86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chance to buy 2nd gen SAS 4runner - requesting some experienced thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chance to buy 2nd gen SAS 4runner - requesting some experienced thoughts

First of all, mods if this is in the wrong forum, my apologies!

I have the chance to purchase a '90 4runner with several mods, which are as follows:

SAS from mini truck axle, FZJ80 high pinion 3rd member
custom high steer
63" chevy springs in the back
custom bumpers and sliders
Detroit locker in rear
33s A/Ts

Specs (as listed in ad) - 22re (rebuilt), 5 speed, 240k, clean

I checked the truck out yesterday and here were some of the things I noticed -

It said SR5 V6 on the gate (engine swap?)
279K on body, not 240k
cracked windshield
broken latch/lock on rear tire carrier
oil spill/stain in back trunk area
transfer case rear output seal leaking
oil or trans leak (couldn't quite tell, but didn't have the gear oil 'smell')
front knuckle seals both leaking
high steer linkage bolt rubber seals (?) all cracked
dome + cabin + hazard lights all non-working
radio (aftermarket) non working
vibration in rear end at/near highway speeds
shock hoop in SAS broken and re-welded (one still has small crack that wasn't totally repaired)

Price seemed good at 3.5k, but the discrepancy btw the 22re and v6 label scared me a bit. Also the mileage discrepancy. Said it was rebuilt about 40k ago when he got it, but nothing was mentioned about a 3vz to 22re swap. I'm seeing if I can get the VIN to check on original equipment.

The body and frame were both clean and extremely little rust. Very little body damage. Other than the engine mystery, good bones. The SAS was a little rough, with the cut jobs not cleaned up and the rewelding of the hoops. Another kind of interesting thing is when we were test driving it (I was in passenger seat) and we were up at 60-70, I look and noticed (I'm pretty sure!) that we were in 4H and not 2wd. I think he thought that he put it in 2wd but did not and I asked about it once but he again thought he was in 2 so I didn't want to harp. So...how bad is that on the gears?

I haven't had a lot of experience looking at these trucks, so I'm hoping to glean some more information from other much more experienced members! Very open to learn! What would you be looking for on a 4runner like this? What would be your deal breaker?

If I can find more info on the motor I'll try and post it up.

Thanks for your thoughts guys!

Last edited by Red Leader; 02-12-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
The actual squawk list you've given isn't horrible for an old truck. None of those things are huge deals to fix - just takes time, and the sheer number of them will add up. My bigger concern would be that the whole situation reeks of inattention to maintenance and just letting things slide. Because of that I would worry more about what I can't see than what I can. Also, if the owner doesn't know the difference between 4wd and 2wd, that's another red flag. If the hubs were unlocked it's not too likely that the gears are hurt, as long as the driveline wasn't vibrating (but you say it is) and the diff had oil in it. I just worry about the overall level of competence of the current owner, and his lack of attention to detail. (wrong mileage, engine doesn't match body, sloppy welds, etc.).

I guess I would pass, myself. Mods can be desirable on a truck, but if done by someone who doesn't know or care what they're doing, I'd feel uneasy.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
I don't mess with ghetto booty garage fab. The only way I'd buy an SAS'd truck is if it can be aligned, and drive straight on the freeway 80+ mph. or part it out.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would have a hard time buying any modded truck. For one, you don't know the quality of the work, or what has taken place since the mods. As for the list of issues, the tailgate could just be a replacement and the original was messed up, everything else could fall in line with a 23 y.o. rig. Some time replacing fuses and seals and what not, most of that should be cleared up...But unless you can vouch for the quality of the work on the SAS and rear leaf conversion, I'd pass.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:06 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
sounds like they did a SAS in a driveway with a little 110v flux welder and an angle grinder, lol. This guy doesn't know some basic info on the rig. I would run, not walk away. Unless this rig had other goodies that make the sale worth it at that price (like dual cases, gears and lockers, etc), I would keep looking. For a nicely build SAS rig, you're looking at around double price what this guy is asking.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I thought your list was a bunch of maintenance things that never got done.

Your Comments on the poor quality of the SAS would be enough for me to walk away at that price.

Offer no more then $1500.00 knowing going in you have your work cut out no shop and no skills pass this one up.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:44 PM

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

One of the reasons why I was looking specifically for the SAS (beyond just the more off-road capabilities) was the fact that I wouldn't have to worry about the ball joints. We have a 3rd gen and the ball joint failure is always in the back of my mind.

To be honest, I actually haven't really heard of any ball joint failures in the 2nd gens, but maybe I just haven't done enough research - when looking at diagrams, they look very similar in design.

That being said, perhaps the best course of action is to find a clean 2nd gen and build it up as I learn the truck and what I need and don't need. Again, here in CO, 4runner command high prices, so the 3.5K SAS runner was appealing given the fact that you seen plenty of 2k-2.5k 4runners with the same wear/tear. However, if I have an SAS, I would want it done right.

Have you guys heard anything about any ball joint issues (other than IFS probs w/ hard wheeling) in the 2nd gens like there have been in the 3rd gens?

Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
Old 02-12-2014, 01:52 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I can only comment based on personal experience with my truck. It has 193K miles, never had ball joints replaced or adjusted. A month ago I jacked up the front end and checked for front end play in every direction, and it was solid as can be. Tires still wear uniformly and it tracks perfectly straight on the highway, no wandering or looseness. I don't wheel it real hard (no jumping, etc.), but it has seen its share of rough roads.

The only front-end work it has seen in the last 70,000 miles since I've had it is the relay rod recall (included an alignment), new idler arm bushings, and new shocks.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
2nd gen 4runners don't have the BJ failure issue that the Tacoma/3rd gen 4runners have. I'm not sure on this, but I think it's because of the coil suspension vs torsion bars. The coils are constantly pushing down on the LCA, which makes the BJ want to separate. Also if you bottom out your coils frequently, they're really pushing on that LCA - couple all that force with a little bit of wear on the ball, and there's definitely the recipe for failure On the t-bar IFS, the UCA is the one with all the force and the LCA just kinda hangs out without any pressure trying to separate the two control arms.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 AM

So I checked the VIN and it checks out as a 2.4 22RE, so it is just the back gate or something else.

Also, not sure if I mentioned it, but the truck does have 5.29 gears and a Detroit locker in rear, LCE headers, comp cam, metal-backed timing chain, etc, and full bumpers/sliders all around, so it is well equipped. The engine possibly being a swapout was the biggest flag factor. The 39k mileage discrepancy though...hmmm....

Another 'runner popped up on the C/L, a clean '95 22RE with 219K for $2.9k, but no maintenance history.

EDIT: I just saw that there is a specific forum for asking about vehicle you are interested in buying w/ a 15 post minimum - dang, sorry about that! Although I appreciate the grace and I'll get to 15 in no time
Old 02-13-2014, 08:54 AM

Also, I have pictures of the SAS runner so you guys can see what I'm talking about in regard to the SAS, and the rest of the truck.

I'll try and throw some up after work.