Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

cam sprocket?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
cam sprocket?

allright i just finished replacing my headgasket cuz i screwed it up trying to put the timing cover on, had to fix an aquardly positioned timing chain, anyways everythings on but the cam sprocket.......and ive tried and tried to get some slack to put it back on but it wont budge, the FSM says to rock the crankshaft back and forth, but yeah not working... any tips?? ive done this b4 in the past but now it seems like it doesent wanna give...
Old 07-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Put a small punch in the hole in the cam lobe, then you can rotate the assembly so you can line up the cam sprocket.

I just did a 22re timing chain last week
Old 07-12-2009, 02:45 PM

dont have a prob with the marks lining up, it feels like the tensioner isnt giving, im using a 12" extension threw one of the holes on the sprocket to pry on and nothing....
Old 07-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

What exactly are you trying to do?

Get the sprocket with the chain attached onto the camshaft?

Is it on the crank sprocket?

I would remove the tensioner and then reinstall once everything is in place. Are you using new parts??

When I was lining everything up, with all the marks dead on the cam sprocket was a few hairs away from lining up with the cam.
So using a small punch inserted into the hole in the cam, just rotate the came back or forth a little so the cam key will line up with the cam sprocket

Last edited by Jay351; 07-12-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:02 PM

lol im reusing parts as its a rebuilt motor, the timing cover was just put back on as well as the head i have the CAM sprocket off of the cam and im trying to reinstall it on the cam with the chain attached, with that being said i cant get the cam sprocket up high enough to reinstall on the cam, normally with enough force you can pull it back onto the cam as the tensioner gives but its not wanting to do this
Old 07-12-2009, 03:15 PM

someone please help....im EXTREMELY close to setting it on fire...
Old 07-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Pull the timing cover and remove the tensioner
Old 07-12-2009, 03:23 PM

bahhh, i JUST put it on!! along with the head, but screw it ill tear it down AGAIN
Old 07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Don't touch the head.

Just remove the oil pump and the drive gear from the crank, then pull the cover.

I know it sucks but hey, you're into it this far, might aswell just do the little extra work (when you look at the big picture) and do it right.

Don't put that stupid oil pump drive gear back onto the crankshaft untill after then cover is on. I did it backwards (like the FSM says to) and nearly ripped the headgasket!

Last edited by Jay351; 07-12-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try reaching down the cover with a long screwdriver and push the tensioner back.Might give you enough slack.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:55 PM

ok this is a FRIGGIN NIGHTMARE i started pulling the bolts to the cover back off, i decided hay might as well give it another shot at trying to get it up there, and viola the tensioner is extremely easy to get it back on like b4, so i figured i had a bolt wrong... so i looked again made sure that should be right, and im turning the motor over by hand and it stops.....im like WTF?? i start looken at all my rockers to make sure im at TDC there all right but i get to the far back left and it looks like the valve is stuck????open.!?!?!?!? i turn it over a lil more i hear a pop and i see that it got pushed up but as soon as the cam rolls around to push it back down it stays.....WTF did i bend a valve or somethin?
Old 07-12-2009, 04:01 PM

I dont see how you could have bent a valve unless you have the timing off a few teeth and the piston hit the valves. Did you have valve problems before you replaced the headgasket?

Last edited by 854x4; 07-12-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:24 PM

negative, the motor ran fine, the timing chain was just a tooth off b4 i started this venture (the guy who rebuilt it i guess didint but the bright links on the marks...) so i pulled the cover and did this, there is NO WAY that the piston hit the valve via bad timing im COMPLETELY LOST...the timing mark on the crankshaft are in position as well as the camshaft, i would have to be retarded to have set it that far off that the piston hit the valve...UGHHH all over a friggin timing chain cover, now im gonna have to pull the head AGAIN and possibly replace ugg....i guess when i figure this friggin thing out ill post some pics of WHAT NOT TO DO or somethin
Old 07-12-2009, 04:41 PM

Ya, one tooth wouldnt let the piston hit the head and if you know about the bright links and timing marks then I highly doubt that you messed the timing up. It seems that it might be a head problem. Try and post some pictures of whats happening.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on things, one tooth might let it hit if you turned the crank backwards and the cam was one tooth retarded- there's a bit of slack on the back side of the chain...

but it does sound like a bent valve.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:38 AM

If you're just trying to get the sprocket back on the camshaft, carefully use a prybar against the front of the head into the center hole of the sprocket, pry up and gently tap the procket onto the cam with the chain properly positioned on the sprocket. It's a little cumbersome (seems like you need three hands) but it will go. Just be careful not to damage the (valve cover) gasket surface of the head. Of course, make sure the cam is turned to the correct position for the alignment pin.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:41 AM

Sidebar to sprocket installation: Make sur eyou have the top bolt into the timing cover installed and torqued before installing the sprocket and also properly torque the sprocket retaining bolt...I think it 56lbs. You can slip a screwdriver thru one of the holes in the sprocket and onto the rocker train to secure the sprocket while applying torque. The screwdriver may bend, so don't use your favorite one!!
Old 07-13-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with Abe, seems like a valve. When you pulled the head where did you put it while you cleaned the block, did you set the head on something that may have hit a valve?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM

haha, i actually used a technique patended by my good friend dustin, lol got all the bolts off n out and broke the head loose then used a ratchet strap on the exhaust manifold studs the straped it up to the side and out of the way so i could clean both surfaces at the same time
Old 07-13-2009, 02:34 PM

on a side note im gonna tear into it right now and ill take some pics b4 to show whats goin on, dont think its off one tooth but we'll see whats up

Quick Reply: cam sprocket?