86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can A 3.0 be made fast

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can A 3.0 be made fast

What do you guys think about the 3.2 3vze stroker on toyotaperformance.com Im looking at a new engine and swap possiblities. I have searched and it seems that the 3.4 is popular or the supra ones. give me you imput thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i wold rather have a supercharged 3.4L but a built 5mge or 7mge would be great too
Old 10-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question: Can the 3.0 be made fast?
Answer: No.

Go with a 3.4, and if you want fast get a Supercharger and URD kit.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
Question: Can the 3.0 be made fast?
Answer: No.

Go with a 3.4, and if you want fast get a Supercharger and URD kit.
Incorrect answer. It certainly can be made fast.

But it costs a lot of $$, time, effort and still won't be a supercharged 3.4.

There are a few Turbo charged 3.0's running out there with good results...
Old 10-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Can the 3.0 be made fast...hmmmmmmm.....

Yes... you could drop it out of an airplane. It will haul ass!!!

However, the 3.4 SC will go fast while still in the vehicle, and that sounds like more what you are looking for.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Q: Can the 3.0 be made fast?
A: Compared to what? A dead turtle? oh yea. Any other internal combustion engine, not without spending a million dollars to redesign it.

I've got over $10k in mine and it's still a slug. Real fast for a 3.slow, but that ain't saying much.
For the $ I invested (read: got suckered into by a crook) I could have put in a 400HP LS1 and a complete driveline beefy enough to handle it.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Out of curiousity, how did you get suckered MonsterMaxx?
Old 10-12-2006, 07:40 PM

A scheming crook named Tim Jenkins, owner of a company called (get this)
Dead On Arrivial Racing convinced me that he could build a high performance 3VZE. The name pretty well describes my experience - how dumb could I be?

Browse around here, you'll find I'm not the only fool he suckered (though it doesn't make me feel any better.) They ran his ass out of Calif and he moved clear accross country to NC. Check the BBB in CA on DOA, you'll find a list of complaints a mile long.

Tim's POS blew in less than 1000 miles - rod knock. He told me to ship it to him and he'd take care of it. BUT before it even arrived, he left a message on my answering machine that I was going to pay for this one. Then his 'inspection' found sawdust in the upper plenum (fresh dust, obviously from crating it) and he claimed it was my fault the engine died and this sawdust was the cause. BS. Then charged me $1500 for his 'inspection'. I had to pay to get my ÅÅÅÅ back.
The crook knew that suing accross country is a prohibively expensive task and he just plain screwed me.

Rebuilt it again here on a tight budget (another $1.5k) fixing the rod and reusing as much as possible and it blew again. We then threw most of Tim's stuff in the trash (block, crank, rods,...) and rebuilt it again (another $3k.) Almost a year of downtime. And all that's not even including all the crap I bought like headers, exhaust, CF clutch and more.

All in all, over $10k in this motor (and now rebuilding it again from a burned piston after only 30kmi - the cause of which seems to be a failed knock sensor, est: $2.5k.) I'm doing even more to it this time and once it's done I'll have the brightest shiniest turd around. I fully expect it to be the fastest of the slugs.

If I seem a bit bitter about the 3.slow, perhaps this will explain why. I really want to do a conversion, but w/ my driveway tilted and no room in the garage it's just not the right time - and I really need my truck running too. But that time is coming soon. If you can wait, I'll be selling a whole system that's proven - no easy task w/ the slow.

My advise to anyone considering trying to get high performance out of a 3VZE to think long and hard before you do. If you have the space & time to do it a conversion will be way cheaper in the long run.

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 10-12-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by bsebllhglyknit
What do you guys think about the 3.2 3vze stroker on toyotaperformance.com Im looking at a new engine and swap possiblities. I have searched and it seems that the 3.4 is popular or the supra ones. give me you imput thanks.
Holy &(*^, I just looked up the engine you are considering.
3VZE 3.2 Stroker V-6 High Performance EnginePrice $8773.07 + s/h

You are out of your freekin mind putting that kind of coin into a 3.slow.

Last edited by MonsterMaxx; 10-12-2006 at 08:05 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lol i would rather have this bet it would stomp all over a built 3.0
Old 10-12-2006, 08:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah that IS steep...but if you got the money to throw at it be my guest, and be sure to post back about it.

Anything can be made fast with enough money...and there a LOT of cheaper options than a 3.0...A GM Goodwrench small block runs 1400 bux new. After all the parts to add to it and you are probably around 2200 bux or so with power that would make most supercharged 3.4's cry - and that is a bone stock bottom of the mill ultra reliable gm smallblock.

Grabbing a GM RamJet 350 with self contained computer for its EFI would run probably be about 3500 or so but have 350hp and a lot more tq...with huge options for upgrading...

Maybe Im crazy for what Im doing but after I do the HG rebuild (oversized valves, 272* duration camshafts, PNP) im going to be turbocharging my 3vze. The bottom end should hold 250hp...Toysrme256th thinks that even 300hp isnt too difficult or hard on the bottom end so long as I can prevent any form of detonation.

Maybe im out of my mind for trying it, but hell chilton and another guy did it, so hell why not?

Goal - get into the 15s on the 1/4 with a 4500lb truck and origional 3vze bottom end.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-12-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by MonsterMaxx
Holy &(*^,
3VZE 3.2 Stroker V-6 High Performance EnginePrice $8773.07 + s/h

You are out of your freekin mind putting that kind of coin into a 3.slow.
I'd do a 4.0 V8 swap for that kind of coin..
Old 10-12-2006, 08:52 PM

soewhere, someone talked about a 3.0 that was rediculously fast. It apparently came from Japan, and was a one of a kind TRD test model, with dual turbos, and was supposed to be ultra fast. BUt dont ask me if I read it here or at 4x4wire. I just dont remember, and no way to do the search, nothing specific about it in the post to make it quick to find.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by trythis
soewhere, someone talked about a 3.0 that was rediculously fast. It apparently came from Japan, and was a one of a kind TRD test model, with dual turbos, and was supposed to be ultra fast. BUt dont ask me if I read it here or at 4x4wire. I just dont remember, and no way to do the search, nothing specific about it in the post to make it quick to find.
Haha...yeah I remember that one too. You read it here and the thread is still around. Supposedly it managed to beat an s/c'd v8 tundra and the turd of a porsche cayenne. And we still don't know if it's real or not.

Like all others, I am gonna agree that you could potentially make the 3VZE fast. There would be plenty of work involved, but if you have money it would be fun to be the first. Other than that, do a V8 swap or something else.
Old 10-13-2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by trythis

it was a 3vzfe... twin cam heads...
Old 10-13-2006, 01:57 PM

what is the biggest cubic inch engine you could fit in the 1995 4runner??? What about reliablity?
Old 10-13-2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by bsebllhglyknit
what is the biggest cubic inch engine you could fit in the 1995 4runner??? What about reliablity?
how much do you want to modify your engine bay and driveline?

With the help of Mr. Acetylene torch and Mr. BFH, i bet you could make a 572ci v8 fit!

(how sick would having 9+ Litres of displacement be???! )

Greg kicks will be done on monday and unless lightning strikes shipped on wednesday along with those kicker ss5.25!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:29 PM

- and that is a bone stock bottom of the mill ultra reliable gm smallblock.

i didnt know there was such a thing. where did you find one?
Old 10-13-2006, 05:53 PM

there are so many ford and chevy hybrid motors its retarded.

Yes, you can make the 3vz actually very powerful, but as they all say: "If you have the money we can do it".

High compression pistons ( I like BRM and Mahle the best)
Custom rods (crower/corrilo)
New crank (they are stout as it is).
Machine a girdle to tie up the bottom end.
Cams (high lift/duration)
5 angle valves.
Velocity stacks inside a large intake manifold box (the longer the stacks the better for low end torque)

Thats pretty much as simple of a "performance" build up you can get. And its easily $4-5,000.

Afterall its still a v6, for a light truck for the 4 liter baja class its great. But for a larger 4000+lb SUV, NO.

Transfer a v8 (LT1 is my liking, carb'd), add a cam and some nice high compression pistons (12:1 maybe if valve clearance is correct) mate it to the stock 5 speed R series of course, and you have a 300+hp and 350+lb/ft torque motor.

The best deal is the WIRING. Carb'd, you have about 5-10 wires MAXIMUM depending on what type of ignition system your running and such. Easy as 1.2.3. to wire up. I could do it in my sleep!

Anywho, its all about the money folks. If you dont have the money, maybe you should rethink your hobbie of automobiles.

PS: I blew $16,000 on my supra in 2 years!

-Jonathan

EDIT: the only downside to having an LT1 is its WEIGHT. If your thinking of a 9 liter, 572 hypo motor, think of how HEAVY that 572 CI is! And LS1 aluminum block/aluminum heads would work but then you would need to source out a carb' kit for it. I am all about keeping it simple and reliable. FI (fuel injection) is just a nightmare to deal with when your swapping a completely different motor in.

Last edited by Simann; 10-13-2006 at 05:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 PM

How much do the companies typically charge for custom built forged pistons and H beam rods? And hell can custom race bearings be made for the 3vze?

Quick Reply: Can A 3.0 be made fast