Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Broke my passenger side CV flange!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Broke my passenger side CV flange!!!

So, it looks like the weld or something failed on my passenger side CV drive flange, Half of the flange is still bolted to the CV axle and the stub is still in the diff and honestly I have no idea how I'm going to tackle getting this out. There is a locker in the center so its not like I can just drop the backing plate and sneak a punch or something in between the stub and the pin to pull it out. Anyone ever run into this problem or have an advice? I searched and searched but couldn't find anything.. maybe I'm calling it the wrong part?

Def solid axle swapping next year but this will have to last for now!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:31 AM

I do remember it being a pretty snug fit when I put it together too and there's no room to sneak a pry bar around whats left anywhere because of the dust cover!
Old 02-25-2010, 11:00 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh hold up a minute!

You're rocking IFS with 38's, 5:71's and you broke the stub axle flange! WOW!

Got any pics of the ring & pinion b/f you put it in?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:03 AM

Nah I didn't take pics of it when I put it together, I've ran this set up for a while now, no complaints, no broken CV shafts and I do some pretty hard stuff, climbing wash outs, deeps mud, deep water, or just enjoying the trails. As you can see it sheered right off like a bottle cap though... I'm on boggers at that too lol. A solid axle is def in my future but my moneys going into my house, son and garage first!

Last edited by Booosted Supra; 02-25-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Yeah..it happens to the best of us. Here's a couple threads to look at about it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...re-cvs-124847/
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/...shafts-132417/

Here's what mine looked like:

Here's how to "fix" it.

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
And on top of that! You have the AAD axle... Man I can't believe you got that far!

After reading a post by Zuk, and seeing this thread, I'm starting to think the IFS is stronger than we think...

It's just got too many moving parts is the real problem... I don't think it's inherently "weak".
Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 AM

And is that the same sides I'm seeing?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 AM

Yes.

Your looking at what could be the weakest part of the front axle there. That or the ring & pinion, I've ruined a couple of those now too. Then the side gears, ruined a set of those as well. Lastly CV's, passenger side CV outer was the last part to go on mine anyway.

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-25-2010 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
And on top of that! You have the AAD axle... Man I can't believe you got that far!

After reading a post by Zuk, and seeing this thread, I'm starting to think the IFS is stronger than we think...

It's just got too many moving parts is the real problem... I don't think it's inherently "weak".
Nah I'm converted over from A.D.D. I did that like 5 years ago, it was one of my first mods to my 4Runner. Honestly I really would much rather have a solid axle trust me but I dont think IFS gets enough credit, if its set up right and you know you its limitations in off camber situations then I think your fine. I wheel with a lot of local Yota guys and a lot of them are IFS and of course there are a few who has SAS.

Thank you Mud Hippy! Yours actually looks like it twisted off behind the dust shield and on the actual shaft.. wow haha, its crazy how clean they just snap like that, I was thinking the same thing with running a strong bead around it to see if it works. Any failures with this mod yet?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:10 AM

On IFS I managed to sheer half of the splines off that stub but never totally broke it, also wrecked 2 R&P's. Look at what IFS was designed for, a better/safer ride on the road with 29-31" tires. I was surprised at the abuse it did take when I ran it though.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM

lol I think I like your birfield carnage better than the stub shaft hahaha I never seen anything like that when you showed me
Old 02-25-2010, 11:17 AM

God I miss the old days of over engineered Toyota's... snif...

Beaniam, what size tires did you run with?

Holy crap this threads gonna be responsible for me rethinking the way I'm planning on building a few trucks and Runners...
Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 AM

Hey Mudhippy, I may have over looked it when I read the threads but what method did you use to get the remaining shaft out? I saw the weld a bolt on method and the pry from the center pin method(which isn't possible in my case with the locker) Was there another method you used?

Boosted, did you change out the AAD diff as well as the hubs? Or hubs only?

I've got a few 86-95 fronts and one Tacoma... That I've got plans for... A NP241(?) behind a A340 or AX? so I can get AWD, 4WD and 2WD

mmmm.... Hand brake turns...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-25-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Beans on 37 Boggers SAS now and was on 33's or 35's if I remember correctly Baja claws IFS
Old 02-25-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
Boosted, did you change out the AAD diff as well as the hub? Or hubs only?

I've got a few 86-95 fronts and one Tacoma... That I've got plans for... A NP241(?) behind a A340 or AX? so I can get AWD, 4WD and 2WD
I switched out the driver side axle tube with a 86 4 cylinder truck tube, deleted the vacuum lines, VSV switches on the passenger side firewall, the drive flanges on the hubs were converted to Aisin manual hubs. Everything works great the only thing that don't work anymore is my green 4WD light doesn't light up anymore because it is an incomplete circuit from the transfer case switch but whatever its stronger than A.D.D. I fix A.D.D. problems all day at work with newer and older Toyota's
Old 02-25-2010, 11:32 AM

Gotcha, Boosted...

hmmm... Me wonders if a guy that was gonna "build" and IFS stuck can have the stub axle Cryoed or shot peened for added strength...?
Old 02-25-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Booosted Supra
lol I think I like your birfield carnage better than the stub shaft hahaha I never seen anything like that when you showed me
Haha that was a 30 spline longfield... not a birf.

http://beaniam.com/cars/truck/carnage/6.jpg

And yes I was on 33" baja claws when I was IFS and started breaking stuff.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Booosted Supra
Hey Mudhippy, I may have over looked it when I read the threads but what method did you use to get the remaining shaft out? I saw the weld a bolt on method and the pry from the center pin method(which isn't possible in my case with the locker) Was there another method you used?
I went ahead and pulled the crossmember that the front diff cover bolts to. Then unbolted the cover and knocked the shaft remainder out from the inside with a hammer and a big ol' drift pin, IIRC. They pop right out pretty easy like that.

Drained the oil first, of course...

Last edited by MudHippy; 02-25-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by MudHippy
I went ahead and pulled the crossmember that the front diff cover bolts to. Then unbolted the cover and knocked the shaft remainder out from the inside with a big ol' center punch. They pop right out pretty easy like that.
Can't get to it with a locker in there instead of spider gears.

Quick Reply: Broke my passenger side CV flange!!!