86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can't get my seat to slide forward?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't get my seat to slide forward?

I have an 88 4runner and I think the cable broke that allows my passenger side fron seat to slide forward. Does anybody have any experience with this or know what exactly I need to do or get to make it work again? The seat will go forward, just won't slide. I hope that make sense. Thanks!!
Old 07-15-2007, 06:18 PM

The seat only goes forward to the access position, it does not have intermediate indents for adjustment. Bummer, huh?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also think the cable from the DR side to the PS side snapped.
Unbolt the seat, remove it, (or flip it up). Go to your local hardware store, they should have the correct gauge wire and parts to repair this. It shouldn't take that long either.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 89dlx
I also think the cable from the DR side to the PS side snapped.
Unbolt the seat, remove it, (or flip it up). Go to your local hardware store, they should have the correct gauge wire and parts to repair this. It shouldn't take that long either.
i think he has a 4runner with buckets? they only move forward when in the up position to unload rear passengers..

just pull the seat and check the cable.. i'm sure you will see if there is a problem..

Last edited by DudeBud; 07-15-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
My cable is intact but somhow one of the little peices that grab onto the teeth will not move enough (just happend) see if thats your problem.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:56 AM

I am going to pull the seat after work today to see wha the problem is. PLEASE keep the comments coming!! thanks
Old 07-16-2007, 03:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i have the same prob with my 88 runner i used some weed eater string to fix temp till i have extra money steelership 40 bucks and 3 dayes to get
Old 07-16-2007, 12:33 PM

ok, i found out the problem is the little lead ball at the end of the wire popped off (console side) and it is not allowing the slider to engage on the side by the console. I was trying to use plyers and put a split shot weight on the end of the wire but it keeps popping off. do you all have any other suggestions on how to fix this? It is hot as you know what out there and my patience is running thin. thanks guys.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
mine's broke too. the cable is tricky, its a Y setup basically, because the cable goes from the pedal to the left and right track. i haven't yet checked the price at toyota for a new cable because somehow i got mine to work by clamping some vice grips on the bar at the front of the seat, closer to the console. i can step on the pedal which slides it up a bit, then use the vice grips to twist the bar underneath and have it slide all the way forward. try that rig until you can fix the cable. they are practically non existent on ebay. if you wanna get crafty, braided bailing wire (or your old ten-speed's brake cables) and barrel connectors. hope you get it worked out
Old 07-16-2007, 04:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That ball is called a ferrule (I think). See what they have at a local bicycle shop. They use it on brake and shift cables.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:34 PM

the thing about it is i found out my wife and I are expecting so I really need to get it ready for a car seat back there and want it back to stock. 95% of the time we will have our child in the 07 Camry but every once in awhile I may need to use the 4runner. I can reach under the seat and unlatch the bar if needed but that gets to be a pain. i checked toyota and it looks like I may need to buy the whole seat. lol

I may try the vice grips thing. just buy a cheap set and leave it clamped under the seat. maybe that will work??
Old 07-16-2007, 07:00 PM

let me see if i can get pics 4 u of what i did
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
the blue string is from dr power equment walk behind weed eater u have to pinch the 2 prong lever
to hold the string tight and then through the side trim and back to the seat bolt
now flip the back of the seat ant tug on the string and the seat will slide .then push back as normal

Last edited by rebult junk; 07-16-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:02 AM

very nice, thanks!!
Old 07-17-2007, 03:10 AM

Your not reading 89DLX post. I have done this many times with the bicycle cable and its works as good as new. It's the same thing you will get from Toyota but only costs a buck or two.
Old 07-17-2007, 03:13 AM

no prob hope it helps
so far it has worked for a year or so

Last edited by rebult junk; 07-17-2007 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by willbeis
Your not reading 89DLX post. I have done this many times with the bicycle cable and its works as good as new. It's the same thing you will get from Toyota but only costs a buck or two.
I read it but I am not sure how to take the existing cable out. it Y's and I am not really sure/comfortable on how to take it out. i apologize and was not trying to ignore him but just wasn't sure. any clarification on how to replace the wire going to the console side? thanks!
Old 07-17-2007, 08:10 AM

take the seat out of the vehicle, turn it upside down and take a look at the cables.
The little black rectangular box that the 3 cables go into comes a part. It is one cable on one side and two cables on the other side. take it a part and you will see how it works inside.
Go to your local bicycle shop or even wal-Mart and buy a cable but make sure it has the Ferrel that screws on to the cable end.
take the old cable out measure with the new cable and cut the new cable to length. reassemble it and test it before you put the seat back in.
It is very easy to do.
Toyota wants $75 to do what I just told you including the cable.
You can do it with $2 cable and 30 minutes of your time.
I hope this helps
Old 07-17-2007, 01:22 PM

thanks, i will definitely check into this when I get some time.

that black piece didn't look as if it came apart though. I may need to look at it a bit longer.

Originally Posted by willbeis
take the seat out of the vehicle, turn it upside down and take a look at the cables.
The little black rectangular box that the 3 cables go into comes a part. It is one cable on one side and two cables on the other side. take it a part and you will see how it works inside.
Go to your local bicycle shop or even wal-Mart and buy a cable but make sure it has the Ferrel that screws on to the cable end.
take the old cable out measure with the new cable and cut the new cable to length. reassemble it and test it before you put the seat back in.
It is very easy to do.
Toyota wants $75 to do what I just told you including the cable.
You can do it with $2 cable and 30 minutes of your time.
I hope this helps
Old 11-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Replacement cable runs about $35 counting tax and shipping.

You can order it at: http://1toyotaparts.com/

Part number is: 72210-89105
Old 11-07-2008, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whitetaco02
ok, i found out the problem is the little lead ball at the end of the wire popped off (console side) and it is not allowing the slider to engage on the side by the console. I was trying to use plyers and put a split shot weight on the end of the wire but it keeps popping off. do you all have any other suggestions on how to fix this? It is hot as you know what out there and my patience is running thin. thanks guys.
I recently found out my pass. seat was the same, but it's the ball from the outer side. Plus the handle that extends to the front of the seat is broken off.

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by phildelfino; 11-07-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Can't get my seat to slide forward?