86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can A 3.0 be made fast

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can the 3.0 be made fast....I would actually like to qoute from another thread started by flyg, about his 3.0 power gains....
Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
So when did your 3.0 grow 0.4L in size, grow 12 more valves and 2 more camshafts? Whatever fertilizer you used, I want some...
...and there you have it.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:54 PM

I bet you could force a V10 into the engine bay, but your dash board would need modification.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:13 PM

for 8 grand why dont you just go buy a yamaha r1... blow the paint right off almost everything else, and keep your 4runner for the woods
Old 10-14-2006, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
an R-none? Me liki suzuki litre bike! lol
Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Greg_Canada
it was a 3vzfe... twin cam heads...
It wasn't a 3VZ. It looked like a 3VZ, similar to the camry design, but a racing 3 liter twin-turbo built by Yamaha/Toyota. My guess is it was for the Toyota Atlantic Series or some open racing. It has nothing to do with any Toyota motor that was ever put into a truck. It's just a 3.0 liter motor. Doesn't mean it was a 3VZ, which it was posted that it wasn't.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there are numerous ls1 carb kits out there now simple and reliable....than if you want to go fast turbo it....
Old 10-20-2006, 02:44 PM

If ya push it down a steep hill, then it will be fast.

Go with 3.4 SC or swap in a Chevrolet 305 engine, thus Chevota. Dont swap a Toyota engine into a Chevrolet, cause you'll have a Toylet.

One question though... Why r u in such a hurry?
Old 10-20-2006, 02:56 PM

hahahaha...a toylet. some of the funniest replies on the site
Old 10-21-2006, 12:57 AM

we will see... MonsterMaxx, Myself, and Supratehpeg are all pushing the limits of the 3vz-e platform in N/A right now. Supra and I both plan on going F/I later on. The biggest concern I have is first avoiding detonation, then running out a bearing. HG shouldnt be an issue...

MM is also having everything ceramic coated in his engine - THAT should be kinda cool!!

I havent done the legwork (or the research) yet, but I definately want to see if I can get prices from eagle and a few other companies for oem custom forged pistons. And after that who knows 10:1 cr for the NA guys w/forged H beam con rods....

But first and formost I want to do something to bump up the oil pressure....
Old 10-21-2006, 06:56 PM

I really want a V8 deisel. like a cummins or something. that ever been done?
Old 10-21-2006, 07:45 PM

Fast 3.0? Show me one. Its an engine that's been in production for nearly two decades and no one has yet made any mods for it that are reproducable to the general public at a price point that is even remotely feasible. Can you spend thousands at a race shop to get one done? Sure, but who the heck would want to. Other options are cheaper and better.

I'm still rooting for Bumpin', though. How's the project coming?

Ed
Old 10-21-2006, 10:10 PM

Either way, you're moving a 4000 plus pound truck with an engine that displaces 3 liters and is tuned like a truck engine with the torque down low. If they tuned it up like a car engine you might need to rev it more, but you might have gotten more HP out of it but it would lick down low which is where a truck should be. You're also talking about an engine that was the first V6 that Toyota ever produced. So there are a few things going against it. I think the 5 speed moves the truck fine with a stock engine as long as everything is tuned up properly.

The other thing to consider is when you do engine modifications, the more displacement you have, the more of a difference it will usually make. Why do you think Borla claims a "5% increase" with their Turbo Mufflers, accross the board. They make no mention of the type of engine or anything like that (as an example).

Everyone always has in the back of their mind the small displacement car engines that have all this horsepower. The 3vzfe comes to mind (3 liter, DOHC found in the Camry). Well first off, it's tuned as a car engine. Car engines have bigger bores, less stroke, often times, and so need to rev the crap out of it to get things moving and that's when they move good. Truck engines move things down low where torque is needed. Find me a 3 liter displacment engine that is tuned like a truck engine should be, that makes more horsepower and torque as the 3vze (and I'm talking similar technologies here, no DOHC, or VVT-i).
Old 10-22-2006, 05:34 AM

LOL, that's funny. Torque down low w/ the 3VZE. You are trying to make a joke right?
Old 10-22-2006, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Actually, mine does have good torque down low. With a manual tranny, I takeoff from stops at idle (750 rpm) all the time without slipping the clutch. Of course, I have a 5lb heavier flywheel.

But for wheeling, it's got plenty of torque without having enough to spin tires. I went to the field (western NM mountains) about 3 weeks ago after some serious flooding. We sampled a rancher's wells, using sandy washes for roads (no flaming about Tread Lightly guys, there were no roads and that's how these ranchers get back to their wells.) This rancher was pretty impressed with the '95 4Runner...enough torque to do the job without spinning and getting us stuck. Which is why he doesn't use his Dodge to get in and out.

The 3vze is a decent engine for wheeling. If you want fast, then you need to shave about 3000 lbs and make a homemade Lotus 7.

I'm still nursing my 3.0 along till grad school finishes. I take care of her and she gets me in and out of the field for my research (tough life). Never been stuck (lots of flooding this year, washouts, 1/4 mile mud pits). But, if she blows, there isn't any way I'm going to rebuild the 3vze and put it back in, especially for $10k.

I want a 1kz-t diesel.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:43 AM

The 3vze's torque curve is almost completely flat, so it has (arguably) plenty of torque down low when compared to what it delivers.

The aftermarket argument doesn't work with me. There are plenty of aftermarket pieces out there that deliver performance gains, but people discount that because it doesn't turn a 3.0 into a 300hp fire breathing, 30mpg powerhouse... I say... "so?" Doesn't mean you can't make a 200hp 3.0. It's been done... People just don't like the price point.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Gilly
I really want a V8 deisel. like a cummins or something. that ever been done?
hehe, the cummins is an I6, unless your refering to a 555 or something.. but the automotive ones are I6, and there is an I4 version too....
Old 10-22-2006, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
hehe, the cummins is an I6, unless your refering to a 555 or something.. but the automotive ones are I6, and there is an I4 version too....
I thought cummins only made inline engines?
I would like a 4BT under my engine bay though...

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
Actually, mine does have good torque down low. With a manual tranny, I takeoff from stops at idle (750 rpm) all the time without slipping the clutch. Of course, I have a 5lb heavier flywheel.

But for wheeling, it's got plenty of torque without having enough to spin tires. I went to the field (western NM mountains) about 3 weeks ago after some serious flooding. We sampled a rancher's wells, using sandy washes for roads (no flaming about Tread Lightly guys, there were no roads and that's how these ranchers get back to their wells.) This rancher was pretty impressed with the '95 4Runner...enough torque to do the job without spinning and getting us stuck. Which is why he doesn't use his Dodge to get in and out.

The 3vze is a decent engine for wheeling. If you want fast, then you need to shave about 3000 lbs and make a homemade Lotus 7.

I'm still nursing my 3.0 along till grad school finishes. I take care of her and she gets me in and out of the field for my research (tough life). Never been stuck (lots of flooding this year, washouts, 1/4 mile mud pits). But, if she blows, there isn't any way I'm going to rebuild the 3vze and put it back in, especially for $10k.

I want a 1kz-t diesel.
Where in the world do you get 10,000 for the cost of a rebuild 3vze??? lol

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-22-2006 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:05 PM
Banned

thought about a 2jz? for a 8 grand im sure you could easily get one and might not have the torque but sure could get 600hp out of it
Old 10-22-2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
I thought cummins only made inline engines?
I would like a 4BT under my engine bay though...
No they make some V8's, the tripple nickel, 555, and the 902 come to mind, but those are marine engines.. I cant think of any V8 land motors... but I am sure at one point or another they made one.

a 4BT would be a sweet motor..
Old 10-22-2006, 04:23 PM

I like a heavy vehicle for wheeling. I had a Scout II for years and after I sold it I tried for three years to find it and buy it back. The 4Runner is the only 4x4 I have owned that I had confidence in like my Scout. I don't even miss it anymore with the price of gas. I find I have all the power just where I need it. I am 3 miles from work and it is 35 mph until the last 1/4 mile. It will cruise fine up hills at 55, sometimes I use the button to cancel overdrive to keep from losing power. I guess it's all in what you use it for. I go down hunting roads, river trails, farm fields helping buddies, pull cars around the shop yard, etc.

If I want to go fast on the street I drive a street car. If want want to be secure in the fact that I will make it home safe and sound and without hassle after wheeling locked in for 3 or 4 hours, I will drive a Yota or a Scout.

4x4s I have owned/known intimately Bronco Full size '86 (me), Scout II '78(me), S-10 xcab short bed 4.3 '96(brother), Range Rover Town and Country '91(me), Land Rover Defender '89 Diesel special import from England crossed over to left hand drive(customer), (a total pos with a top speed of 42 mph!). Various Land Rover Discoveries (yuck), Various Jeeps, old and new,(no comment), Ford products, (again no comment needed).

Quick Reply: Can A 3.0 be made fast