86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake question!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake question!

I got my brakes done at Les Schwab a couple of years ago and have had problems with them ever since. I recently redid them myself, and it ends up I'm missing the anti-rattle clips. When driving, I hear a clicking noise that stops when you apply the brakes. It is pretty loud. It also rattles pretty good when I go over bumps. I never had this problem before I had my brakes redone at Les Schwab; I think they disposed of the hardware! I know I'm missing these parts, but the problem is that I can't find a good diagram or information on what I need. CSK auto lists a part that they can't even order. Autozone has a metal contraption that I can't even begin to figure out how it would attach to the brakes, let alone make it stop rattling. The dealer listed something similar to what Autozone sold me. Does anybody have a good diagram or can give me a good description of the anti-rattle clips/springs needed for 4X4 brakes on a '92 4runner? I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:59 PM

So you need a new set of anti rattle clips? The dealership should have your info for sure
Old 10-28-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Posting a picture of what you have will make it easier for people to tell you what you're missing.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's a picture of what hardware should be there.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:25 AM

I got mine at Autozoned
Old 10-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup if you're missing that stuff it will cause some small problems. Another thing I firmly believe in as well is if you replace one caliper, you replace the other caliper. What kind of work did they do? Might help nail it down.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:59 AM

Thank you for that picture. That helps. I have the side clip thingies. That spring that goes between the two pads is only on my left brake. When I went to the dealer and asked for that part, they said that it is only on 91 and earlier. 92's have a different part. Autozone sold me the same part that the dealer told me I needed. The only problem is that I can't figure out how it is supposed to be installed! Here is a link to the part that autozone sold me since I can't figure out how to post pictures...

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP1438202...ductDetail.htm

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-28-2007, 10:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you guys will crap your pants when you hear my brakes

i too got mine done and got a "special" deal and that meant i got the crappiest pads that squeak bad..

sucks when you pick up girls...
Old 10-28-2007, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by tortex53
I got my brakes done at Les Schwab a couple of years ago and have had problems with them ever since. I recently redid them myself, and it ends up I'm missing the anti-rattle clips. When driving, I hear a clicking noise that stops when you apply the brakes. It is pretty loud. It also rattles pretty good when I go over bumps. I never had this problem before I had my brakes redone at Les Schwab; I think they disposed of the hardware! I know I'm missing these parts, but the problem is that I can't find a good diagram or information on what I need. CSK auto lists a part that they can't even order. Autozone has a metal contraption that I can't even begin to figure out how it would attach to the brakes, let alone make it stop rattling. The dealer listed something similar to what Autozone sold me. Does anybody have a good diagram or can give me a good description of the anti-rattle clips/springs needed for 4X4 brakes on a '92 4runner? I would greatly appreciate it!
From the dealer, there is actually 2 kits you can get. One is the shim kit, this is the shims on the back of the pads and a release spring if equipped. Next kit is the one you are after, called the "fit" of "fitting kit" and its the clips at each end of the pads where they go into the anchor plates. Les Schwab is great with tires, but there brake overhauls consist of all new rebuilt calipers. Problem with their calipers is the plating has been all bead blasted off, so they rust up fast and stick.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:35 AM

You will need to pull the pad retaining pins to put in the anti rattle spring. You'll see what I mean if you take it apart.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:43 AM

The new springs that you got should work for you. You hook one end behind one of the brake caliper pins, and snap the other end over the other brake caliper pins. It doesn't really matter which end goes up and which end goes down. And for that kind of spring, you don't need to remove the caliper pins to install them.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Luvmeye22re
You will need to pull the pad retaining pins to put in the anti rattle spring. You'll see what I mean if you take it apart.
The anti ratle spring, we call the "W" clip. Thats what is kinda looks like. Anyway, it does matter which way it goes in. It needs to be on the bottom pin where the caliper is behind the rotor. This not only keeps the pads from rattling left to right, but front to back. And on the bottom, it pushes the pads forward, so when you apply the brakes, the pads are alread forward, this keeps them from doing a "click" each time you step on the brakes. Now it wont work too well backwards, but you are usually moving slow in reverse and only brake a few times that way. After you have this "W" clip in place, kinda pull out on the middle of the "W" to wind it up so to speak, this will keep the clip from rubbing on the rotor and cutting through it as the pads wear down.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
The anti ratle spring, we call the "W" clip. Thats what is kinda looks like. Anyway, it does matter which way it goes in. It needs to be on the bottom pin where the caliper is behind the rotor. This not only keeps the pads from rattling left to right, but front to back. And on the bottom, it pushes the pads forward, so when you apply the brakes, the pads are alread forward, this keeps them from doing a "click" each time you step on the brakes. Now it wont work too well backwards, but you are usually moving slow in reverse and only brake a few times that way. After you have this "W" clip in place, kinda pull out on the middle of the "W" to wind it up so to speak, this will keep the clip from rubbing on the rotor and cutting through it as the pads wear down.
He doesn't have a W clip. He has a '92, which uses the new style anti-rattle spring. See the pic in post #7.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
He doesn't have a W clip. He has a '92, which uses the new style anti-rattle spring. See the pic in post #7.
OK, seen it. That design also has a "backwards", make sure the looped end goes upward. The idea is it also keeps the pads pushed forward.