86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Checklist for an Auto to Manual Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Checklist for an Auto to Manual Swap

First off, I've done my share of searching around the forums and for some reason I just can't find a definitive kind of list of what I need to grab and this is a semi time sensitive thing and that's why I'm making the post, now onto the post itself! I did also find this thread and have been just using it as essentially my study guide so I did do some research and I know what to do from this thread but I'm still fuzzy on areas

Right now I have an A340H in my 87 4Runner it's a semi piece of junk, and I didn't want to invest time or money into something I didn't really want in the first place. I've been keeping my eyes open for a manual trans and transfer case so I can swap in and luck would have just found out my local pick a part got another 87 4Runner in today! I am running in first thing tomorrow when it opens to grab the W56-B tranny and every possible thing I can use because in my area you just can't seem to find 1st gen 4Runners or parts for them anywhere. I am trying to compile a list of what I need to grab to make it work properly.
Here are some big questions along with just a general list:
1) Based on what I've read you my old ECU should work fine, am I right or is it worth just getting it out of the one there
2) I plan on grabbing the gauge cluster because things like the ECT will be pointless, should all of the connectors be good between a swap?
3) I know I have to do some fiddling with my neutral safety switch, but I don't know definitively where I would need to jump the wires. What I've heard is there is a connector under the intake plenum where you do it
4) I see a back up light switch on the manual transmission diagrams do I need to get something else on it for this to work?
5) I've heard about a dash pot to help between shifts, did this come standard on manual transmission Toyotas and will it bolt right up to my engine?
6) I also have heard about a clutch safety start cancel switch what does this even do, is this essential, should I even attempt to hook it up, or is it better to just do without it
7) I also am guessing I will have to get the clutch fluid cylinder and I've heard that I need to just bend the lines myself and drill out the holes for it if I'm correct
8) Should I take the radiator for the trans cooler lines?

Also any help and advice is really appreciated, sorry if this is clogging up the forums everybody just thank you really for any help or tips and tricks for this
Old 04-05-2018, 09:55 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by DIRT8IKE
First off, I've done my share of searching around the forums and for some reason I just can't find a definitive kind of list of what I need to grab and this is a semi time sensitive thing and that's why I'm making the post, now onto the post itself! I did also find this thread and have been just using it as essentially my study guide so I did do some research and I know what to do from this thread but I'm still fuzzy on areas

Right now I have an A340H in my 87 4Runner it's a semi piece of junk, and I didn't want to invest time or money into something I didn't really want in the first place. I've been keeping my eyes open for a manual trans and transfer case so I can swap in and luck would have just found out my local pick a part got another 87 4Runner in today! I am running in first thing tomorrow when it opens to grab the W56-B tranny and every possible thing I can use because in my area you just can't seem to find 1st gen 4Runners or parts for them anywhere. I am trying to compile a list of what I need to grab to make it work properly.
Here are some big questions along with just a general list:
1) Based on what I've read you my old ECU should work fine, am I right or is it worth just getting it out of the one there
2) I plan on grabbing the gauge cluster because things like the ECT will be pointless, should all of the connectors be good between a swap?
3) I know I have to do some fiddling with my neutral safety switch, but I don't know definitively where I would need to jump the wires. What I've heard is there is a connector under the intake plenum where you do it
4) I see a back up light switch on the manual transmission diagrams do I need to get something else on it for this to work?
5) I've heard about a dash pot to help between shifts, did this come standard on manual transmission Toyotas and will it bolt right up to my engine?
6) I also have heard about a clutch safety start cancel switch what does this even do, is this essential, should I even attempt to hook it up, or is it better to just do without it
7) I also am guessing I will have to get the clutch fluid cylinder and I've heard that I need to just bend the lines myself and drill out the holes for it if I'm correct
8) Should I take the radiator for the trans cooler lines?

Also any help and advice is really appreciated, sorry if this is clogging up the forums everybody just thank you really for any help or tips and tricks for this
1, only if you intend to convert the cab harness to a manual transmission one.
2, see number one. No reason to buy a new cluster.
3, its in the access panel on the right side near the starter. I don't know the pins off hand, consult the FSM.
4, pretty sure these are both simple ground or continuity switch, without looking it up, again wire details in FSM.
5, yes they all had them.
6, search is your friend, let's you crawl over rocks with the starter motor while engine off. Ect
7, you need all of the clutch system, and yes probably easier to form new lines.
8, a340 used a radiator based cooler already. Yours is gone and been replaced?

If I recall correctly the shafts are different lengths, measure what you have write it down and toss a tape measure in the tool kit.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:19 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The easy if possible is buy a complete 5 speed vehicle get it home sitting right there.

The time and Frustration it saves is well worth it .

It is always the little stuff that takes so many trips
Old 04-06-2018, 03:44 AM

Would love to just buy the whole thing and take it home to work in a more familiar environment, but pretty sure the yard won't let us do that so I have to work with what I got right now, and grab every possible thing I can use before everybody else!

And Co_94 I still have my radiator and everything for the auto in my truck nothing's been unbolted from mine yet, right now my plan is grab everything so I have it for when I have time for the swap and I thought I read somewhere about that the manual won't reuse those lines on the radiator when I swap it in, but I think I read that I can safely just plug those holes and not worry about it. Sorry that was my blunder there! And noted on the driveshafts I'll do some comparisons before I have myself a Class-A nightmare
Old 04-06-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just completed this swap. Couple tips. Get the clutch hard line and brackets (upper and lower)and pedal assembly off a donor truck along with the drive shaft, you need a longer rear shaft since the tranny is shorter.

Your ecu works fine but the od light blinks all of the time so unplug that light from the cluster.

Check your auto to see if you have a manual cable speedo or electronic sending unit. I have cable on mine and The donor had electric vss. The auto speedo gear unit didn't fit the manual one so I had to go buy it from the dealer but I am also running a 4.7:1 low range geared tcase off the back of mine so that might no be an issue if you keep the chain driven case.

Buy the marlin throwout bearing (genuine Toyota) Most of the aftermarket ones are 1/4 shorter and shifting into first you have to mash it to the floor to get it in gear. No idea why they do this but ask me how I know. I recommend his whole clutch and fly wheel he even has the right fly wheel bolts and pressure plate bolts. The flywheel bolts come with the factory locktite on the threads, whatever you use make sure you have lock tire on them.

You will need to drill the firewall for the clutch master cylinder but if you install the pedal assy first you will have a template to drill to takes out the guess work.

There is a wire that goes from your starter solenoid to the large transmission plug it was black w/yellow stripe on mine but I have heard it can be black w/white stripe. There is a plain black wire next to it on the tranny plug. They are larger than the rest of the wires on the plug. This is your park/neutral safety switch. You can't start the truck unless out cut and splice those two wires. I recommend using the neutral safety switch here in line because the car will turn over in gear with the clutch out which can be dangerous.

There aren't cooler lines on a manual tranny

Last edited by Yotard; 04-06-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:16 PM

Alright awesome! That's really helpful thank you for giving me a bit of an idea of what I have to face here! Today we grabbed a bunch of stuff. First thing we noticed is that within the timespan of it arriving yesterday and us getting there first thing this morning the entire engine was completely gone already so that just proves the scarcity of where I'm at, however was able to get the tranny and transfer case and a bunch of other odds and ends, no flywheel or clutch, and what is frustrating as ever is the pick a part people moved it with a forklift so they ruined both of the drive shafts which we get to figure out! All in all a good haul and here are the fruits of our labor

Old 04-07-2018, 01:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

To bad your on the other side of the country .

I have a Truck going to the scrap yard here in a few weeks that has all the goodies you would need.

Can`t give the poor truck away
Old 04-07-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Can`t give the poor truck away
Haha sounds like my luck, well that's life for you!