86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Check Engine Light. auto 4x4 93 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Check Engine Light. auto 4x4 93 4runner

Hi everyone.....I´m gonna start to tell how the problem begin.

2 weeks ago I was going to the country. some place 3 hours far from the city. On the highway on a light hill but really long i was on second speed and a little slow cuz it was rainning a little, and the light come on the fist time. (new motor on it 2 years ago, no more than 10000 miles). I stop check all oils OK, water OK, keep on going a little more, scary than can be something bad, I stop again and put some more oil on the engine, when i get to the place i was going I was take out the batt cuz I don´t know how is that with the paperclip. Sooo.... I take the batt out to see if the light will came up again. Nothing. I return to the city all good, to mention that I never fell nothing bat with the engine.

I take the car to wash and have oils change. The day after the car just die with out a light warnning It starts ok at the moment, move some more meters and die again, pull the car to a side of the road and star checking, looks like no gas coming but I found an vacum tube unplug, plug it again and start just fine, Im allmost sure that was when they clean the engine with preasure water. (never again).

Yesterday I when back to the place out of the country. ALL GO!!! coming back today IT WAS RAINNING ALOT!!!!!! all the way back, Im talking less than half of a football field of visibility on a road. the trip is 3 hours standart time, it took me 5 and a half cuz the rain, close to home the engine light came on again, I stop to check everything just FINE, batt out and on again and get home.

I need if someone can tell me how to read the codes with the paperclip, i have search everybody say the paperclip trick but could´t find how to do it......
SO PLEASE!!!!

I need to check what is the problem cuz in 7 days im going to the mountains and spend 6 days on a rainny mountain out of any mechanical but the little I know. So if the code is some I can change fast or a little problem I will go if not I´m thinking the mountain will have to wait.

I´m running with a bypass thermostat, never give me problems before on other long trips.

Any other Ideas wath could be, suggestion. Please letme know.

THAKS ALL
Old 06-26-2010, 09:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
To check for codes remove the cover from the diagnostic connector under the hood. It is near the fuse box. Jumper TE1 and E1. Turn ignition ON. The CEL will blink the codes.

There will be a short pause between the two digits of the code, a slightly longer pause between codes, then a long (4 second I think) pause before it starts over.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by az4x4runner
To check for codes remove the cover from the diagnostic connector under the hood. It is near the fuse box. Jumper TE1 and E1. Turn ignition ON. The CEL will blink the codes.

There will be a short pause between the two digits of the code, a slightly longer pause between codes, then a long (4 second I think) pause before it starts over.
Thanks alot!!! I have read that if I take the batt of the code will erase, if that true..........if it is true i the only option is to wait until the light came on again?

Thanks again.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
You don't need to disconnect the battery, just pull the EFI fuse under the hood to reset to codes, that way you don't have to reset your clock and stereo each time. You will have to wait until the CEL comes on again to read the code.

Here is the FSM page describing howto check for codes, it has a list of what the codes mean toward the bottom.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...85diagnosi.pdf
Old 06-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by az4x4runner
You don't need to disconnect the battery, just pull the EFI fuse under the hood to reset to codes, that way you don't have to reset your clock and stereo each time. You will have to wait until the CEL comes on again to read the code.

Here is the FSM page describing howto check for codes, it has a list of what the codes mean toward the bottom.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/engine/85diagnosi.pdf

Thanks again.

I have need think I will say that I want that that light come on before the trip.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:27 PM

Other question and scanner will read the code or is the same, I have to wait till it comes on?
Old 06-26-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
When you pull the battery or the main fuse, you've disconnected the power source. The ECU diagnostic system works in the same way the clock on the radio works. Remove the power source and you've erased the stored memory........meaning you've erased the stored code. But, in your favor, the problem will most likely occur again and the ECU diagnostics will detect it. Take it for another drive staying close by the home. Or, have a friend follow you.

As well, read this...
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h27.pdf
Old 11-09-2011, 10:11 AM

So in order to reset the check engine light off I took both the efi fuse off plus battery but check engine light still come on after I drive it for a while I'll say about 15min driving it come back again. Please help where is the ecu/computer located at so I xan at least disconnect it too see if that help. Thanks in advance
Old 11-09-2011, 10:19 AM

You only need to pull the EFI fuse under the hood and leave it out for 30-60 seconds. The check engine light is coming on because something is wrong so resetting it is obviously doing nothing. Pull the codes:

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...26diagnosi.pdf