Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

check engine light??

Old 02-06-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
check engine light??

I have a 86 turbo 4runner and it has a weird problem with the check engine light. When I turn the key to the "on" position all the dash lights light up except the check engine light. When this happens the engine won't start. It'll turn over but not start. If I leave the key on the "on" position for about 5minutes or less the light will come on and then I can start it up with no problem. *Please keep in mind that this problem doesn't happen all the time*

I did some modifications like: 5spd conversion, pulled out the thermostat, disconnected the intank fuel pump, installed a 255lph msd inline fuel pump, msd blaster coil, boost gauge, blow off valve. I don't know if these mods made the problem but I figure I mention it.

Can anyone help me?? Has anyone come across this problem before?? PLEASE HELP A FELLOW TOYOTA LOVER OUT. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited by turbo_Runner; 02-07-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
stop double, triple and now quadruple posting, please. i've sent you 2 PMs now.

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 02-07-2006 at 12:19 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
stop double, triple and now quadruple posting, please. i've sent you 2 PMs now.
Sorry, I just really need the help.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

More people will decide to ignore you that way, just sayin'.

About your problem, it could be electrical. I am assuming when it doesn't start, it doesn't turn over at all, nothing?
Old 02-07-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turbo_Runner
Sorry, I just really need the help.

turbo,

its 130am PST! 99% of the members are asleep right now! like i said, wait until the morning. the guys will answer your questions. also, have you searched at all? if youre still up, might as well do some investigating on your own.

bob
Old 02-07-2006, 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
turbo,

its 130am PST! 99% of the members are asleep right now! like i said, wait until the morning. the guys will answer your questions. also, have you searched at all? if youre still up, might as well do some investigating on your own.

bob
bob,

Just did a search and found nothing. Although I did find a couple of interesting threads that was somewhat similar to my problem. Anyways i'll wait til the morning and see if anyone replied to my post. By the way this forum is bad ass, I saw some interesting/helpful threads. Wish I came here earlier. Keep up the good work guy's.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:52 AM

:cry:
Old 02-08-2006, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it sounds like the ECM is not getting power when the light doesn't come on, the main EFI relay supplies power to the ECM, if it is going bad it could cause the symptoms that you describe, the relay is located on the fuse panel to the left of the clutch pedal, there should be two relays on the panel one is the EFI relay and i cant remember what the other one is for, anyway, next time it does this, switch the two relays around and see if it fixes the problem, if so then you need a new relay, if not, then you need to do more investigating, but this is an easy and fast way to narrow it down, good luck
Old 02-09-2006, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by superjoe83
it sounds like the ECM is not getting power when the light doesn't come on, the main EFI relay supplies power to the ECM, if it is going bad it could cause the symptoms that you describe, the relay is located on the fuse panel to the left of the clutch pedal, there should be two relays on the panel one is the EFI relay and i cant remember what the other one is for, anyway, next time it does this, switch the two relays around and see if it fixes the problem, if so then you need a new relay, if not, then you need to do more investigating, but this is an easy and fast way to narrow it down, good luck
About the efi main relay. Does it suppose to come pretty hot??
Old 02-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turbo_Runner
About the efi main relay. Does it suppose to come pretty hot??
it may get warm when its been on for awhile, but not hot enough that you cant hold your finger on it
Old 02-11-2006, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by superjoe83
Wassup superjoe83,

I read your post and I was thinking "cannot be the relay becuse the cel still would come on no matter what". So I said to myself "try it anyway". So I turned on the key and no cel. Just when I was trying to pull it out, the cel would flicker off and on. I was like WTF!?! Oh man I was so happy to finally find out what the problem was. I was about to go and buy another ECM. Thank god I didn't lol. Or should I say Thanks to you I didn't.