Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cabin water leak? near driver side kick panel

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
-You can take your carpet out, to get it dry...
-Perfect moment to unscrew the shifters boot and take a look at how your shifter seats are doing...!

http://www.brian894x4.com/Shifter.html
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota-maintenance/manual-transmission-sloppy-shifting-try-a-new-shifter-seat

Last edited by morena67; 12-27-2010 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morena67
-You can take your carpet out, to get it dry...
-Perfect moment to unscrew the shifters boot and take a look at how your shifter seats are doing...!

http://www.brian894x4.com/Shifter.html
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota-maintenance/manual-transmission-sloppy-shifting-try-a-new-shifter-seat
Already drying the carpet.

Regarding the shifters, it's pretty easy to access them anytime.

Keep focused
Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...hehe...
...Yeap...
...Sorry...
...Good luck man...!
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM

sure enough it was leaking through the window. I pulled off the apolstery/vinyl cover on the inside of the cabin that hides where the windshield attaches to the frame. During the rain, I could see that water was dripping about 3/4ths of the way down.

I used some silcone used for motor homes. I didn't take my time so it looks not so great, but I'm okay with that.

I'm dry.

(so far...)

Originally Posted by briholt
So, I went ahead and started pulling a few things apart. ..
Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM

So, on the 3rd day of rain, it leaked. Looks like I jinxed it last night.

This is why people don't update their threads with a fix...

I think I still have a few spots I can calk.

sure enough it was leaking through the window. I pulled off the apolstery/vinyl cover on the inside of the cabin that hides where the windshield attaches to the frame. During the rain, I could see that water was dripping about 3/4ths of the way down.

I used some silcone used for motor homes. I didn't take my time so it looks not so great, but I'm okay with that.

I'm dry.

(so far...)
Old 05-28-2011, 09:25 AM

I thought I should my problem here before starting a new thread. I have a cabin leak (passenger side) that I am trying to figure out.

Background: The lower part of the window seal (mostly passenger side lower corner) was leaking pretty good due to the seal rotting, so I took care of that last summer. I basically cut out all the old seal along the entire lower half of the windshield, made sure everything was clean, and injected urethane to seal everything up. That helped with most of the water coming in, but I still had a leak somewhere. I couldn't see any water from the inside of the window seal (I could before), so I was at a loss.

So, after running across a couple threads like this one, I am thinking it may be something other than the window. Maybe the cab joints or I read about a vent seal that is under the cowling that usually goes bad.

The water is apparently getting into my glove box, and dripping down onto my floor mat (thankfully not my carpet!), but I can't even see where it is coming from. I can see water on the top edge of the glove box (see pic). I don't know where the location of the vent is or where the joints are, but for water to get on the glove box like that, it must be pretty high, close to the windshield. I also saw some water on the wire loom.

Water on glove box:
Name:  IMG_4942.jpg
Views: 1798
Size:  51.9 KB

Water on wire loom:
Name:  IMG_4944.jpg
Views: 1797
Size:  93.3 KB

Any ideas? I will take the cowling off to see what I can see.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Still guessing windshield, but hey, I'm way over here. Should go with Dow Corning 795, adheres and lasts 100x better than urethane. Something though, water on your ECu and COR gets expensive quickly.

Last edited by jbtvt; 04-24-2012 at 01:28 PM. Reason: window= windshield, oops
Old 05-29-2011, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by jbtvt
Still guessing window, but hey, I'm way over here. Should go with Dow Corning 795, adheres and lasts 100x better than urethane. Something though, water on your ECu and COR gets expensive quickly.
Yeah I kept thinking it is the window, but after reading about other possibilities (body joints, vent) I at least want to check them out. I spent a lot of time getting the old seal cleaned out and the urethane back in there...I want to say I am confident its not the window but you never know.

Thankfully the only place I see the water dripping is onto the center of my floormat, coming off my glove box. There was water dripping onto the kick panel that covers the ECU, but that was went the window was leaking for sure...that has since stopped when I fixed the window seal.

Water leaks are the worst!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is where my latest leak is coming from (the turn signal wire grommet). Will I be able to get in there with silicone if I remove the inner fender splash shield? Or will I need to remove the fender?

Thanks man, here is another potential leak source

Here is a single pic from that thread to give an idea:

Old 04-20-2012, 06:33 PM

I finally found the source of my leak. While the turn signal wire grommet may have also been leaking, the main source was actually coming from the seam/ridge above the grommet. Unlikely source, but it looks like these trucks are glued together in more spots than welded.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by stanz
I finally found the source of my leak. While the turn signal wire grommet may have also been leaking, the main source was actually coming from the seam/ridge above the grommet. Unlikely source, but it looks like these trucks are glued together in more spots than welded.
... Or maybe not.... pulled off the fender, sealed up (overkilled it) the wire grommet and the side seams outside the cowl (looked suspect). Sure enough, I buttoned it all back up and I still have water coming in from the front most corner as high up to the furthest most point I can reach. Ugh!!! This truck is killing me!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72188695@N05/7108458849/
Old 04-24-2012, 01:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the common theme in this thread is the windshield, 9+ times out of 10. I've seen it on three of my Yotas, and IMO if your windshield doesn't doesn't look like this

Name:  IMG_0914.jpg
Views: 1867
Size:  117.5 KB

you're going to have water coming in at some point, if you don't already. Scrap the trim, scrape out the channels, soak with phosphoric acid, rinse and caulk with DC 795.

Last edited by jbtvt; 04-24-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Thanks. The windshield is 2 mos old. I got a good look at the channels when the glass was out and they are cherry, absolutely no rust.

I'm taking it back to the glass shop tomorrow to have them inspect it
Old 04-24-2012, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm driving an 89 (which i LOVE) and I'm having the same problem. Check the seal around the steering shaft where it goes through the firewall. Thats where mine is coming through. It's an easy fix. Hardest part is finding a new seal for it. If you can find one let me know where you got it.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
I'm driving an 89 (which i LOVE) and I'm having the same problem. Check the seal around the steering shaft where it goes through the firewall. Thats where mine is coming through. It's an easy fix. Hardest part is finding a new seal for it. If you can find one let me know where you got it.
Definitely not the source of my leak. Yours is easy to fix, however. Just get a tube silicone and some popsickle sticks. Clean the surfaces well first, then load the silicone on heavy and use the sticks to smooth it out.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by SPARKS89
I had to replace that too. Did it last year so not exactly sure what site I found it on. Did some searching and I think this one might help you.

https://parts.olathetoyota.com/toyotapickupparts.html