Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Buying 1986 4runner today

Old 12-11-2011, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying 1986 4runner today

Im planning in buying a 4runner today it has a 22re. When purchasing this 4runner what are some common problems I should look for? I don't know much about mechanics so I need some help please. The 4runner is all stock with 60,000 miles on motor and 240,00 on the body. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are you located? I still don't understand Y some people don't put there location, at least put your state! Your not putting your address, so if by chance someone wanted to steal your rig they would have to spend the time to find you.

1st thing is get dirty and low, get on your back all over and check for rust, if frame is bad it's like a house with bad foundation and that you don't want, most frame die from inside out, pull the frame plugs on the outside of frame and feel inside with your fingers and feel for any kind of crap sitting on the bottom, if you feel rust flakes you can be sure it's dying inside out, if you feel nothing and the inside feels smooth then your good to go, and don't feel inside one hole, feel inside both sides and every hole, it should be nice and clean inside, anything that'll keep mosture inside!!!!

If frame is good then everything else can be fixed or replaced :}

Just do the normal inspection, get dirty and check everything!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm located in northern California. Are the frame plugs easy to spot under the frame, or do you have to do a bit of searching for them?
Old 12-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Although its good to look for rust, in Cali it's not a major issue.

I would check the axles for torn boots, check for leaks, especially for any signs of head gasket failure such as bubbling radiator.

Check the dip stick to see what the oil looks like. Look at the tires to see how worn they are and if they are wearing evenly.

Check the operation of the windows going up and down.

All of these things I mentioned are repairable but they should be noted to assess how much it's going to cost to make it a reliable rig and in the negotiation of the price.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:08 PM

yea in California, but like alot of members they don't put there location under there avatars, he didn't, so the main issue is frame rust! So that is why I told him to 1st check and what I check for 1st then, I made sure my current 93 had a rust free frame then I check other items after that was done when inspecting a toy of any year, everything else can be fixed or replaced a little bit at a time!!!!

Quote: what are some common problems I should look for?

Common problem on toys of all the years is frame rust!!!!

U can't miss the frame plugs there plastic on the frame rails and just pop off and stick your finger in and just check, hate to have you buy it and brake in half as you drive home :}LOL
Old 12-11-2011, 04:07 PM

ask about the clutch. check the oil level/condition, coolant too. thats about all you can do without tearing the thing apart in front of them. ask about tranny, t-case, and diff oil changes. if auto, when was last flush and filter?

they will probly lie and tell you its all great but you never know. the c/v boots are a big one too if its 4x4. if they're ripped, consider the joints themselves on their way out the door. may be able to knock some bucks off.

good luck, and remember make sure when you first show up to walk completely around the truck, hands in pockets, and kick each tire with the inside of your foot

if it turns out you buy a truck that needs a bunch more work than you thought when you handed the cash, there's plenty of help here
Old 12-11-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks everyone for all the replies, I was supposed to go check out the 4runner today but got to busy. Hoping he still has it by Tuesday. He's got one other guy looking at it too so it's first come first serve.