Calling all lockrite guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 for a v6 lockrite sounds a bit high, but not completly unresonable
Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

I think for Canada it sounds right. Let us know what you do. I am trying to get an e-locker 1st, arb second & lunchbox last. That is the best bang for the buck though.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:27 PM

just do it
Old 11-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
He says they order all the parts from the us. I know we pay taxes on orders from the us, but it should be only around 25 bucks + shipping.

He didnt have an exact number in his head when I talked to him.

but I have been looking over my budget, and it looks like I can manage this. I wont be able to do any mods for a few weeks but we will see
Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jay351

but I have been looking over my budget, and it looks like I can manage this. I wont be able to do any mods for a few weeks but we will see
I'm checking out your sig and wondering what other mods do you need?
Old 11-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
I'm checking out your sig and wondering what other mods do you need?
Well I'l tell you guys what I have waiting to get installed:

front diff(needs to be cleaned up)
rear 3rd
1.5" BJ spacers
rear add-a-leafs (lift unknown)
greasable shackle bolts and polly bushings (might be getting some custom shackles made)
o2 sensor (bolts are melted on exhaust flange)
NGK plug wires (at a friends house)

What I have on order:
13.5" Grant challenger steering wheel (black on black) + adapter

What I need to do:

Fuel filter
whiper motor is starting to make noise
power steering pump is wailing
need a door lock cylinder for my drivers door (attempted break in)
new rad
heli-coil my number 6 cyl spark plug hole (crossthreaded plug)

so, some of these things I can't do myself, so I need to hire my backyard mech to help me out.

I also have to buy insurance on the 15th so thats another 380 bucks.

Last edited by Jay351; 11-11-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Contributing Member

personally i cannot handle driving a vehicle with an auto locker in the rear. i love my arb in the back. i do have a lockright up front and it works great.

like others have mentioned, theres some characteristics of a lock right to get used to but some people dont mind it one bit.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Lockright in the rear of my truck and I think that hands down it was the best money I spent on the truck period.

Everything you do to improve offroad performance to a truck hinders it on road a little, but honestly my locker is almost sompletely transparent. Who cares if it pops going around corners, that just let's me know it's still working back there.

You won't believe the difference it makes offroad either. I can easily do hills in 2wd that I struggled to do in 4wd before. It's amazing. I was in a mud pit yesterday and easily was able to go anywhere I wanted to. It was the first time I have actually enjoyed mud.

And you also have the benefit of having a professional install yours. I put mine in a Zuk built 3rd myself and even though I had never seen a 3rd before i did it, and it's been working fine. (knocks on wood)

I drive my truck 95% on road and the locker doesn't bug me one bit.

I'll second the recommendation of PORC too. And btw, Alex over there talked me out of getting a No Slip...
Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 AM
Contributing Member

I'm sorry... you were "calling lock rite guys".... I am a "AHEM" a GAL....LOL

OK I punked ya there. I don't have a lunchbox locker but I do have a limited slip in Tippy and we all know what Tippy can do... And we ALL know Tippy can do better!

She has a selectable locker up front in her future (instead of her tru-trac) when we (I saw WE loosely....) grenade her front R&P... See I am not busting into that front Diff till we grenade that front R&P and while Tippy has so far been on 21 road, Billings, and Pritchet she just won't BREAK! (She better after calling her out like this!!!!)

Oh lord help..... I need to just get that front done with... with a selectable locker instead of her front Tru Trac!!!!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:55 AM

I say unless you're gonna SAS it, it's pointless to do offroad mods (e.g. lockers) right now.
For example if your roll bar was functional, and you had an SAS, I"d say go for the lockrite - otherwise I don't think you're gonna have an issue as is with the set up you got. These things can get you pretty far with open diffs.
If you're in a situation where lockers are what will make a difference to get you through, you'll probably need some body armour. Do you have sliders? Extra skid plates? Thicker skid plates all around?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
I say unless you're gonna SAS it, it's pointless to do offroad mods (e.g. lockers) right now.
For example if your roll bar was functional, and you had an SAS, I"d say go for the lockrite - otherwise I don't think you're gonna have an issue as is with the set up you got. These things can get you pretty far with open diffs.
If you're in a situation where lockers are what will make a difference to get you through, you'll probably need some body armour. Do you have sliders? Extra skid plates? Thicker skid plates all around?
I think this is a valid point, but can't you do the rear lunchbox & then do whatever you want with the front later? SA or IFS? The rear should work with either one, right? So it's not like he's wasting his money by doing something in the rear axle.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 AM

An IFS truck with lockers can go almost as far as a run of the mill truck that has been SAS'd. Some of the stuff I went through last weekend with IFS would amaze you.

I think it's funny how people on this forum think that unless you're doing an SAS to the truck it's a street queen...
Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Ruh Roh.... you just opened a big ole can of worms for all the IFS guys that can SCHOOL many SAS rigs in their locked IFS rigs! Careful
Old 11-12-2007, 09:06 AM

I'm not saying you CAN'T Wheel with IFS. I NEVER SAID that.

What I am saying is that once you convert to a lockrite, you are making a big statement. You are basically leaning towards a more offroad geared vehicle because no one, and I mean NO ONE gets a lockrite for on road purposes. In fact a Lock rite will make you worse off on the road - aesthetically and performance wise. The type of stuff that you NEED a locker to get through - I want to emphasize the word "NEED" here because there is a difference between what you NEED and what you want, will probably require you to have some body armour and other 4 wheel drive related parts and accessories for your safety and performance.

If he had plans for at least some heavy duty body armour, a front winch, etc, then I might say go for it. But right now it's still just a street queen and I believe his daily driver. Now if it was some ultimate goal of a trail rig - then yeah.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM

The difference between want and need also includes any of having these trucks at all, versus driving a Yugo or something. Your wants and needs will always be different than the next guys wants and needs. And in the end, it's all subjective at best.

Personally I even enjoy my Lockright on the road. I've always wanted to be able to fishtail away from stoplights on wet roads. Now I can do it like I was in a corvette or something.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh hAAAAAHHAAAAAHHAAAAAAHHAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAA

That was probably the funniest thing i've seen here in a LOOOONNNGGG TIME....

I'm seriously wiping the tears out of my eyes...Thank you! I needed a laugh like that!
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 AM

He needs pretty blue NGK plug wires.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:52 AM
Contributing Member

sweet, lots of posts!

Well due to the overwhelming posts saying go for the lockrite, I have decided so.

From what I gather, the added off road ability far outweigh the unique on road handling you get with an auto locker.

I have been in many situations where one of my rear tires has either lifted or simply lost traction due to weight transfer.

I can totally understand where Scott is comming from, this is my DD and I dare say... a street queen. I have lots of trail armor comming in the new year, I.E rear bumper, sliders etc. This all depends on the money flow, as since I am getting the third rebuilt it seems like the perfect time to throw a cheap locker in there, untill the time comes where I either start getting into more major mods, I.E e-locker, sfa... OR I buy a dedicated trail rig.

So my mind has been made up, I will go with the lockrite.

Thanks to everyone who posted up their opinions and helped me out.

YT rocks

p.s Molly, I knew you didnt have a lockrite
Old 11-12-2007, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Green93
He needs pretty blue NGK plug wires.
pfff, you suck so bad
Old 11-12-2007, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
sweet, lots of posts!

Well due to the overwhelming posts saying go for the lockrite, I have decided so.

From what I gather, the added off road ability far outweigh the unique on road handling you get with an auto locker.

I have been in many situations where one of my rear tires has either lifted or simply lost traction due to weight transfer.

I can totally understand where Scott is comming from, this is my DD and I dare say... a street queen. I have lots of trail armor comming in the new year, I.E rear bumper, sliders etc. This all depends on the money flow, as since I am getting the third rebuilt it seems like the perfect time to throw a cheap locker in there, untill the time comes where I either start getting into more major mods, I.E e-locker, sfa... OR I buy a dedicated trail rig.

So my mind has been made up, I will go with the lockrite.

Thanks to everyone who posted up their opinions and helped me out.

YT rocks

p.s Molly, I knew you didnt have a lockrite
Jay,

If you are in a situation where one of your rear tires has lost traction which causes it to spin because of the open diff on it's axle, this is why you have an entire front differential with 2 tires, and that 4 HI or 4 LO transfer case in your truck. A selectable or non-selectable lunch box type of diff might not neccessarily be a benefit in this case. Even with a locker the rear end can spin out from underneath you if you don't know how to use it properly. You need a locker when there is a situation where one tire on each axle could lose traction or have significantly reduced traction at the same time. This means you're running through some pretty hair shat and you're going to likely need some beefed up body armour to help. Adding mud tires, which you have done, combined with a lunch box locker, which you appear to plan on doing, are things that aren't very catering towards winter performance. Maybe off the beaten path in deep snow, but ice or compacted snow you're gonna be spinning like a mofo. Yeah it doesn't happen that often in the LML but I know poeple who have spun out and crashed into a pole after hitting black ice.

I say save your money - let it accmulate - and figure out what your goals are with your rig. I know exactly what you are going through - your mech threw out an option for you that you probably didn't consider or think about and now your head has almost exploded!

Quick Reply: Calling all lockrite guys