Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Changing Aluminum housing key cylinder? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Changing Aluminum housing key cylinder? Help!

Has anyone changed one of these. Its the aluminum housing that holds the ignition key cylinder. It seems to run over and mount to the column. With shear bolts? Not sure how to tackle the job.
I have a 94 4runner V6 a/t sr5.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

It is sometimes possible to cut a straight slot and screw them out.

another way is to drill the heads off then remove the housing remove the bolts install your new housing .

Why do you need to change it?? Labor wise it would be easier to just change the whole column .
Old 05-26-2012, 12:39 AM

Is there any steering lock linkage associated with the housing on the column?

I've actually looked into finding a used column but never the exact one I need.

The PO or someone mangled the cylinder housing so I can't use a key. I use a screw driver to the harness switch. No biggy but it would be cleaner with it all correct.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Labor wise it would be easier to just change the whole column .

x2 on what wyoming9 said there. If you're going to change the whole aluminum housing that holds the lock cylinder, you would need to pull the whole column out of the truck to get at the housing. But if all you need is a new lock cylinder, you can get that out with the column in the truck. Check out my thread here and hopefully it answers some questions for you:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ck-cyl-240529/
Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by daved5150
Labor wise it would be easier to just change the whole column .

x2 on what wyoming9 said there. If you're going to change the whole aluminum housing that holds the lock cylinder, you would need to pull the whole column out of the truck to get at the housing. But if all you need is a new lock cylinder, you can get that out with the column in the truck. Check out my thread here and hopefully it answers some questions for you:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ck-cyl-240529/
So when you pull the aluminum housing off the column is there steering lock linkage in the aluminum assembly?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
why not just replace the cylinder and key ? you dont have to remove the housing to do this

Old 05-27-2012, 06:14 PM

Ok, I'll make it easy for you...since it doesn't appear you read my thread and you posted no pics, is this what you are looking to replace? These are pics of when I did my tilt steering column swap into my 94 4Runner. You can replace the lock cylinder while the steering column is in the vehicle. All you have to do is this: (from my thread link above)

I found out yesterday that my friend just misplaced the only key to the 95 4runner. I still want that tilt column. I'll keep you guys informed on what I do. Worse case here, I'll have to drill out the lock cylinder in the assembly and put mine in. I'll let you dudes know what happens.

Today after work, approx. 0800 am EST, I went to see my friend's 95 4Runner. He still hasn't found the key. That's okay because after further study here at Yotatech in Yotatechnology, I just found out that you can drill out the little pin on the bottom of the assembly that holds the cylinder in instead of having to drill out the whole cylinder:

From DeathCougar: "If its like the older toyotas, you will need to get it to turn to the "Acc" position to remove the lock cylinder. If it won't turn, you will need to drill the brass colored pin to take it out."

From wyoming9: "Easy fix drill out the pin holding the lock cylinder in.

Replace your done"

From NorCalVP: "What about drilling the small pin on the bottom that holds the Cyl in place? Usually once you have the key into the ACC position the pin goes inside the Cyl and the whole thing slides out. Just drill out that small pin, you'd have to get a new Cyl for it though..."

From headcase: "Yeah, that will work. If it were me I would drill out the pin and pull the cylinder now and worry about getting a replacement cylinder when I got home. At least that way you aren't stuck waiting for parts and you can actually use your vehicle."

And shazaam's advice: "one step ahead of you .. I just got off the phone with a used parts guy in NY. He's going to send me a new lock cyl .. he said basically to drill out the old lock .. but not to damage the case housing its inside. drilling the pin would work .. but since I'm replacing the lock cylinder anyway, I don't want to risk damaging the metal casing." This is definitely more work than drilling out that pin.

Thanks for the valuable insight, gentleman. I just have to make sure my 18 volt batteries are charged and ready for my cordless drill. I will take pix for you guys who are interested in doing this because I was in your shoes not that long ago before I became enlightened here at Yotatech for this swap.

Keep your fingers crossed...

Today I pulled the the tilt column out of my friend's 4runner. I pulled the whole unit out with the lock cylinder assembly still attached to the column. I took all kinds of pictures that I will post when the swap is complete. I had to drill out the pin of the ign. lock cylinder because my bud lost his key. If you have to do this, it is best to leave the column in the truck so the assembly will be not move when you are drilling. And get ready, because the pin spins when you drill it. It takes awhile. Be patient. Between using a nailset w/hammer and a drill, I got it out. I was fairly careful with the pin so I didn't enlarge the hole in the bottom of the assembly. It appears that both assemblies are the same except for a black box that has a plug that is on the tilt column. The non tilt has the same mounting point where the black box goes but it is not threaded for the screws that hold it to the assembly. I am going to try to plug in the ignition switch from the tilt column into my truck with the extra plug hanging and see if it works. If it does, I won't have to remove my assembly and put it on the tilt column. I'll just put my lock cylinder in the tilt assembly. I will take pix of the two columns next to each other so everyone can see. I will finish the job at home.

Or if you can find a new column w/ key for cheap, than replace the whole column.

Or if you still want to pull the whole upper bracket (what it's called in the FSM) with the lock cylinder in it, then read this:

Very easy swap. The hardest part is getting the cylinder lock assembly that is bolted to the column off because it uses "headless" bolt and actually is very easy to take them off. Just use a 12 point socket and a hammer and wack them on then put pressure on the top of the ratchet while unscrewing them so the socket does not fall off.

There you go, spoon fed to what I hope is the answer to your question. Yes, the key cylinder somehow locks the column in place when it's in the "OFF" position. Replace your damaged key cylinder with a working one with a key and your troubles should be over. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails Changing Aluminum housing key cylinder? Help!-phpmpht4fpm.jpg   Changing Aluminum housing key cylinder? Help!-phpuuuejhpm.jpg   Changing Aluminum housing key cylinder? Help!-phpqrddfipm.jpg  
Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by slacker
why not just replace the cylinder and key ? you dont have to remove the housing to do this

The aluminum housing is wasted.

I guess I'm hunt for a column.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:56 AM

Yea dude, believe me, it would be WAYYY easier to swap the whole column than have to screw with those bolts that hold the housing to the column. You have to pull the column anyways to get to the housing....get a column and save yourself the aggravation.