but should I run it to the battery with a fuse or to the fuse box with 12v ignition so it only works with the key on and if I do run it to the fuse box which fuse should I tap into and finally what size fuse should I use ? Any info would greatly be appreciated !! Thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 12:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

No instructions ??

It does not tell you ??

How ever you want to do it..

Might be easier to run off the battery just depends on what you like.

If you tap into a existing circuit it needs to have a high enough capacity to handle your new lighter.

Is this going to be used as a lighter(heating element) or as a low output power port??

Big difference in current needs.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
No instructions ??

It does not tell you ??

How ever you want to do it..

Might be easier to run off the battery just depends on what you like.

If you tap into a existing circuit it needs to have a high enough capacity to handle your new lighter.

Is this going to be used as a lighter(heating element) or as a low output power port??

Big difference in current needs.
No instructions bought this a couple years ago and lost it , basically gonna use it as power port , but I think I'm gonna run it off the battery , any idea what amp fuse I should use ??
Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
The stock "cig" fuse is 15a. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../2powersou.pdf For a fuse that large, I would recommend no less than 14ga wire. It is on the "accessory" side of the ignition switch; you have to turn the key for the lighter to work.

But as Wyoming9 says, it all depends on whether you are going to run a real "cigarette lighter" back there, or just a video player. The video player will be happy with 2a, and a 15a fuse won't provide much protection to the player. You might want to be able to run the player with the key off, but you don't want a "real" cigarette lighter powered all the time.

(I know someone who had a flashing-yellow magnetic-mount light plugged into an always-on power port. It was sitting on the floor, and ended up covered with shirts headed to the cleaners. Somehow the switch got "bumped" to "on." While he was sitting in his office, the now-on light ignited the shirts, and destroyed the Tahoe. )
Old 10-16-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by scope103
The stock "cig" fuse is 15a. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b.../2powersou.pdf For a fuse that large, I would recommend no less than 14ga wire. It is on the "accessory" side of the ignition switch; you have to turn the key for the lighter to work.

But as Wyoming9 says, it all depends on whether you are going to run a real "cigarette lighter" back there, or just a video player. The video player will be happy with 2a, and a 15a fuse won't provide much protection to the player. You might want to be able to run the player with the key off, but you don't want a "real" cigarette lighter powered all the time.

(I know someone who had a flashing-yellow magnetic-mount light plugged into an always-on power port. It was sitting on the floor, and ended up covered with shirts headed to the cleaners. Somehow the switch got "bumped" to "on." While he was sitting in his office, the now-on light ignited the shirts, and destroyed the Tahoe. )
👍 thanks for the info but a little confused you said a 15a fuse won't provide much protection for a player but a 2a will ? I thought a 2a fuse will blow before a 15a will or is that what you mean that 2a fuse will give first providing protection sooner ? If that's the case anything smaller then a 15a will do and I have never seen a 2a fuse think smallest I've seen is a 5a ?
Old 10-16-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
fuses protect things from drawing TOO MUCH current. If your video player got wet (for instance) and started pulling 14a, your cig fuse would not blow but the player would catch on fire. So, many items like that have their own fuse (built into the plug often.) Often a 3AG glass fuse, which is available down to less than 1/4 amp.

A plain ole' automotive ATO regular fuse IS available down to 1/2 amp, but they're not common.

For you, you just have to think about what you want to use that new power outlet for. If you want people smoking in your back seat, you probably need a 15a and wiring big enough. If not, just look at the ratings of your biggest items (you'll need a fuse at least 25% larger -- if you want to deliver 6a continuously, you need a 7.5a fuse).
Old 10-16-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by scope103
fuses protect things from drawing TOO MUCH current. If your video player got wet (for instance) and started pulling 14a, your cig fuse would not blow but the player would catch on fire. So, many items like that have their own fuse (built into the plug often.) Often a 3AG glass fuse, which is available down to less than 1/4 amp.

A plain ole' automotive ATO regular fuse IS available down to 1/2 amp, but they're not common.

For you, you just have to think about what you want to use that new power outlet for. If you want people smoking in your back seat, you probably need a 15a and wiring big enough. If not, just look at the ratings of your biggest items (you'll need a fuse at least 25% larger -- if you want to deliver 6a continuously, you need a 7.5a fuse).
👍 thanks for the info mostly installed the outlet for cell phones and cell charger but the Occational lighter to light up would be nice too so I guess a 15 amp fuse will do oh and I'm currently using a 18g wire think I'm gonna switch it to 14g wire. Thanks for the info.